(36 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 05-Apr-20 08:16:26

‘Ride on, ride on in majesty
In lowly pomp ride on to die,
Bow your meek head to mortal pain,
Then take oh God your power and reign.

Yogagirl Sun 05-Apr-20 08:22:31

Hello Anniebach hope you're ok x
I worked on a Sunday, so always missed going to church, now all my work has gone I still can't go sad

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Apr-20 08:22:45

Thank you Annie

sodapop Sun 05-Apr-20 08:23:24

Easter was always such an important time when I was young Annie the services in chapel and the traditional hymns to remind us of the love of God. Not sure many people now are aware of the significance of Palm Sunday.

rubysong Sun 05-Apr-20 10:23:02

We've just watched a Palm Sunday service from our local church (the people, not the building). The rector plus others were all on the screen in their own homes doing the readings, prayers etc. It was a good option as we cannot worship together.

M0nica Sun 05-Apr-20 11:27:32

One of my local churches live streams mass every Sunday. The site behind it hosts lots of catholic churches in the UK, Ireland and the Unites States and the temptation is to try a different church every week.

As it is, the camera 'froze' partway through so I looked up another church whose service began at the same time and moved that one for the rest of mass.

Baggs Sun 05-Apr-20 11:32:02

I only realised it was Palm Sunday today because I saw an Easter Bunny walking about a village that I passed through on my way to do our weekly shop. The bunny was very big and was carrying a palm cross.

Cue me ratcheting up memories of my religious upbringing: oh! that means next Sunday is Easter Sunday.

I love Spring/Eostre

grandMattie Sun 05-Apr-20 11:32:36

We’ve just watched a service from Hereford cathedral. It was lovely to “attend”. Sadly, our vicar is a technophobe, so we haven’t had contact with any services, virtual or otherwise...

Marydoll Sun 05-Apr-20 11:33:04

We also watched Palm Sunday Mass from a local church. The technology was well done, clear screen and good audio.

I kept thinking I heard another voice, although I knew there should only be one priest.
Then to my amazement I saw another priest, standing in the corner, a very old friend, whom I hadn't seen for years, who had been very ill in the last year.
It lightened up my day. smile

b1zzle Sun 05-Apr-20 11:35:46

And for the first Sunday in years, I have no palm cross.

Marydoll Sun 05-Apr-20 11:38:01

On the Mass I was watching, the priest suggested using a branch instead, as they were also spread on the road, along with palms.

Nonnie Sun 05-Apr-20 11:50:29

There is a green hill far away has always been my favourite hymn. I even remember it was number 59 in our school hymnbook.

Lots of different churches are doing online services now. Our local C o E does one and it is quite amateurish which makes it feel more real, like you are part of it, in a way that a slick production wouldn't do. We plan to watch next Sunday with other members of the family in our own homes.

Marydoll ours suggested we use felt tip on the palm of our hands and hold them up instead of a palm cross. Some people had made paper ones.

Trudy1925 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:50:58

Happy Palm Sunday everyone. Over the last few years I’ve returned to the church, though I missed this mornings service due to a bad night. I will attend the 6.30pm one later. I’m in sunny Surrey and send warmest wishes, to enjoy this lovely weather.

Nonnie Sun 05-Apr-20 11:51:33

Bit off the point but I remember years ago when I was in hospital trying not t miscarry and one of the admin staff came in and gave me a palm cross.

Trudy1925 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:52:03

Online of course!

Trudy1925 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:53:34

Oh that’s lovely Nonnie. I hope you and baby were both ok.

Smileless2012 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:15:51

Thanks for this thread Anniesmile our ladies choir should have been singing today.

I love that hymn too Nonnie it always brings a tear to my eye.

3nanny6 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:23:54

Happy Palm Sunday to all and what a lovely verse for the thread. I just watched the service from Hereford Cathedral it was lovely. I am going on one of the streaming webs in a while to engage myself in the hour long mass, do not know why but have felt tearful and the mass always calms me.
Have a peaceful blessed day all.

PamelaJ1 Sun 05-Apr-20 12:42:24

Blzzle - share mine.

geekesse Sun 05-Apr-20 12:47:43

I dug around and found an old palm cross, so I have tied it to a bunch of greenery and fixed it to my front door.

Judy54 Sun 05-Apr-20 13:52:12

Joined in on a conference call for Palm Sunday with our church. It was lovely to be able to worship and pray together.

Doodle Sun 05-Apr-20 14:13:34

There’s a Church service on the radio for anyone who can’t get a local one.

jacq10 Sun 05-Apr-20 14:26:38

I have the last palm my DH received tucked behind a wall plate near his chair. It fairly collects the dust but I don't intend taking it down. It comforts me to have his bits and pieces around.

M0nica Sun 05-Apr-20 15:13:19

For any catholics, here is the site behind most streamed catholic services. You can choose your time and church you want to 'attend' As I said I swapped churches when the camera at my local church froze and showed no desire to unfreeze. I started mass in Oxfordshire and completed it in Scotland. www.churchservices.tv/country/england/

Grannmarie Sun 05-Apr-20 16:24:50

I watched my own parish's online Mass for Palm Sunday this morning, glad I still have last year's palm.

We are fortunate to have daily online Mass, plus Scripture reflections and Afternoon Prayers from the Psalms.

From Monday the Rosary will be prayed daily at 12.00.

Another local parish also has Stations of the Cross and Benediction.

I've never prayed so much in my life!

I thank God daily for the technology to keep in touch with our family, friends and Faith.