Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Masks compulsory in church from 8th August (and other religious buildings)

(32 Posts)
B9exchange Fri 31-Jul-20 13:59:28

This is crazy, I can sit in a restaurant all evening, surrounded by others laughing, talking, eating, drinking, but I can't sit in a lofty cathedral, more than 2 metres from anyone else, for 45 minutes without wearing a mask. Apart from taking communion, when I am permitted to take it off briefly in order to insert the bread.

Then I can go into the on site cafe and take it off whilst spending the same amount of time chatting to friends.

Someone is losing the plot!

Lucca Thu 29-Oct-20 16:44:22

Yes Toadunthehole and I said:
I agree with B9. Its illogical

I disagree with Granny Rose,

I just can’t bear hearing whingeing about masks sorry.

B9exchange Thu 29-Oct-20 18:34:34

Are you sure no pun intended Toadinthe hole? I rather loved it! smile

M0nica Thu 29-Oct-20 18:48:32

No, illte it is the fact that the chances of passing on COVID at a church service where people are socially distanced and singing and other respiratory challenging activites are banned, not to mention the lack of staff moving from group to group, touching crockery,and cutlery, wiping tables and brushing against customers, is likely to be far lower than in a cafe, but that the level of protection expected in a church is far higher than that expected in a cafe.

I could add that six people each from a different household can meet, but two households cannot meet if there are 7 of them. Which is the greater risk, the meeting with people from six households or a meeting of 2 households that is slightly more than 6?

It is the inconsistency and illogical nature of many of the rules that is so exasperating and leads people to ignore them

mokryna Thu 29-Oct-20 18:52:38

I thought that the widest European spreader of Covid was caused at a meeting in a church near Mulhouse. Then there was another church meeting in South Korea. Here, recently it was masks and distancing until now, I suppose it will go back to screens.

Illte Thu 29-Oct-20 19:00:22

I don’t disagree with you MOnica. I suppose I was just trying to understand what it was about the mask that was so upsetting the OP. That’s what she posted about.

If I’m honest I still don’t really see what difference having a mask on makes.

M0nica Thu 29-Oct-20 20:07:45

The OP is not remotely upset about wearing a mask, it is just, like me, she doesn't understand the inconsistencies that insist on masks in places where the risk is low compared with high risk places where masks are not required.

There are so many cases where this occurs.

Mokryna both the cases you mention date back to the start of corona and the churches concerned were attended as if there was no risk, so people were packed in, no social distancing, and there was singing, unison prayers etc etc.

Every church I know now has rigid, social distancing, booking in advance and no singing chanting or doing anything that might lead to more droplets and aerosol getting in to the atmosphere than if 2 people were quietly talking.

This church is an example of many such events. I mentioned the 6 from 6 households, then there is the exemptions for so many people. Surely if you cannot wear a mask, you should not go into a masked situation at all. Just shield as many people did during the first lockdown. Yes, of course it will be hard for some. but that applies to all these restrictions. If the government are happy to see someone with a respiratory problem and who can't wear a mask go into a situation where healthy people are expected to wear masks because of the danger, we are truly living in cloud cuckoo land.