Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

If you are religious and practising - are you still in the same Denomination you grew up with- or did you move away from family tradition?

(61 Posts)
biba70 Sun 22-Nov-20 20:33:36

Really interested, thanks.

Billybob4491 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:53:48

The faith I have now is the one I was born into, and it forms a very important part of my life.

mrshat Thu 14-Jan-21 19:39:54

Born and brought up as a Catholic and I still practise. It is a different church now to the one of my youth. No more 'Hell and Damnation' but a lot more 'Love and understanding'.

welbeck Thu 14-Jan-21 20:05:23

BlueBelle

Somehow I think organised religion is the worst kind surely real religion is about trying to do things right, making mistakes and trying again and doesn’t need a name which just causes divisions and competition

Mrs Do-as-you-would-be-done-by.

nanna8 Fri 15-Jan-21 05:43:31

I find a lot of love and support in my little bible study group- only 6 of us but we all trust and support each other and, yes, we are part of an 'organised' church. Have to wonder why an atheist would come on a thread like this? Just curious.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 03:24:17

Missfoodlove

The quote is " Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man"

It's about the importance of the early years and isn't sinister at all but a statement of the fact that we all learn the important things in life when we are very young.

MadFerretLady Sat 13-Feb-21 22:17:54

Non religious parents, took myself off to a Methodist Sunday school and took bible exams! We moved and got involved at local c of e. Met my husband and went Pentecostal and then house church and the got disillusioned and back to c of e where you are allowed to debate, and lament and be real... and trained as a priest later in life...

B9exchange Sat 13-Feb-21 22:24:35

We received a letter today from a member of the clergy at the cathedral we go to. It was a lovely letter, and a card for Ash Wednesday. As we cannot go and have ashes put on our foreheads as we would usually do, the card had a cross made of ashes on it, and a prayer for Ash Wednesday on the back. I thought it was just such a lovely thing to do, to know that we hadn't been forgotten.

Rosie51 Sat 13-Feb-21 22:57:17

I was born into a "hatch, match, and dispatch" nominally CofE family. Attended a Methodist Sunday school for a couple of years when they canvassed my estate for children who would like to attend. Then nothing for years. Had children and the two eldest wanted to go to Methodist junior Church because some friends did. The younger two followed and they were all baptised, by their own request. I gradually got more and more involved, and eventually confirmed myself into the Methodist Church. I love the "lowness" of Methodism, my brother went the other way and is high Church of England. My parents were never Church goers but seemed pleased their children became ones.

BlueSapphire Sat 13-Feb-21 23:28:44

Brought up strict Methodist (my DM's denomination and DF joined to keep the peace, but he was originally Anglican). Sunday school followed by chapel in the morning, followed by Sunday school again in the afternoon. Hated it.

My lovely aunty used to take me to C of E evensong regularly and I loved the rituals of the Anglican church, and ended up being confirmed when I went to an Anglican teacher training college. Loved the candles, music and rituals of morning prayer, communion and evensong. I felt at home.

Funnily enough DM started attending her local Anglican church in her later years, and three of us in the family were confirmed into the church, and my brother became an Anglican priest.

Cabbie21 Sun 14-Feb-21 08:49:05

Similar to BlueSapphire above, I was brought up in a Christian family, with Baptist service in the morning, Sunday school in the afternoon, but I wasn’t sure this was the right place for me, so I waited till I went away to university. There was an Anglican Church lots of students went to and I felt at home. I was baptised and confirmed on the same day. I am still an Anglican. I love the liturgy and the music, though I enjoy more modern styles too. In lockdown our Vicar has been very creative with Celtic and Iona liturgies over zoom, as well as Common Worship.