Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

If you are religious and practising - are you still in the same Denomination you grew up with- or did you move away from family tradition?

(61 Posts)
biba70 Sun 22-Nov-20 20:33:36

Really interested, thanks.

Judy54 Mon 23-Nov-20 14:05:14

I posted sometime ago about struggling with my catholic faith. Born and brought up a catholic but now very happily attend an Anglican church with an amazing Vicar and warm and welcoming community.

Susan56 Mon 23-Nov-20 19:37:11

Brought up attending the United Reformed Church and still attend now.

Missfoodlove Mon 23-Nov-20 20:25:57

Terribull, I too was brought up a Catholic, it was all “Hell and Damnation”.

The nuns and the brothers were hard and cruel.

Out two sons had the benefit of a Jesuit education, it was the founder of the Jesuits who made famous the quote “ Give me the boy from the age of 7”
However it’s often said the actual quote was “give me the boy from the age of 7 and he’s mine for life”.
A little sinister perhaps?

They loved their school and still have a great connection to the Jesuits, our youngest worked with the Jesuit missions in India before university.
The eldest often takes himself off to “ Farm St for Sunday Mass.

We never rammed it down their throats, they each have a healthy relationship with the Church.

I wish my experience had been the same.

I feel the Catholic Church still has a long way to go.
All the abuse has been swept under the carpet.
I still sometimes feel ashamed of what the Church has done.

TerriBull Mon 23-Nov-20 21:02:51

I think missfoodlove that's why I didn't bring my children up as Catholics, well not in any religion really. They did go to a Church of England primary school though and got a pretty good elementary education in the Christian religion, but there wasn't the indoctrination that Catholic schools tended to foist on their pupils, maybe they're not so bad now. I believe in people making an informed choice about religion and they can only do that when they are mature enough to make such a decision for themselves.

DillytheGardener Mon 23-Nov-20 21:15:12

I was brought up Church of England

DillytheGardener Mon 23-Nov-20 21:32:10

Whoops I hit post by accident, Church of England, but was never fussed or interested and didn’t Christen either of my sons.

Tweedle24 Mon 23-Nov-20 21:56:51

I was baptised CofE but, when living in quarters (Dad was in the army) it was often an interdenominational church. As a teenager I chose to go to an Anglo catholic high church — loved the bells and smells. While serving in the RAF, I went to the OD church (all the non CofE Protestant denominations) because they had good Saturday night hops and the band was good.
Since then I went to church intermittently but drifted back to to the Anglicans. I am now a member of the local Anglican Church, a regular in the congregation and a member of the PCC.

nanna8 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:19:28

I was brought up as a Methodist, then here they became theUniting Church but there were things I didn’t agree with so I went to an Independent Baptist and now I attend a Presbyterian church. I went to a Church of England school. Interesting how we change. I tend to go for very biblically based churches. I actually used to teach at a Catholic school.

Nanna58 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:23:00

Brought up staunch Catholic- threw myself into Atheism as soon as I was old enough to decide for myself !

Toadinthehole Wed 13-Jan-21 12:29:05

Brought up vaguely C of E. Became a Christian in my mid thirties.

larry5 Wed 13-Jan-21 12:38:52

I was christened in a C of E and then attend the local C of E from 6 to 12 as I was taken by a neighbour as my parents didn't go to church. When I was 12 we moved and I started to attend the local Congregational Church as they had a good youth club.

By the time I was married I had been confirmed into the Congregational Church and was a member when it became part of the United Reformed Church. We moved house 14 years ago to an area which is very strongly Methodist and as our nearest URC was about 10 miles away we transferred out membership to the Methodist Church. I do still miss some of the ways that the URC works but I am content to be Methodist.

Redhead56 Wed 13-Jan-21 13:15:33

I was christened in Everton Liverpool all my family were. We moved to the outskirts of Liverpool in the early 1960s. A small Evangelical church was built on our estate. We went there for Sunday school. When I was about 13 and decided religion was not for me. When I had my children I was persuaded to have them Christened by a friend who was a clergyman. When they were small I took them to the church in the village to see if they liked it but they were not interested. I do respect any religion if it makes people happy and content.

Tabbycat Wed 13-Jan-21 13:18:40

I was raised as an Anglican - my father was a Lay Chaplain for a Church of England charity and my mother was sent to the Chapel when she was little.

We moved around a lot, but when dad was posted to Northern Ireland in the 1960s I was put off organised religion. I still believed in God, but couldn't stomach the hypocrisy of Love thy neighbour, as long as they're not Protestant/Catholic depending on what side you're on. I also found the Church's attitude to women really strange.

When I left home to go to university in England, I still went to church occasionally when I visited my parents or for weddings and funerals. Then a few years later, when I was pregnant with my first child, I went to the small local Anglican church in Coventry. I was made to feel so welcome, there were women and girls in the choir ( I hadn't been allowed to sing in the Church choir in NI); and one of the Churchwardens was a woman (unheard of in my Church of Ireland church). The vicar was a lovely man and helped me to regain and grow my confidence in the church. Both my children were baptised by him; they attended CE primary and high schools and were confirmed here in Yorkshire.

I have worked in faith and secular schools - and know which one I preferred. I attend Chrch regularly ( really missing it now that it's been closed by the pandemic), pray and read the Bible. So now I would describe myself as a practising Anglican.

Auntieflo Wed 13-Jan-21 15:36:22

I was christened in CE, and when young attended the Baptist or Methodist Church, according to which one we were despatched on Sundays.
We married in CE, and when we moved away, I didn't attend Church for years, apart from the Young Wives group. When we moved here, I went to the CE, and was completely ignored. A friend and neighbour introduced us to the little local Evangelical Church, which we attended for several years. All of our children belonged at times, and DD was married from there.
Then 'something' happened, and the whole atmosphere changed. I never did find out what had one on behind the scenes.
After some years I visited the Methodist Church, have been received into the fellowship, and worshipped happily there ever since.

Flytothestars Wed 13-Jan-21 15:58:05

Brought up as a Catholic and very soon left that behind when I was about 13 when the nuns at my school told me to stop asking questions and just 'believe'. Now many years later I suppose I am a Gaian.

Smileless2012 Wed 13-Jan-21 16:05:14

Can you explain what a Gaian is Flytothestars?

crazyH Wed 13-Jan-21 16:06:50

Brought up Catholic and have remained Catholic...

Mamardoit Wed 13-Jan-21 16:23:00

Grandma look us all (cousin too) to the Methodist Chapel. Parents went along with this and were happy enough to pack us of to Sunday school there every Sunday afternoon.

I remember mum coming to the occasional service but not every week. She was Baptist. Signed the pledge.

It was a mix of Methodist and C of E growing up. It was low Cof E so very similar really. All of us were baptised at the C of E parish church. As I got older I had more friends who went to the Girl's Friendly Society and othet youth stuff at the C of E so I chose to go there.

Later I married DH at the C of E and our own DC were baptised and attended services there. We still go to evening services when we can. Obviously nothing happening at the moment.

Jaxjacky Wed 13-Jan-21 16:57:55

I was bought up CofE and attended until I was about 15, after confirmation. Neither of my children are christened and I was not married in church, either time.

Flytothestars Wed 13-Jan-21 17:23:18

Smileless2012

Can you explain what a Gaian is Flytothestars?

It’s not a religion (I don’t think ? ) I believe that everything on earth interacts, the Earth is a self regulating system or superorganism. I believe that humans should respect the earth and not keep taking from it otherwise we upset the balance of all life. Eg. the Aral Sea, cutting down forests for quick gain, overusing the soil without putting the goodness back and so on.
Sorry, probably not a good explanation but I am lacking friends and a good bottle of wine... There is so much on the internet about it, sadly pointedly ignored by mega companies. NB. Apparently since Brexit the government are now allowing the use of a pesticide that, as a side effect, kills bees. This pesticide is banned in EU...just saying.

Treebee Wed 13-Jan-21 19:11:45

I was brought up C of E , stopped going in my early teens then at 19 became a Christian in the Baptist church. Both my girls were dedicated there. Then I returned to a lively local C of E church.
As described by another poster, ‘something happened’ and the vicar left, all went wrong and the focus changed to being on the youth. So many of us older members left.
After a search I found a home with the Quakers and I’ve attended there for about 15 years.

Blossoming Wed 13-Jan-21 19:16:25

Brought up C of E, atheist from the age of 12.

BlueBelle Wed 13-Jan-21 20:21:05

Somehow I think organised religion is the worst kind surely real religion is about trying to do things right, making mistakes and trying again and doesn’t need a name which just causes divisions and competition

nanna8 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:45:00

During the epidemic and only with Zoom sessions my church has nearly doubled in numbers attending which is quite strange really. At church real time we would get 60-80 on a Sunday but online we sometimes get
120 plus and lots of young ones,too. I watched a video about a group of Chinese people who would travel many hours just to attend a service. Most of them had spent time in jail for their Christian beliefs. We really don’t know how lucky we are in our freedom.

allium Thu 14-Jan-21 07:52:02

Brought up C of E, walked away as soon as I could, now leave well alone.