Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

If you are religious and practising - are you still in the same Denomination you grew up with- or did you move away from family tradition?

(60 Posts)
Bodach Sun 22-Nov-20 23:28:15

Brought up in a hardline Highland branch of the Church of Scotland. Still cleave to CofS, despite living in England and attending village Anglo-Saxon era CofE church. My prayers for forgiveness of my "debts" regularly drown out my Sassenach neighbours' pleas for their "trespasses''..

TwiceAsNice Sun 22-Nov-20 23:18:48

Went to Church in Wales Sunday school as a child , parents never went to church. Married and Confirmed in Church in Wales. Now living in England and go regularly to Church of England services. (except we aren’t allowed at present unfortunately) . More usual to go to Chapel in Wales but I like a more formal service.

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Nov-20 23:14:06

Dad was baptised Methodist, Mum high church C of E.

I was sent to a Methodist Sunday School, which was quite traumatic for a child who lived in a pub. grin I’m C of E, and like the high church rituals. We did have a local vicar of that persuasion for a while, sadly not now. I personally love a bit of incense and holy water. smile

Doodle Sun 22-Nov-20 23:00:41

Parents Chapel. Me always C of E.

Smileless2012 Sun 22-Nov-20 22:57:09

Baptised into the Catholic church but chose to be confirmed in C of E as Mr S. wouldn't have been able to take communion with me in a Catholic church.

paddyanne Sun 22-Nov-20 22:46:44

Raised a Catholic ,brought my children up in the Church of Scotland .I only go to church for weddings and funerals ..or when I'm working.I dont miss it.

M0nica Sun 22-Nov-20 22:14:10

Born a catholic, still a catholic but with a completely different set of beliefs.

Anniebach Sun 22-Nov-20 21:53:18

Brought up Baptist as were all the extended family, g grandfather was the first minister , he built the Chapel.

We moved to a country village, the Chapel held a service once
a month so my parents said we would attend the Anglican Church so we could attend every week , my father said ‘it’s the
same God’ he remained Baptist and was the minster there .

Oldbat1 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:35:16

No religion.

biba70 Sun 22-Nov-20 20:33:36

Really interested, thanks.