Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Where’s Justin Welby, is he a fair weather Archbishop?

(45 Posts)
mercedez Sat 23-Jan-21 10:30:03

How come Justin Welby had a lot to say about Brexit but has gone very quiet over Covid and the way of the world. Shouldn’t he be helping the NHS, he could direct cars and people at the big vaccination hubs, that would be very useful.

Blossoming Fri 29-Jan-21 12:47:24

Justin pops up again.

cte.org.uk/Articles/601363/Home/News/Latest_news/The_Archbishop_of.aspx

Septimia Thu 28-Jan-21 14:34:50

Our diocese sends out updates weekly, or even more frequently, to clergy, churchwardens etc. They contain advice on what we can and can't do, details of online services, bumf from the archbishops, general diocesan news, useful websites etc. There's clearly more going on than is immediately obvious to the general public.

Our vicar streams a weekly service online (we watch it while we drink our coffee!!) and a midweek 'thought' as well as other things. I don't think, as was suggeted above, that C of E churches have to have daily services, but the clergy do have to say the daily 'offices', and if they do that in church (not always possible, especially at the moment) other people can join them.

Anniebach Thu 28-Jan-21 14:17:09

You are being unfair Grannyrose , the government closed all
places of worship and Justin Welby then said priests must set an example of carrying out the government’s ruling .

You are criticising him for accepting government rules, if only
everyone did during lockdowns

GrannyRose15 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:59:41

"The church are the people who meet in the church building."
I understand and totally agree with this sentiment.

Except of course, I have not been talking about the church in general. I have been talking about the unique role of the Church of England in our nation.

GrannyRose15 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:54:38

grannyactivist

I have never denied any of the teachings of Jesus you quote. Nor can I argue with what Justin Welby said in his letter to you.

The point I was making was that he should have said it on 23rd March last year. And meant it. Instead some of the things he has said have worked against the very point he has made to you.

'We hope it is some consolation to know that the church prays for the life of our nation every day.'

And yet he forbade priests from entering their own churches.

As I have said before on this thread, the Church of England seems now to be getting it's act together but I can assure you that very little corporate prayer (as opposed to personal prayer) has been said in my parish for the last year. Whereas there are bound to be islands of excellence, I do not believe my parish to be the only one to have fallen short.

grannyactivist Thu 28-Jan-21 01:17:56

The church are the people who meet in the church building - or not. My church meets at home and drinks and eats (mostly cake, but sometimes actual meals) whilst discussing dangerous ideas such as, 'did Jesus really actually definitely mean it when he said we have to visit prisoners, house the homeless and feed and clothe people ourselves?' grin

Kamiso Thu 28-Jan-21 01:13:02

Anniebach

So before the virus people went to Church every morning ?

One of my aunts went every day. She was so busy being seen at church that she never visited my gran. My gran got it into her head that this aunt had died and we hadn’t told her.

Kamiso Thu 28-Jan-21 01:09:05

lemsip

I wonder why people don't think to Google there question before posting it? strange.

There would only be about half the number of threads if they did that?

grannyactivist Thu 28-Jan-21 00:33:19

GrannyRose15

Coincidentally, today I received a letter from Justin Welby in which he says:
'We hope it is some consolation to know that the church prays for the life of our nation every day.'

He then issues the following invitation:
'Whether you’re someone of faith, or not, we invite you to call on God in prayer. Starting on 1 February we invite you to set aside time every evening to pray, particularly at 6pm each day. More than ever, this is a time when we need to love each other. Prayer is an expression of love.'

So, if your concern is 'the church' keeping to the letter of canonical law during a pandemic then I understand you may be upset. However, if your concern is that prayer rises up through the nation then you can be reassured that Justin Welby is doing his job.

And also volunteering in a hospital at a time of crisis. (Which is where I think Jesus may have been found during a pandemic, when he wasn't meeting up with homeless people, prostitutes and drug abusers.)

GrannyRose15 Thu 28-Jan-21 00:05:46

Blossoming

Actually canon law only stipulates morning and evening prayer on a Sunday.

Canon B11 requires morning and evening prayer to be “said or sung audibly in every parish church every Sunday”, while B14 “requires Holy Communion to be celebrated in each parish church on each Sunday, principal feast day and on Ash Wednesday and Maundy Thursday”.

annodomini Wed 27-Jan-21 21:23:29

GrannyRose, I'm a former member of the Church of Scotland and now a Humanist, but surely the Archbishop will have asked in prayer 'What would Jesus do?' If the Gospels are anything to go by, Jesus would have been out there in the community lending a hand where it was needed.

Blossoming Wed 27-Jan-21 20:50:03

Actually canon law only stipulates morning and evening prayer on a Sunday.

Doodle Wed 27-Jan-21 20:39:00

GrannyRose I hope you will give The Dean at Canterbury Cathedral a try. He has broadcast a morning service every single day since the start of lockdown last year. I know it’s been every day because I have watched them all. Rain, hail, sleet and snow he’s been out in his garden at the Deanery giving a broadcast of religion, humour, information all presented in a calm and wonderful manner. You can pick up his broadcasts on YouTube or from the Canterbury Cathedral website. They also broadcast an evening service every day Sunday Eucharist, and Evensong.
I have found great comfort in watching and listening to the Dean. Thousands of people all over the world are watching his service every day in what has become his garden congregation. I can recommend it 100%.

GrannyRose15 Wed 27-Jan-21 20:20:34

Anniebach

GrannyRose13 I am sorry you are missing daily worship in
your Church. I confess i only went every morning during Holy
Week,

The Dean of the Canterbury holds morning prayer every morning from the grounds of the Cathedral
Hope this helps you

youtu.be/FPyT6Yur8fE

Thanks, Anniebach it was kind of you include the link. I actually find it very difficult to get involved in online services. These restrictions have gone on so long though that I fear I shall never again be able to worship in the glorious atmosphere I am accustomed to, so I had better get use to the alternative. I might give Canterbury a try.

GrannyRose15 Wed 27-Jan-21 20:14:43

Ashcombe

Grannyrose13 I thought that the Anglican Church was established during the reign of Henry VIII, less than 500 years ago. It would appear that the Archbishop is humble enough to meet his flock where the need is greatest.

The Church of England as it is recognised today was established in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries you are correct. But is didn't come out of nowhere. Rules for how the English church should be governed were agreed at the synod of Whitby in 664. (Yes I know that is nearer 1350 rather than 1500 years ago - sometimes I can't count). Traditions followed by monasteries and cathedrals in the middle ages were incorporated into the practice of the church of England following the abolition of the monasteries under Henry the eighth. The laws that determine that morning and evening prayer should be said in every parish church every day, and that there should be mass (holy communion) every Sunday in every Parish church are actually laws of the land, not just the church. It's part of what being the established church is all about.

It is not necessary for a congregation to be present as any of these services.

My gripe with the Archbishop is that he forbade priests from carrying out their duties even in empty churches during the first lockdown and to my mind let us all down. Subsequently many churches and most cathedrals have worked out how they can carry on the daily mission of the church in spite of restrictions.

I could say more, but many people, believers and non believers alike, simply would not understand.

JaneJudge Wed 27-Jan-21 11:44:44

I've got the giggles. Why does someone called mercedez want the Archbishop of Canterbury to direct cars to vaccination centres? blush I have visions of him in a Hi Viz marshalling the masses like a shit version of a Marvel movie

Granny23 Wed 27-Jan-21 11:43:03

It seems that in the main we are now a Godless Country. Otherwise why have the media ignored religious leaders, rather than giving them slots on radio/TV to give solace, hope and comfort to their flock? Or is it the case that the clergy feel helpless in the face of the pandemic and have no positive message to share?

Anniebach Wed 27-Jan-21 11:37:42

GrannyRose13 I am sorry you are missing daily worship in
your Church. I confess i only went every morning during Holy
Week,

The Dean of the Canterbury holds morning prayer every morning from the grounds of the Cathedral
Hope this helps you

youtu.be/FPyT6Yur8fE

Blossoming Wed 27-Jan-21 11:31:33

Here’s a clip of the programme I mentioned.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0957kcv

Ashcombe Wed 27-Jan-21 11:30:37

twitter.com/JustinWelby

lemsip Wed 27-Jan-21 11:27:51

I wonder why people don't think to Google there question before posting it? strange.

lemsip Wed 27-Jan-21 11:26:40

And again;
Archbishop receives Covid-19 vaccine as part of St Thomas’ Hospital chaplaincy team
18/01/2021

The Archbishop of Canterbury received his Covid-19 vaccine at St Thomas' Hospital, where he has been working as a volunteer chaplain.

Blossoming Wed 27-Jan-21 11:26:33

He was on BBC Breakfast this morning discussing the 100,000 death toll.

He is also active on Twitter, not sure if many grans use it.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Jan-21 11:17:18

I read weeks ago he was taking a sabbatical for a few months ‘to reflect’.
Timing seems a bit off?

Ashcombe Wed 27-Jan-21 11:15:45

Grannyrose13 I thought that the Anglican Church was established during the reign of Henry VIII, less than 500 years ago. It would appear that the Archbishop is humble enough to meet his flock where the need is greatest.