Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Will the Catholic Church be damaged by yesterday's wedding at Westminster Cathedral?

(114 Posts)
Kali2 Sun 30-May-21 15:15:15

How do you feel about this?

I think yes.

M0nica Wed 02-Jun-21 20:30:01

No, the cover-up was much as done by other groups including local authorities. I am sure it is continuing in those faith commuities who do not recognise sexual abuse as happening in their communities.

Lin52 Fri 04-Jun-21 11:18:59

What, how ridiculous. If it was anyone but Boris, this question wouldn’t even have been raised. You think that the Archbishop of Westminster would have allowed it if it was illegal for them to marry or for it to be against the Catholic faith. You can’t bend the rules in this way to suit one person. Good luck to them. As for covering up, ALL religions have covered up worse.

Alexa Fri 04-Jun-21 12:16:45

The RC Church regards Mr Johnson as a catholic who has never ceased to be a catholic. Johnson was christened catholic.

Presumably Mr Johnson confessed his sins before the wedding, and in accord with the RC doctrine, God forgives penitent sinners. (I am not a lawyer but have just finished reading The Cloister and the Hearth).

I suppose Mr Johnson confessed to the sins of his previous marriages which the RC Church did not recognise as sacred rites.

What I do not understand is how BJ may remain as a RC prime minister.

maddyone Fri 04-Jun-21 12:21:52

Does it matter if Boris Johnson is a Catholic PM? I think the religion of the PM is nothing to do with the rest of us or the state.

Anniebach Fri 04-Jun-21 12:23:51

Is an atheist PM more acceptable

grumppa Fri 04-Jun-21 13:17:34

Presumably the Chaplain of Eton accepted Boris’s RC baptism as sufficient for him to be confirmed in the CofE. Or did he have to be baptised again? Dunking Boris could be the basis for a new party game.

Kamiso Fri 04-Jun-21 13:23:02

Catholic’s will be pleased on the whole and it’s not really anyone else’s concern.

Kamiso Fri 04-Jun-21 13:34:52

There are some nasty spiteful Catholic priests possibly because their family ear marked them for priesthood from a very early age.

We also had some wonderful priests who were very dedicated and quite reasoned in their expectations.

The vicars and choir masters in some non Catholic Churches also used their position to cover up their paedophile intent.

There were families who ignored complaints that their children were being abused by family, family friends, teachers, scoutmasters and the list goes on.

Fortunately we are, hopefully much more aware nowadays and are unlikely to be fobbed off.

theworriedwell Fri 04-Jun-21 14:08:13

I've had lovely and not so lovely parish priests, only one I'd call nasty. As a child of 7 I became friends with a priest, I used to go for walks with him and I'd sit in church when he was preparing for mass. I suppose now everyone would assume he was dodgy but he was lovely, when he moved with the missions he used to write to me. I can't imagine how he put up with me but I guess there was a child shaped gap in his life and I filled it.

He is buried abroad and I'd love to visit his grave one day.

JaneJudge Fri 04-Jun-21 14:12:03

I lived opposite a massive Catholic Church which was a place of pilgrimage when I was growing up. The priest lived with woman grin she was apparently his 'housekeeper' but those that lived by the Church witnessed otherwise...that said, I don't know why they don't let them marry if that is what they want to do (unless the rules have changed)

theworriedwell Fri 04-Jun-21 14:14:56

I felt sad for my parish priest when Anglican vicars were allowed to become Catholic priests, some were married. My priest was a lovely man and was very good with children, my DD adored him when she was a little girl, I saw him looking at the new priest giving Communion to his wife and children and it was a sad look.

Callistemon Fri 04-Jun-21 14:48:05

grumppa

Presumably the Chaplain of Eton accepted Boris’s RC baptism as sufficient for him to be confirmed in the CofE. Or did he have to be baptised again? Dunking Boris could be the basis for a new party game.

I know that party game but haven't played it with Boris.
I got caught by it many years ago grin

trisher Fri 04-Jun-21 15:06:47

You have to admit Boris is consistent, even his religion isn't straightforward.