Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Mediumship demonstration

(173 Posts)
Persistentdonor Sun 27-Jun-21 11:13:53

Yesterday, for the first time, I went in a group, to observe a Mediumship demonstration.
I am not sure what I was expecting!
Due to Covid restrictions, ticket numbers were limited, and I estimate our party might have made up 10% of the "audience".
Although the Medium, (who WAS quite entertaining,) gave messages to several people, he had nothing for any of my party.
I am fairly convinced that one of the people receiving lengthy attention, was known to the Medium, and may have been a "plant".
That person had chatted in a friendly manner, and at great length before the start, to another person who also received a message. hmm
Everyone who received attention was in agreement that they understood most of what the Medium offered, which was lovely for them, but as they were all strangers to me, I couldn't say how definitive, (genuine,) the information was.
I also felt that frequently, he was suggesting things which were yet to happen, so possibly he was influencing thought processes?
The only way I would have been entirely convinced was if one of my party had received attention, because of course I know their details quite well.
I think I left a little less willing to be open minded than when I arrived.... but due to circumstances I shall not be able to discuss the event with my chums for a few weeks.
I realise that many people are staunch believers, and probably an equal number flatly refute the entire concept.
I wondered if anyone with an open mind would like to comment?

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 11:48:48

No discussion of religion disturbs me HolySox

However, quite honestly, people telling me to pray to Jesus for peace annoys me quite a lot. Sorry blush

I don't believe in Jesus, I don't want to ask for "peace" . This is what I meant above; you can believe that for yourself, but telling me what I should do assumes a "superiority" over me. You can tell me that in similar circumstances you would pray to Jesus for peace, but telling me that's what I should do is unacceptable.

I'd never tell you to stop being so silly and believing in all these made-up gods. Its got to work both ways.

Toadinthehole Wed 30-Jun-21 12:53:00

Still reading this thread with interest. I agree with you totally Holysox. Alegrias, I think Holysox’s response was to Vampirequeen. I doubt anyone would tell you to pray to Jesus, we all know very well, your thoughts. Jesus tells us to tell people, and then move on. Where you’re concerned, I think we’ve all done that.

Alegrias1 Wed 30-Jun-21 13:10:58

I'm commenting on posts on this thread Toadinthehole. Its not a private conversation and I'm free to comment as I see fit provided it is within the rules of the forum. In any case, HolySox's final sentence was “Apologies if this is disturbing to anyone on this thread - all I can say is please pray to Jesus for peace.” So, addressed to everyone.

I find your final sentence a bit passive aggressive. Is that necessary?

vampirequeen Wed 30-Jun-21 16:01:20

I never said that reading the Bible makes you a Christian, HolySox. I said that I had studied the Bible when I had faith, when my faith was waning and I still dip into it occasionally as some of the writing is beautiful to read. For example you don't have to be a Christian to appreciate the poetry of Psalm 23.

I still don't understand how God can say that slavery is OK then change his mind. It wasn't a case of free will allowing people to own slaves. God said it was OK. I previously gave examples of that. I can give more if you require them.

If God changes his mind then it means he made a mistake in the first place and therefore cannot be perfect. God also created the angels of which Lucifer was the greatest. God created the angels to be holy and, although they have free will, a truly holy creature will not sin. As Lucifer and his followers chose to fight God then Lucifer cannot have been holy. This means that God must have made a mistake when creating him.

Toadinthehole Wed 30-Jun-21 16:19:06

‘ However, quite honestly people telling me to pray to Jesus annoys me quite a lot’.
Holysox, made it quite clear she was inviting people, who, and I quote.... ‘ are disturbed by this, to pray to Jesus’. I’m assuming this doesn’t include you, or maybe it does. Either way, from my understanding of all your posts, this sentence does not apply to you.
Of course, I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you to correct me if I’m wrong.

HolySox Wed 30-Jun-21 20:01:24

vampirequeen I sent you a pm

OnwardandUpward Thu 01-Jul-21 09:27:42

Slavery was in the OLD testament. So the New Testament is against slavery, if that helps explain?

I think people don't always understand that there are essentially two faiths- the first five books of the bible are what the Jews follow and the old testament was before the birth of Jesus. The New testament is AFTER Jesus and thereafter it's completely different and focuses more on love and grace. I probably haven't explained this well, so hopefully someone else can say it better grin

Caleo Thu 01-Jul-21 09:58:27

Onward and Upward, you do explain well and I can add that the Jewish sect founded by Jesus of Nazareth had its roots in Old Testament times. Isaiah foretells:

www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Isaiah-53-5/

Prophet Isaiah is very specific. Jesus of Nazareth ,as a good Jew, knew Isaiah's important prophecy, and Jesus sought to be what Isaiah foretold.
So the roots of the historically important Christian myth are more ancient than what is written in the New Testament.

vampirequeen Thu 01-Jul-21 10:20:58

Ephesians 6:5-9 NABRE
Slaves, be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ, not only when being watched, as currying favour, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, willingly serving the Lord and not human beings, knowing that each will be requited from the Lord for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free. Masters, act in the same way toward them, and stop bullying, knowing that both they and you have a Master in heaven and that with him there is no partiality

How does this text from Paul's letter to the Ephesians show that the NT is anti slavery?

If Christianity is only based on the NT then why was it necessary to prove that Jesus was descended from the line of David?

Jeremiah 23:5
“ Behold, the days are coming,” says the LORD,
“ That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness;
A King shall reign and prosper,
And execute judgment and righteousness in the earth.

Matthew 1:20-22
But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins." So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet.

There are many such links back to the OT.

tickingbird Thu 01-Jul-21 11:07:07

* Theoddbird* I believe in the power of the Universe. I believe the soul returns and is born again to carry on its learning and teaching process. Some souls are very wise...old souls. Some are young souls....the boy/girl racers I suppose. They do things without thinking...but they learn from that. We are here to learn. Do I believe that souls contact us though If they want to they will...they do not need a medium to do this

This concurs with my beliefs entirely.

agebeforebeauty Sat 03-Jul-21 11:32:08

You do have to be very careful about these mediumship 'shows' or demonstrations. There are and always have been quite a few mediums around who aren't exactly fake, but aren't that good and have all kinds of tricks up their sleeve to make themselves look better than they really are.

On the other hand there are also some incredibly gifted mediums out there who work on a one-to-one level with people who've been bereaved and want proof of continued existence of their loved ones. Very few of these do mediumship shows. I've had 3 experiences in my life with outstanding mediums (sadly dead now!) who gave me some
extraordinarily accurate information from 'the other side' (detailed things they couldn't possibly have known or found out since I'd never told anyone about them). On the other hand I've met a couple who were clearly making it up.

So my view is that a talented medium can give you invaluable help to understand, and feel positive about, what happens after death, but a bad one can do more harm than good. If you're going to consult a medium it's vital to do your homework and get recommendations. And avoid those mediumship demonstrations!

OnwardandUpward Tue 06-Jul-21 00:54:48

Thanks Caleo.

I don't have all the answers (you would need to ask a Theologian or Minister) but I believe that the NT is based on the OT but the covenant is changed . Yes many links to the OT in the NT, but the NT is a fulfilment of many OT prophecies. There is a place for both OT and NT but they are different.

Whatdayisit Tue 06-Jul-21 08:50:52

I haven't been to a spiritualist meeting but i have had my cards read a few times. I have always found it amusing and i have never been ripped off or tried to make me cough up more or lead me down another path.

One example when i was going to have a reading..
I said in my head to a friend who had died from MND 4 years earlier "come and say hello to me tonight Mark."
When i went into the room and sat down the man said "Mark said hello."
I said "did he say anything else?"
The man replied "You only asked him to say hello!".

I have had other readings - lots of good experiences.

tickingbird Tue 06-Jul-21 15:00:34

That’s amazing. Hard to believe it was a lucky guess!!

Caleo Sat 10-Jul-21 12:03:30

OnwardandUpward wrote:

"-- the NT is based on the OT but the covenant is changed . Yes many links to the OT in the NT, but the NT is a fulfilment of many OT prophecies."

Ideas of God have changed. Christianity is arguably the most ethically advanced religion and it has been built upon serious sources such as the ancient Bronze Age monotheistic god, the more advanced and humane God of the OT prophets, the life and work of Jesus of Nazareth , and the work of Paul. Greek thought also influenced Xianity.

I recommend "A History of God" by Karen Armstrong.

HolySox Sat 10-Jul-21 13:03:47

Caleo "A History of God" sounds like this is Karen Young's thoughts on religion rather than what God (or should I say gods) having been doing with mankind.

Christians see The Bible (OT and NT) as "A History of the Relationship of God and man" as this is probably one of the most reliable collection of ancient writings mankind has. The OT was God's relationship with the Jews - if they kept the 'Law' then God promised to look after them - in this life. The NT is about God's promise to give anyone who believes in Jesus eternal life. Actually this also applied to people of faith in the OT.

Caleo Sat 10-Jul-21 15:23:43

Holysox, certainly it is one woman's interpretation albeit a serious historian.

It seems the main difference between what you and I believe is you believe God occasionally intervenes in human history, e.g. to write The Bible, and I don't.

Caleo Sat 10-Jul-21 15:24:35

PS Karen Armstrong is the author of A History of God.

OnwardandUpward Sun 11-Jul-21 00:40:56

@Whatdayisit It made me smile when you mentioned your friend Mark. I wouldn't go to something like that, but at the same time I don't doubt it.

Ideas of God from people may have changed, but Christianity is based on the bible and that hasn't changed. Though different translations can change a bit and some words mean less in some languages than others. I think that's why some serious theological scholars learn Hebrew and Greek. As I said before, I'm not an expert but faith is believing what you can't see and may not understand.

Thanks for the book suggestion @Caleo it sounds interesting.

Whatdayisit Sun 11-Jul-21 20:26:50

tickingbird and OnwardandUpward
It was very much Mark's sense if dry humour too.

At the same reading the man said i have your Grandma and she has your cat Jessica sat on her knee!
When my gran lived with me my cat Jessica sat on her knee all the time.
Anyway i think that could be another thread!

Bossyrossy Mon 12-Jul-21 19:37:02

Watch Derren Brown on YouTube, he explains very clearly how spiritual readings are done.

Persistentdonor Tue 13-Jul-21 19:53:30

Caught up with all of that.
Interesting as always.smile