Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Granddaughter in Intensive Care

(299 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 01-Jul-21 02:29:11

We got a call from our daughter just before coming to bed to say our six year old granddaughter is in hospital, for the second time in three months. We were able to see and speak to our granddaughter and she was on oxygen and antibiotics then, but she was finding breathing difficult. I’ve now just had a text to say she’s been moved to Intensive Care (she’s in NZ).

She had double pneumonia and a collapsed lung last time and although she became really very poorly she didn’t deteriorate anything like as quickly as she has done today. She has a compromised immune system having been born extremely prematurely and I’m concerned that the struggle to breathe may affect her heart.

So please, if you’re a pray-er would you pray for her? ?? She needs all the help she can get.

JaneJudge Fri 09-Jul-21 11:14:46

Oh dear re children sad

I am glad your grand daughter has been well enough to come home but sorry it's still a worry xx flowers

LauraNorder Fri 09-Jul-21 11:32:26

Oh dear grannyactivist, such a worry. I’m glad she’s well enough to come home but quite scary for your daughter looking after her while she’s not yet 100%.
I’m sure you just wish you were there with them.
Awful too that so many children are ill with respiratory illnesses, what a horrid knock on from this awful virus.
Big ? hug

lavenderzen Fri 09-Jul-21 13:42:23

Glad to hear your granddaughter is home but things are still a worry for you all. Sending best wishes and strength to you all.

Doodle Fri 09-Jul-21 13:55:17

So pleased to hear your granddaughter is home but can understand why you are still worried. Hopefully everyone concerned will keep a close eye on her and the plan that has been set up will keep her safe. Still praying for her .

allsortsofbags Fri 09-Jul-21 16:56:28

Your DGD is home it's a good start, still praying xx

Ro60 Sat 10-Jul-21 09:20:01

??

Grannmarie Mon 12-Jul-21 18:47:59

Still praying ???

Blossoming Mon 12-Jul-21 19:33:46

Hope you are both doing well x

ElaineI Mon 12-Jul-21 19:53:14

Gosh it is such a worry. Hope your granddaughter recovers her strength and gives her parents and yourself less anxiety as the days go on. Thinking of you always x

grannyactivist Mon 12-Jul-21 21:06:17

FINAL UPDATE:

Thank you all so very much for the very real support I’ve experienced through your kind messages, positive thoughts and prayers during my granddaughter’s illness. ?

After a couple of worrying nights my granddaughter has now settled down at home, although inevitably she’s still dealing with the emotional aftermath of her illness, and for now we can breathe a sigh of relief.

Right now my focus is on trying to encourage my daughter to look after herself a little better, now that the immediate danger has passed. Nursing has always been a vocation for her, but she’s not so good at self-care I’m afraid. (That apple hasn’t fallen far from the tree and I’m very sorry now that I didn’t set her a better example.) ?

JaneJudge Mon 12-Jul-21 22:03:49

I'm glad they are home but it's certain to take its toll sad xxx
wishing them lots of strength x

grannyqueenie Mon 12-Jul-21 23:35:06

Lovely news to hear at the end of the day., thanks for letting us know. Hoping you can all recover both emotionally and physically. ?x

V3ra Mon 12-Jul-21 23:39:00

grannyactivist a lot of mothers care for everyone else before themselves.
We need to learn that it's ok to take some time out for ourselves when we need to.

SueDonim Mon 12-Jul-21 23:41:16

I’m glad your GD is doing so much better. What a difficult time you’ve had. thanks

Blinko Sat 17-Jul-21 15:41:26

I'm so glad it's worked out and that she is home and improving. flowers

Blossoming Sat 17-Jul-21 15:46:27

Good news, hope all continues to be well x

MerylStreep Sat 17-Jul-21 15:51:41

grannyactivist

My granddaughter is now home, but as they head into nighttime her blood pressure has risen and there are a couple of other indications that she’s still not completely recovered.

The medics have agreed to devise a plan to try to anticipate future relapses/respiratory emergencies, but it’s very difficult at the moment because the children’s hospitals/wards are all currently overwhelmed. Because of lockdown there were very few respiratory cases last year, so this year children in NZ haven’t built up immunity and many have become seriously ill.

This article describes what’s happening there now, and is maybe a foretaste of what’s to come in the UK this winter.
www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/08/new-zealand-children-falling-ill-in-high-numbers-due-to-covid-immunity-debt

Grannyactivist
There was a program on R4 Wednesday afternoon highlighting this problem that’s coming down the line.
The medical community are very aware of it and very concerned.

Nannytopsy Sat 17-Jul-21 16:58:19

The UK government are persisting with their experiment of dropping Covid precautions, which will put many children at risk, as well as this other virus. I am very worried.

Callistemon Sat 17-Jul-21 17:06:43

grannyactivist I hope your granddaughter continues to improve and that your DD is taking care of herself too - as the saying goes "put your own oxygen mask on first before you help others."

We often forget that other viruses are around too.
flowers

dragonfly46 Sat 17-Jul-21 17:14:40

That is good news grannyactivist maybe your DD will now take some time for herself.

welbeck Sat 17-Jul-21 17:30:01

so glad your GD's condition has stabilised and that she is slowly recovering at home.
and thanks for that link to the guardian piece.
all the best to you and yours.

muse Sat 17-Jul-21 17:37:48

Pleased to read that your GD is back home and I’m sure your DD will look after herself now ?.

It’s such a worrying time in NZ for families with young children.

ROBERTO99 Sun 01-Aug-21 12:55:39

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.