Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Scams - a dedicated thread?

(30 Posts)
ixion Tue 16-Mar-21 16:29:34

I wonder whether it would be a helpful idea to have a separate thread to post incidences of scams?
I know these can be helpful to many, judging by the responses, but I fear that sometimes they may get 'lost'' within a busy 'Chat' thread.
It might be useful as a reference point and a concise piece of information for people wishing to check others' experiences of a particular contact they have received.

What do people think?

AGAA4 Tue 16-Mar-21 16:53:32

Good idea ixion. There are so many scams now.

Calendargirl Tue 16-Mar-21 18:09:58

Yes, good idea.

We could check back on which scams are on the go, as they often reappear after a while.

Dinahmo Tue 16-Mar-21 23:21:40

Agree - good idea.

welbeck Wed 17-Mar-21 01:45:34

good idea.
most crime is now carried out remotely, online, or over the telephone.
forewarned is forearmed.
how about it , HQ ?

Gwyneth Wed 17-Mar-21 08:05:56

Yes good idea to be updated on scans as there are new ones around all the time.

Gwyneth Wed 17-Mar-21 08:06:17

Scams!!!

FannyCornforth Wed 17-Mar-21 08:16:26

Yes! Great idea, thank you

mamaa Wed 17-Mar-21 08:19:51

Good idea

Lollin Wed 17-Mar-21 08:22:58

I agree but wonder what HQ would think as it might end up being like who called me or something. Or take over like the active thread like games threads can at times. However I do find anyone mentioning their recent experiences a great reminder to be careful and also feel, okay not just me getting such texts etc then, and so I have felt better and not alone. So how about it then HQ?

grandmajet Wed 17-Mar-21 08:26:50

Yes, what a good idea. A friend of mine was caught out recently - a bright, clever woman.

FannyCornforth Wed 17-Mar-21 08:29:18

Lollin how could it 'take over'?
It would be just one thread?
Ixion you do mean a thread don't you, not a board or sub-forum?

You don't need permission to start a thread. It either catches on or it doesn't.
I think that the only problem would be that it wouldn't last, people would still continue to start their own threads about individuals scams.
It's worth a try though. smile

Franbern Wed 17-Mar-21 09:20:35

There is a current scam going round a lot of people. Email purporting to be from Royal Mail asking for small sum of money (£1.99 or £2.99), in order to get a parcel delivered.

It looks very official, and such a small sum being requested could easily get people falling for it, but then uses their information to get into their bank accounts. SO BEWARE AND JUST DELETE IT.

ixion Wed 17-Mar-21 09:35:03

Thank you for that Fanny
Yes, I meant forum. - like 'Chat', 'Sport', 'AIBU' etc.
As these posts don't necessarily generate a lot of discussion (which is fair enough, IMO, as they are 'info passing'), I thought it would be helpful to have them all together, they would stay on record in perpetuity and be a quick reference point if needed. It is invaluable, I think, to share these incidences.
Thank you all for your support thus far!

FannyCornforth Wed 17-Mar-21 09:47:24

Ah right, thank you!
Yes, that is a great idea.
I'm sure that GNHQ would be up for it.
Shall I report your post to them to make sure that they see it?
Yes, I posted about the NHS scam a while ago, and then it just disappeared as it would. Yes, your idea definitely makes more sense.

ixion Wed 17-Mar-21 09:53:37

Thank you, Fanny
I will run it past HQ myself!

FannyCornforth Wed 17-Mar-21 09:57:28

Thank you, I hope that it will be up and running soon, with a little placque with your name on it smile

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 17-Mar-21 09:57:59

Hello! Thanks for posting this. Sadly, we've noticed an increase in threads about scams and fraud in recent months. Having a separate forum topic is a great idea and a good way of sharing knowledge and keeping everyone informed. We'll get that actioned shortly. smile

infoman Wed 17-Mar-21 10:29:43

I think its a good idea,my only concern is that I would not be keen on trawling through loads of pages
to get to the latest/last scam.
If the latest/last scam could start "from the top" that in my opinion would be better.

ixion Wed 17-Mar-21 10:46:12

Hi!
If you go to the bottom of the page, in any thread, you will see, in blue, the word flip.
Then you can reverse the order of comments posted, whether it be 8, 80 or 800 - that's the quickest way, I have found !

ixion Wed 17-Mar-21 10:49:38

Or the other option, the customise one.
There is there opportunity to reverse the display on all threads and to save that choice.

Newatthis Wed 17-Mar-21 11:00:53

Excellent idea ixion and thanks Lara for acting so quickly.

ixion Wed 17-Mar-21 11:03:08

That was fast, Lara!
Many thanks for your support.

henetha Wed 17-Mar-21 11:06:05

Yes, a brilliant idea. So many of these darned scams around
now.

JulieNoted Wed 17-Mar-21 11:34:51

infoman

I think its a good idea,my only concern is that I would not be keen on trawling through loads of pages
to get to the latest/last scam.
If the latest/last scam could start "from the top" that in my opinion would be better.

As I understand it, GNHQ will start a new board, so all scams can be posted on this board. It won't be one loooooooong thread, but several threads on that board.

So you will select 'Scams' from the list of forum topics, and then the latest thread to be posted on will be at the top, just as it is on other boards, such as 'chat' or 'AIBU'.