Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Steve Jones webchat 15 May 1-2pm

(120 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-May-13 13:29:27

The Bible was the first science textbook, argues Steve Jones, who has rewritten it in the light of modern scientific understanding in his new book, The Serpent's Promise.

What does the Bible tell us about the big questions? Are we all descended from a single couple? Is the flood story really about the ending of the Ice Age? What are we to make of the virgin birth?

Steve is professor of genetics at University College London and we're delighted he's joining us for a live webchat at 1pm on Wednesday 15 May.

Lilygran Mon 10-Jun-13 13:43:57

But only if you have a closed mind

Lilygran Mon 10-Jun-13 13:43:41

You could say the same about philosophy.

gillybob Mon 10-Jun-13 11:56:28

Or indeed "pointless talk about a non-existent being". hmm

feetlebaum Mon 10-Jun-13 11:38:48

Tom Paine once said:

“The study of theology... is the study of nothing; it is founded on
nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion.”

feetlebaum Tue 28-May-13 07:45:30

Would any of us be any worse off if there were no theologians?

j08 Fri 17-May-13 14:57:23

Will just Google stratospheric achievements.

Actually I won't bother. smile

bluebell Fri 17-May-13 14:04:09

Actually - we could start by establishing what we even mean by 'theology'

MiceElf Fri 17-May-13 13:26:27

Perhaps those who purport to know all about theology could share their own academic expertise and stratospheric achievements so that they can by rubbished by those who know nothing whatsoever about that particular discipline.

Lilygran Fri 17-May-13 12:40:22

Perhaps I'll start writing books about genetics, after all, I don't know anything about science. Mice grin

j08 Fri 17-May-13 11:26:52

Oh Feetlebaum. Join the other narrow minded old gits on this forum.

feetlebaum Fri 17-May-13 10:42:15

Ah theology... is it really a subject? Mostly it seems to have been old guys making up things, with no factual basis at all.

MiceElf Fri 17-May-13 09:18:06

Oh, Lilygrann, didn't you know that all scientists are also deeply learned and thoughtful theologians? Goes with the territory. grin

Lilygran Fri 17-May-13 08:35:59

Still don't see how being a geneticist makes you an expert on theology. Perhaps his theories are based on 'ignorance, pure ignorance'? And where did all those posters come from - so many new names! hmm

j08 Wed 15-May-13 20:56:07

Someone needs to tell him that two shirt buttons undone does not make you sexy. #scruffy'erbert #GNonfacebook

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-May-13 20:23:34

I did ask him, grannyactivist, but he said he'd answered your question. Which of course he hadn't.

Personally, and having read the book, I don't think he does dismiss metaphor - not in the way Dawkins does - but it may be that he is not that interested in it either.

Elegran Wed 15-May-13 18:35:57

The book is pretty good for any old crap.

That is, unless you have made up your mind that it is going to be crap and have no intention of reading it to find out.

I was trying a define the work of a recent Scottish artist (named William Johnstone, whose widow was a neighbour) to an American friend, a few years ago. At one point I said that he had studied art in Paris at the same time time as Picasso, in the same studios.

Her reply? "Picasso was a communist, wasn't he?"

That was enough for her. He couldn't possibly be any good as an artist.

bluebell Wed 15-May-13 18:03:58

Steve Jones is a well respected academic - writing books- not any old crap- is part of what academics do and goodness me , they get paid for it. How disgraceful!

A third of all state schools are faith schools - a minority but a sizeable one. And why should non faith schools say prayers or sing hymns - we have churches, mosques etc for that.

j08 Wed 15-May-13 17:50:13

And most of our schools are non religious these days. They're not allowed to sing a hymn or have a prayer in assembly. Church schools are a minority.

j08 Wed 15-May-13 17:46:49

I think he must be very closely related to our Bags. Except for the fact that she doesn't' write any old crap just make money.

grannyactivist Wed 15-May-13 14:10:01

I guess the question regarding metaphor was unanswerable then. hmm

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-May-13 14:00:52

Thanks so much to Steve for a really fascinating conversation, which we're sure will keep us talking for a while.

SteveJones Wed 15-May-13 13:59:34

flopsybunny

Hi Steve, great to have you here.

Recently, there has been an argument in popular science that we possess genes for cooperation as much as for competitiveness.

Do you think the idea of the selfish gene is misleading?

yes we do have genes for cooperation, otherwise i would have strangled the taxi-driver who brought me here; but the interesting question is whether different people have different versions of the gene, and as far as I know there is no evidence of that

SteveJones Wed 15-May-13 13:57:02

crostini

Your fascinating response to batgran about us being sixth cousins reminded me of a fascinating television programme a while back in which various people (I think Eddie Izzard was one) traced their ancestors back by using genetic research.

If I were able to get my genes sequenced, would I be able to find out for example when my ancestors arrived in Britain?

Well, to a degree, yes; but rest assured that you have relatives (and ancestors) in - say - Indonesia who have never seen these rainy islands; indeed the last common ancestor for everyone on Earth probably lived no longer than around 3500 years ago, well into old testament times

SteveJones Wed 15-May-13 13:54:25

Iwasframed

What is your relationship with "the blessed Dawkins" (your words)?

Are his polarities helpful? Surely - and this is back to grannyactivist's point about metaphor - by rubbishing the metaphor in religion as well as everything else he ignores a vital aspect of human nature: the attempt to explain and grapple with and give meaning to death?

I am an atheist too - but I find him really unhelpful and annoying and reductive.

I know Richard Dawkins professionally and he has written some outstanding popular science books (and he still does so, although I believe that he is now writing his autobiography). I too find The God Delusion a bit shrill, but the other side of the argument is, I observe, even shriller.

SteveJones Wed 15-May-13 13:52:11

fritnit

What do you make of the hold of religion on the modern world? (I am thinking of America and the fact that it would be inconceivable to admit to being an atheist if you wanted to be president).

How do you explain it, when science is so persuasive and powerful and testable? (I am not suggesting you can't be a scientist and religious, but it's odd that so many people in modern society reach for explanations which are not testable, rational, or on the face of it, relevant)?

I agree with you; it baffles me - but I am not religious. In any case those people seem to me to do much more harm to faith than to science