Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

What's this all about?

(59 Posts)
Aka Sun 05-May-13 18:22:33

Spent the day in the garden but distracted by the 'dog fight' being acted out in the sky above me. Large(ish) bird of prey (buzzard?) flying over the gardens kept being attacked by a very irate male blackbird.
The blackbird was flying at the buzzard and they were fighting it out. At one point they disappeared into the cloud cover. Then the blackbird would reappear and sit at the top of tall conifer. When the buzzard reappeared he would make loud, angry cawing noises and head up to where it was and there would be another fight, this time they disappeared out of sight over the roof tops. Then the blackbird is back in the conifer, on guard, and when the buzzard comes into sight he attacks again.
This went on for hours. The bird of prey was twice the size of the blackbird, at least. What stamina that little bird had.

annodomini Wed 05-Jun-13 08:40:43

Back when trim phones were the fashion, there was a starling that imitated it so well, it often sent me running to answer it.

feetlebaum Wed 05-Jun-13 07:53:43

The blackbird is a member of the thrushes, isn't it? Thracidae?

NfkDumpling Tue 04-Jun-13 16:37:28

A blackbird? I thought with chi-chi-pooey it would be something really exotic! There's a blackbird around here that does a very convincing telephone ring tone. Most annoying!

Elegran Tue 04-Jun-13 11:30:40

We used to have thrushes in the garden when we first moved here, but have not seen them for a while. They did a good job on the snails. You could find the evidence in the broken shells around the thrushes' dining table stone.

Bags Tue 04-Jun-13 11:02:18

Blackbird song is lovely, isn't it, elegran? But for the first time in my life I'm willing to agree that the song thrush is well named. We have had a fabulous singer in our garden this spring. Saw some of the babies today too smile

Elegran Tue 04-Jun-13 09:05:07

I've now seen my chi-chi-pooey bird and it is a blackbird. Maybe I transcribed it wrong - ti-ti-hooey might be nearer, or somewhere in between. It sings other bits, but that phrase was so distinctive I have been searching on it.

So now we know.

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Jun-13 22:38:03

We got a free pair of binoculars from the National Trust Tegan. They weren't a lot of good.

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Jun-13 22:33:43

Buzzards mew, crows caw, and could chi-chi-pooey be a chiff chaff?

Nelliemoser Mon 03-Jun-13 22:13:07

Don't Buzzards make a mewing noise?

Aka Mon 03-Jun-13 19:28:07

Np Tegan smile

Tegan Mon 03-Jun-13 13:53:23

sorry; I've gone back a bit to what dustyangel was asking...

Aka Mon 03-Jun-13 13:27:04

Starlings?

Tegan Mon 03-Jun-13 13:26:16

You often get a free pair of binoculars when you join the National trust. And, if someone pays for you membership as a 'gift' [you can always pay them back wink] your membership costs a lot less and you'll get your years NT membership.

Aka Mon 03-Jun-13 13:19:54

Another query for twitchers. Yesterday loads of baby starlings were fledged in my garden and surrounding gardens. I watched as in every case it was the adult birds coping with one very demanding and noisy fledgling*.
I've noticed this in previous years, mother and father and only one fledgling. I've never seen two or more.
Where are all the brothers and sisters? confused

Flowerofthewest Fri 10-May-13 16:25:59

grin grin

dustyangel Fri 10-May-13 09:45:12

grin

Elegran Fri 10-May-13 09:08:28

Had a vision there of televisions perched in distant trees chirping happily. What size eggs do they lay?

dustyangel Thu 09-May-13 22:30:27

Thankyou Flower, the televisions were something distant to focus on in John Lewis.smile I hadn't thought of an RSPB shop though.

Flowerofthewest Thu 09-May-13 20:08:21

Hmm! I use Opticrom, they vary in price, I have a middle of the range pair but my DH has top of the range, If you go to any RSPB reserve with a shop they will have a range of different priced bins and will let you try them and advise you.

Televisions?? 10 x 40s are a good magnification. Mine can focus to within a couple of yards maybe less.

dustyangel Thu 09-May-13 15:15:52

I've been enjoying this thread too. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive pair of binoculars. I need some lighter ones (mine are inherited and ancient.) I've looked in JL but find it hard to imagine the magnification I need when focusing on distant televisions!

Flowerofthewest Thu 09-May-13 09:28:51

Ditto Bags: Enjoy! it's free, delightful and birds are beautiful Get a good bird book too. Collins Guide is one to recommend.

We found an abandoned Blackbird nest in our holly tree, two beautiful eggs but, sadly, no parents. They are still around,probably, nesting in the hedge at the bottom of the garden. Sparrow triple nesting box now secure after being blown around in last gale. They seem to prefer my neighbours roof space but fingers crossed. Lovely to have Willow Warblers nesting Bags. Envious smile

Bags Thu 09-May-13 09:19:08

Some will, some won't. Shrug. How the world works.
Meanwhile I'm hoping the local cats and magpies don't find the willow warbler and robin nests in my garden.
The endless fight to survive.....

Fascinating to watch.

Aka Thu 09-May-13 08:38:23

Thanks bags but now I'm worried about the gales that are due. Will the nests be safe?

Bags Thu 09-May-13 05:35:45

aka, smile Enjoy!

Aka Wed 08-May-13 23:01:08

Since starting this thread after watching a singleton crow repeatedly take on a buzzard, I've really started looking at the birds in my garden. They seem not to notice me when I'm lolling in my swingseat. I've noticed there isca pair of robins nesting in the thatched top of my bird table and a pair of little goldcrest nesting in a conifer. Must buy a pair of binoculars, I'm getting hooked.