Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

I'm infested with pigeons

(32 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 05-Dec-13 17:06:42

At least they are not in the actual house!

Many years ago when with exdh, we became aware that the buggers seemed to be nesting in our loft. Couldn't block the holes as that would have meant nestfuls of squabs starving to death and smelling. As pigeons seem to have a never ending breeding season this state of affairs went on for some time. (I made it clear that climbing up ladders into the loft was not my area of responsibility, I had never been into the loft before and saw no reason to start now)

Fast forward several months and we had put the house on the market ready to re-locate to Devon. Had an offer and all was progressing nicely. The buyers valuer/surveyor type person came round, poked his damp meter into the walls, measured things etc. He then wanted to have a look at the loft.

It is an image forever burned onto my retinas. There he was, nice smart suit and shiny shoes. He opened the loft hatch and was showered in a mixture of guano and feathers.

I think it was about then that I decided that the dogs were due for a walk.

thatbags Thu 05-Dec-13 16:09:37

Sadly, the best way to discourage them is probably to stop putting out bird food.

We get far fewer visits from wood pigeons now that there isn't a constant supply of hen food in the garden. They are still around in the trees and fields but they don't come into the garden so much.

broomsticks Thu 05-Dec-13 16:02:40

I don't know the difference really. They're not ring doves. We get lost racing pigeons quite often that we have to be rescue and send home, but these are just nasty feral things. I fear for my poor broccoli plants!

ninathenana Thu 05-Dec-13 12:49:42

The ones that give me trouble are the common feral ones. Do have visits from a pair of wood pigeons but I don't mind them.

annodomini Thu 05-Dec-13 12:37:39

Are these pigeons the street kind or are they the large wood pigeons that enjoy the limited fruits of my wilderness garden?

ninathenana Thu 05-Dec-13 12:24:27

If you find solution, please tell me !!!

There is a flock of 20 or so that continually bully all the birds that I try to attract to my bird table [cthangry]

broomsticks Thu 05-Dec-13 11:40:57

Short of buying a peregrine falcon is there any way of persuading them to go away?