Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

The floods have arrived

(132 Posts)
FlicketyB Fri 07-Feb-14 11:45:42

I have put up a couple of posts on other threads, but as it is a developing situation, I thought I would start a separate thread.

When we moved here 20 years ago the village had no reputation for flooding. There had been floods in 1895 and 1947, but these had seen exceptional floods countrywide. Then in 2007 Wales, Gloucestershire and the northern Home counties found themselves caught in, what we were later told was, the 1,000 rain event, nothing to do with global warming. The village was flooded, including about 40 houses. It recovered and we all considered it was a one off and we would need to wait another 50 years for the next flood.

Its 2014. There has over the last two or three months been excessive rain. When I woke this morning (I am an early riser) I opened the curtains and my eye was caught by the street lights which seemed to be glimmering and reflecting off the road surface. I looked again and realised it was water. I nipped out to the front gate in my dressing gown and the water stretched as far up the road as I could see.

Once I was dressed and it was light I went out with my camera. There are four streets in the village running laterally for up to a mile from the main road. They are all flooded, from a few inches to well over a foot. Thankfully most of the roads lie below the level of the houses but 5 houses already have water coming in. Others are managing to hold it off with sandbags at garden gates. Although it has not rained since 6.00am the water has not gone down and with more rain forecast for the weekend we expect it to rise further. We are meant to be above any flood level. It would have to rise nearly 2 foot to reach us, but one of our neighbours who was flooded in 2007 in a different house has moved all papers and books off the bottom shelf of her bookcases.

The one thing the water has done is activate a real camaraderie between people in the village. The school is shut and parents and children and the rest of the village are all out and about chatting to each other.

janerowena Fri 07-Feb-14 18:39:14

Yes, it was the EA wishing to return the dredged ditches to marshland, for the sake of the wildlife. I think that's why their boss has finally gone down today to have a look.

I hope you stay ok, flicketyb. One of my friends thought she had a leak from her new roof last night and was furious - then this morning realised it was rising up from below her house and coming through the floorboards!

Galen Fri 07-Feb-14 19:05:37

The same thing happened at the mouth of the river Exe. This meant the navigable channel silted up and was only navigable for very short periods.
This resulted in owners of boats moving to other more access able locations with consequent loss to the local economy.

margaretm74 Fri 07-Feb-14 19:10:41

That must be truly dreadful, janerowena, because it is presumably coming up from the drains.

FlicketyB Fri 07-Feb-14 19:49:57

On the Somerset Levels dredging would have helped because the rivers are short and go straight into the sea. Further inland it can be problematic because clearing one area of water fast can mean depositing water fast further down stream and causing floods.

The last head of the Environment Agency, before Chris Smith was Lady Young, who came to it, so I understand, from the RSPB and was in support of land reclaimed from the sea going back to being saltmarsh. She is said to have said that she wanted a limpet mine on every pump and the agencies aim was to facilitate biodiversity.

I think the time has come for a better balance between people and wildlife, with people getting a higher priority. The Somerset Levels were drained by Dutch engineers in the 18th century and provided the rich pasture that has made Somerset a major dairy producer. What right has one quangocrat to decide unilaterally that he/she wants all this land to go back to saltmarsh, putting many farmers and other workers on the dole and reducing our ability to feed ourselves?

Of course there are places where managed retreat is the only solution, because soft mud and shale cliffs and dunes cannot be protected. Norfolk is a classic example. There are villages under the sea that disappeared in the 12 and 13 centuries. But productive man-made drained land should not be destroyed by deliberate purposeful neglect, particularly without a public mandate to do so.

merlotgran Fri 07-Feb-14 20:09:44

Well said, FlicketyB

margaretm74 Fri 07-Feb-14 23:23:03

Hear hear.

LizG Sat 08-Feb-14 00:15:59

Thinking of you FlicketyB and everyone suffering at the moment flowers

POGS Sat 08-Feb-14 01:05:43

Flickety

How right you are. I hope all is OK for you.

The root cause does go back to the 90,s when the responsibility of the Somerset Levels/Moors was handed over to the newly formed government agency The Environment Agency.

The Environment Agency 1st decision was to STOP DREDGING THE 4 MAIN RIVERS which carry the flow of water that inevitably goes onto the Moors. this meant the rivers silted up and obviously had less capacity to hold the water. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that if a river is 15/20 foot deep and it silts up and is 3/4 deep it will eventually burst it's banks.

In 2000 Labour peer, Baroness Young of Old Scone and her cohorts at the Environment Agency became the scourge of locals . They decided, not because of funding, that in their ignorance of how the Moors and rhynes work, they wanted to allow large areas to flood and return to a natural habitat for birds and wildlife. Sod the farming industry or the people that live and work there and who had told them year in year out what the outcome would be.

You are correct Baroness Scone did say 'I would like to put a limpet mine on every pumping station'. The outcome of her ineptitude for the job and plenty after her has meant that the birds and wildlife have now been anhialated. Well done misses, OWN GOAL!!!!!

The flooding would have happened given this foul weather but it would have been more contained had dredging NEVER been stopped. There is a massive cost to the country because of the sizeable loss to the economy and the produce that cannot be produced for a long time to come. Milk and meat etc. may rise in cost? They are a hardy bunch not given to moaning but I fear this time it has possibly ripped the heart out of the community.

At the same time as they were targetting Somerset for their 'cause,' they also had the Norfolk Broads and that area in their sight. They faught their case harder and better
and they managed to get the better of the Environmental Agency. That has proven to be a good thing for the east of England.

I am sorry for anybody suffering in which ever part of the UK you are in, it is just awful.

FlicketyB Sat 08-Feb-14 07:22:13

There was someone from the RSPB on the radio this morning, still advocating that a large part of the Somerset levels should be allowed to regress to its pre-drained set. Fortunately there was a government minister there who was quite unequivocal in his insistent that the land should remain agricultural and our need for all the productive agricultural land we have.

Haven't heard a government minister be so the point and clear on a subject in years.

Too dark to see how the floods are here yet, but I can still see the street lights reflecting in the water so they certainly haven't gone.

annodomini Sat 08-Feb-14 11:56:44

I found this animated map on FB. It shows what's just about to hit us. Here the wind has started roaring in the trees again.

POGS Sat 08-Feb-14 12:06:19

Flickety

Looking at the time of your post and given the problems we have had picking up threads and posting, are you OK.

Sympathy to anyone having trouble.

FlicketyB Sat 08-Feb-14 13:53:52

We had rain last night so the floods returned to yesterday's high level, but have actually started going down quite rapidly this morning, but we still have a rapidly running stream using the road as a water course and part of one road is impassable to traffic. Our road and several others are still closed. We are well clear of flood waters but 5 houses in the village have been flooded Today is mainly bright and dry with occasional showers but the forecast is not good.

However not everything is good. We drove out again this morning using the same route as yesterday and there was far more water in the fields than there was yesterday. The problems in Oxfordshire are far more intractable than Somerset. The floods there are so bad mainly because of poor maintenance and bureaucratic obstructiveness. Dredging rivers, making stream and ditch maintenance easier to do bureaucratically will solve a lot of their problems.

In Oxfordshire it is different, Thames apart, we do not have big rivers, so river defences will not solve our problems, nor improved drainage, or earth bunds around housing in danger. Most of the flooding is ground water flooding, water coming up, or rather failing to be absorbed by saturated land and standing on the land or running off where there are changes of slope. If this wet weather is a pattern for the future we will have to adapt to living in a flood zone.

LizG Sat 08-Feb-14 14:08:13

I am glad you seem to be okay so far FlicketyB and hope this continues. I heard one lady on the news - I believe from your area - saying 'What's the point in pumping us out, the water will just come straight back in'. I have to say I admired her strength.

POGS Sat 08-Feb-14 14:45:09

Flickety

Glad you are OK

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 14:55:42

Wasn't there talk years ago of building a new reservoir in the Thames Valley? If they did this surely it would control water flow, be beneficial in periods of extreme weather, wet and dry?

They need to spend the money. Where are our green taxes going? And why are we sending billions to aid other countries with their flood defences but not spending it at home.
I think there are a lot of very angry MPs whose constituents have been affected, let's hope
they keep pressurising until action is taken.

In the meantime it is very very windy here and pouring again.

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 15:00:30

Where are all our taxes going, let alone green ones!

annodomini Sat 08-Feb-14 15:47:50

Some MPs in flood-affected southern constituencies must have extremely cold (not to say wet) feet, thinking about their prospects in 2015.

rosesarered Sat 08-Feb-14 16:12:25

I live not far from FlicketyB so know what she is talking about, our area is always a concern for flooding.I drove into Abingdon today for supplies and found the large Tesco shut! Flooded car park, deep in places.
Residents in this area didn't want a reservoir [placards about it everywhere] in the last few years so the idea was dropped.Maybe people should think about it, if it would help? Not sure it would enough.It's near the Thames and the river Ock which sometimes flood, but the real problem is the saturated fields, it's like the Lake District in places.

rosesarered Sat 08-Feb-14 16:13:50

Sounds like the spokes people for the RSPB need their beaks taping shut!

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 16:46:59

They're against the Severn barrage as well. That would provide jobs and green electricity to say nothing of another road so that the welsh could escape to a civilised country.

Mishap Sat 08-Feb-14 16:55:12

I do hope that everyone stays dry.

We have an enormous storm drain that runs under our house, and, as long as we can stand in our hallway and hear the water rumbling under our feet, we know we are OK. But the water rushing out of the end of the storm drain tends to wash the road away!

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 17:05:54

I shouldn't laugh, Galen ( but I did!)

YaYaJen Sat 08-Feb-14 17:22:19

Hope you stay safe. Up here in N Yorks the land is already saturated, new ponds and lakes evident off the train, the level of the water table is above the land in many places already and the torrential rain has just started, already the drains are overflowing....there is nowhere for the water to go.

Luckily we live on top of a small hill but it is just off thee village green called Water End which has been flooding regularly, if that happens we are stranded..just hope, for everyone, that the rain stops.

annodomini Sat 08-Feb-14 17:35:17

I know that Tesco at Abingdon, I used to fill up with petrol there on the way home from Didcot. My DiL said yesterday that three routes into Didcot were flooded. West Harborne had been in the news. She has to drive to Twyford to work. That could be very dodgy. I expect I'll get my usual Sunday phone call from DS2 with all the news tomorrow. Meanwhile, even here in Cheshire, it has been a very stormy afternoon.

FlicketyB Sat 08-Feb-14 18:02:09

The reservoir was due to be built a couple of hundred yards from our village and was going to have a surface area of about 2 1/2 square miles. Its purpose was to fill from the river during the winter and let out water into the river in the summer to boost the flow so that water could be abstracted in London.

Thames Water's calculations for the need for this reservoir were creative and they refused to look at any alternatives ways of supplying water that were cheaper and less damaging to the environment. It formed part of Thames Water's Strategic planning document, which was challenged on many grounds and when it went before an enquiry the reservoir and much else was rejected.

But, despite taking water from the river in winter, the reservoir would have had very little effect on flooding in the area because, while the Thames is overflowing its banks, much of the flooding has nothing to do with the Thames or any other river, it is ground water flooding. The stream/small river that runs through our village is not overflowing in the village, it is in fact a foot or so below its banks. The problem is that the ground is sodden and can no longer absorb any of the water reaching it so it stays on the surface and runs off where it can.

The reservoir would have exacerbated the flooding in my village because if you dig a large hole in the flood plain and fill it with water from a river several miles away that is a large area of flood plain that cannot absorb water anymore. Our village is marginally up hill from the planned site so if the flood plain our excess water drained onto disappeared and the only flood alleviation ponds they planned were on the far side of the reservoir the water would be unable to drain away and we would have more floods.