Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

People before animals

(89 Posts)
FlicketyB Sat 08-Feb-14 17:02:06

Over the last few weeks it has become very clear that the Environment Agency has had a succession of heads who have put the protection of animals/insects/birds and 'biodiversity' far too far ahead of the protection of our, predominantly man made landscape, those who get their living from it and those who get their food from it.

There have been many cases from the failure to properly maintain the rivers and ditches that protect the Somerset Levels to the rejection of the Severn Barrage, that could have provided 5% of our renewable, carbon free electricity, 24/7/365 and not just when the wind blows, where the welfare of wildlife and plants have been protected at the cost of the welfare of those who live and work in the area and in the country as a whole.

I am fast coming to the conclusion that in Britain the human/wildlife pendulum has swung too far in the favour of wildlife and an adjustment back towards the needs of the humans who live here.

A good start would be to curtail the powers of unelected bodies that make decisions that result in farmland being degraded or being taken out of agriculture as a result of their policies

Ana Sun 09-Feb-14 17:59:24

So had ours! grin Your DD obviously did a good job with yours, Galen!

POGS Sun 09-Feb-14 20:14:46

Aka

Your are correct about the willow.

The Somerset Levels/Moors are famous for their willows/withies. Basket making, fencing, thatching and even coffins etc. are a large part of the Somerset economy, along with farming.

Willows/withies are very eco friendly as they absorb carbons and are very hardy. t
There are many species of Willows. The willow is pruned by a method called 'pollarding' this produces the new wood called the withie. I presume that the flooding will do no harm to them as they absorb water but I am sure everybody knows that.

Flowerofthewest Sun 09-Feb-14 20:19:58

Deciduous tress virtually shut down in the winter AKA

We had a contorted willow which was a beautiful little thing but grew and grew like Topsy and was over 40ft and too near the house. Had to have it chopped down. I did give my sister a cutting, when I visited her last year the cutting was a splendid 30ft tall teenager, I was quite emotional smile

Flowerofthewest Sun 09-Feb-14 20:20:10

for tress read trees

Galen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:04:48

I've always wanted a contorted willow!
So good for flower arranging.

merlotgran Sun 09-Feb-14 21:10:00

The twisted hazels, Corylus avellana 'contorta' are slow growing. We have one which is fifteen years old and near the house. The catkins are wonderful for flower arranging.

Dragonfly1 Sun 09-Feb-14 21:15:05

I had to have my twisted willow taken down last year too. It was huge. Sad, because I bought it from a DIY chain thinking it looked sad, and when we took it out of the sacking we found it had been left with hardly any root. My late DH nursed and nurtured it, and it recovered and flourished. I felt bad about having it felled but I'm sure he'd have understood.

POGS Sun 09-Feb-14 21:21:25

Flower Gallen.

Contorted. grin

Galen Sun 09-Feb-14 21:42:43

Just ordered a contorted hazel!

annodomini Sun 09-Feb-14 21:46:58

I need another witch hazel to replace the one that perished in the big autumn clear-up of my garden. They cost the earth but are so good to have in flower in the winter.

granjura Sun 09-Feb-14 21:47:20

Shame to get rid of it- hazel can be coppiced right to the ground and start again- and coppiced again, and again- as it gets too high

merlotgran Sun 09-Feb-14 21:54:43

My mother gave me my contorted hazel for my 50th birthday so I'd have 'something to remember her by.' I laughed at the time and she's still with us but I will always treasure it.

Any straight suckers that appear need to be removed at the base because the tree will revert to a straight hazel if they are left. They make good plant stakes for a border though.

Aka Sun 09-Feb-14 22:32:34

I have a hazel that twists and turns like a corkscrew so perhaps it's a contorted hazel. It was here when we moved in 6+ years ago but hasn't grown much. Can you get dwarf ones?