Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Where have all my tadpoles gone ?

(72 Posts)
tiggypiro Tue 28-Apr-15 20:13:35

Both my neighbour and I have wildlife ponds in our gardens which in the spring are seething with frogs and their spawn. This year was no different and hundreds (if not thousands) of tadpoles hatched out. All was well for a couple of weeks and then suddenly they all disappeared. We do have newts in the ponds but it would take an army of them to eat so many tadpoles so quickly. We don't use any chemicals anywhere in the gardens and there are no fish. We are perplexed as to why so many tadpoles disappeared so suddenly. Has anyone any thoughts ? Are your tadpoles OK ?

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 14:55:14

Our tadpoles in a small pond have gone from the water heaving to zilch over 24 hours sad, they weren't anywhere near being froglets.
Toad tadpoles in the big pond also seem to be dwindling, no idea why.

It can't be the newts pigging out!

Very strange and sad.

pompa Sat 23-May-15 14:56:33

Mine all went down into the mud at the bottom.

loopylou Sat 23-May-15 15:10:14

Perhaps that's it, I do hope so!

Liz46 Sat 23-May-15 20:04:09

No thanks pompa!

pompa Sun 24-May-15 09:15:47

There was a chef on TV that though slugs could be as good as snails (not that I think snails are good). It was a disaster, apart from the slime, apparently they tasted awful.

Nelliemoser Sun 24-May-15 09:28:58

Into froglets everyone.
When will we ever learn?.
When will we ever learn?

loopylou Fri 12-Jun-15 19:10:24

Just saw this toad crawl out of the back border.

loopylou Fri 12-Jun-15 19:11:35

All my tadpoles have vanished, none had even got to the leg growing stage so yet another year when they've failed to mature. Very sad.

granjura Fri 12-Jun-15 20:20:13

I'm afraid it's called nature- and we should leave well alone. More tadpoles are eaten every year by gold fish and gold carps, etc, than by dragonfly larvae. Our pond is full of those larvae- and we have been watching the absolutely amazing spectacle of them climbing on a reed- latch on and begin the spectacular transformation. Pushing the head hard back until it pierces the skin, and then continuing to pull slowly back for about 1hr until the whole body of the dragon fly has emerged- then having to turn quickly to latch on the reed to wait until dry, and then fly off - leaving the shell of the larvae attached to the reed- looking like it is still there but it is just the
skin! It is just a miracle- as the dragonfly that emerges is quite a bit bigger than the larvae.

They then flutter at great speed all over the garden, with their huge blue and yellow eyes- eating mosquitoes and other bugs.

The pond is also full of black alpine newts, with bright orange bellies- that also eat tadpoles- but as said, this is nature. Some tadpoles will always survive- but I really believe interfering is just plain wrong.

granjura Fri 12-Jun-15 20:21:33

We leave piles of wood and branches near the pond for newts and other invertebrates to keep warm and hide in our harsh winters. Dragonfly larvae stay at the bottom of the pond in mud.

loopylou Fri 12-Jun-15 20:36:20

What an amazing thing nature is, and how fantastic to be able to witness a miraculous transformation like dragonflies emerging!
Mr/Mrs. Toad lives in the border under the kitchen window and I have to be very cautious when gardening, it startles me every time I encounter it.
There's another living in the greenhouse under the staging, I get DH to pull anything I need out because I don't like disturbing it particularly when the last time I did pull out a pot, it dropped on my bare foot!
Needless to say I shrieked very loudly....

Liz46 Wed 17-Jun-15 12:38:37

There is a strawberry bed next to the pond at the allotment. My husband was picking strawberries this morning and little frogs kept jumping up and giving him a fright. There were hundreds of tadpoles a few weeks ago but it looks as though quite a lot have turned into frogs. There is a large frog who just sits on a rock in the pond and hardly ever moves. I think he is granddad keeping an eye on things!

We have netted the strawberries to keep the birds off but something is still nibbling them. It must be either mice or slugs.

granjura Wed 17-Jun-15 15:14:48

Just went to the pond, and as I approached several small frogs jumped into the water- so quite a few survived out of the 100s. There was a huge blue aeschne dragonfly hainging on to a twig in the middle of the pond- obviously was thrown in by the wind before dried out- it was great to be able to lift her gently with the net- deposit here on a mossy stone to dry- and off she went after a minute or two.

rubysong Thu 18-Jun-15 13:39:19

Hissing Sid the grass snake has taken up residence beside our pond and is probably eating tadpoles.

granjura Thu 18-Jun-15 15:09:41

Lucky lucky you, they are so rare now (and is doing what nature is all about)

pompa Sun 05-Jul-15 11:36:27

Just found the skinniest adult frog I have ever seen in one of my many water butts. I guess it must have got in there as an egg many years ago, just living on the midges etc in the butt. Hope it can cope with life in the big wide world.

Greyduster Sun 05-Jul-15 12:39:44

We took our grandson for a walk in the woods yesterday where there is a pond. I was surprised to see that it is full of tadpoles - I thought they would all have been frogs by now. They appeared to be feeding on the scummy stuff on the surface. GS also went to the park with the Cubs on Wednesday to sail boats they had made the week before and he said there were tadpoles in the boating lake, some of which were developing back legs. Are they usually around this late?

pompa Thu 09-Jul-15 15:41:40

Netted our wildlife pond yesterday, lots of legless tadpoles (and I don't mean drunk)

Anya Thu 09-Jul-15 16:14:30

That is very late.

loopylou Thu 09-Jul-15 18:46:54

Pond resembles a thick, rich pea soup, can't see a blinking thing. Definitely no tadpoles sadly, but several toads have been seen in the evenings sitting in the puddles under the leaky water butt.

Given up on barley straw bale etc, no idea why it's so bad.

Going to clean it out in autumn, give tench a new home with SIL (who gave them to us in the first place!) and invest in UV filter set up.
Very disappointed sad

pompa Thu 09-Jul-15 19:52:38

I don't have any filtration or fish in mine. It is covered in duckweed, had to use a net to see what was in there.