Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

My poor seagulls

(90 Posts)
whitewave Sun 09-Aug-15 08:05:59

Mum and Dad have been sat on the next since May I think and clearly something has gone wrong as there is no chick. All the other chicks around have flown the next but my parents are still taking it in turns to sit and bringing back food for each other chatting as they do so.
I am wondering how long before they abandon the attempt I do feel for them they are trying so hard.

whitewave Mon 02-May-16 13:47:22

Yes that is what I read. The trouble is that only the tiny fraction of dogs survive. I would be inclined to get boots for my dog if I lived there. There are some very nice ones you can get. Dogs in very cold countries wear them in the winter.

Nonnie1 Mon 02-May-16 15:07:54

Live and let live is what I say..................................

However..............

When the song birds have their nests in my hedges and trees, and the bloody Magpie comes along.. I run out into the garden and clap and tell it to b... off.

Morghew70 Mon 02-May-16 19:05:16

I have five Labradors - by the time I had managed to get 20 boots on it would be time to go home!

whitewave Mon 02-May-16 22:19:10

grin

whitewave Tue 03-May-16 07:22:34

They would look cool though. Red leather boots!

trisher Tue 03-May-16 09:02:04

whitewave sounds like your seagulls need parenting classes and maybe some relationship counselling. 3rd time lucky?

Morghew70 Tue 03-May-16 18:13:38

I quite like the idea of the red leather boots, but I think the dogs might be a bit embarrassed. I always feel so sorry for dogs that are dressed up and carried around like dolls.

whitewave Tue 03-May-16 18:57:52

My terrier absolutely refuses anything but a collar and lead and even that you can tell he isn't keen. We had the idea of a harness - thought it was kinder. We put it on and he refused to take one step in it.

Morghew70 Wed 04-May-16 10:50:32

Quite right - they have their dignity. My DIL has a lurcher with a diamante collar - it looks awful.

lucycakeface Wed 04-May-16 11:11:19

I hope that your Seagulls are ok Whitewave. I live in the countryside and have many different nests around my house. I have House Sparrows and Starlings under the eaves of my cottage and lots of Dunnock's in the hedges and Robins, Wrens and Blackbirds in my trees of which I allow Ivy to grow through as it's great coverage for nests.
I wouldn't be without birds, I love their song and their cheeky antics.
What is a garden without bird song and what is a seaside town without the cry of a gull?
It infuriates me to see notices about being fined £1000 if you feed a Sea Gull or Pigeon! These creatures are not vermin, they are just trying to survive.
For goodness sake, there are so many human "vermin", but they are all fed and looked after.
Lets not forget God gave us all these creatures and we are not the only living race on the planet!

whitewave Wed 04-May-16 11:23:40

smile well said. I've just sneaked out some left over breakfast kipper for them, whilst DH is out with the dog.

lucycakeface Wed 04-May-16 14:24:30

Good on ya gal. A lady after my own heart!

Donbobs Wed 03-Jul-19 13:25:02

I can see this is a really old thread but came across it after having had a young seagull fledgling killed in my garden. Have noticed there are a number of comments regarding gulls moving into urban areas and have got lazy as they should be out fishing! You should be aware that the population of coastal gulls has dropped by 40% due to us reducing fishing trawlers and reducing by catch so food supply is now in shortage, factor in over fishing and a disaster. Now that we recycle our food, local rubbish dumps no longer have a suppy of food scraps that gulls used to live off so subsequently they have been driven into urban areas. Competition for food is extremely high so attacks on people who have food is the outcome. The bigger point is why do humans get to decide what is vermin and what isn't? Gulls are protected by the way and it is a criminal offence to deliberately injure, kill or harm a nest. No wonder this world is the state it is in with certain people deciding what should live and what should die.

Namsnanny Mon 02-Sep-19 15:48:49

But Donbobs...surely you would agree that we have to take action against some living things?

In general I like to ‘live and let live’ but live with a tape worm, with ecoli, with head lice? Share my water and food with rats (viles disease)?

Humans are more than happy to wipe out the measles or small pox bacteria and that is a living thing too isn’t it?
Just not a pretty one.

And I’m sure if Alabama rot affected a loved dog people would be crying out for a cure that killed it off!

I’m just making the point that Humans are fickle, and so long as they aren’t inconvenienced they don’t see the other POV.

As someone else pointed out It’s our fault for feeding gulls and other creatures and making them both rely on us and see us as sources of food.