Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Sparrows with orange heads

(7 Posts)
whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 15:23:53

No not a new breed but I have a New Zealand flax which is in flower and the sparrows are obviously enjoying something from the flower ? Nectar ? as they push their beaks into the flowers which the top part then leaves orange pollen on their heads!!

Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

vampirequeen Tue 04-Jul-17 16:13:21

I don't have New Zealand flax but my sparrows have gone a bit insane this summer. They're eating so much compared to previous years and staying at the feeding station much longer than they used to. Usually they eat insects at this time of year so I wonder if there is a shortage of live food and they're having to eat other things instead. Perhaps the New Zealand flax has a particularly sweet nectar.

teifi Tue 04-Jul-17 20:03:09

I wondered about a shortage of insects too, vq, as we have far fewer martins & swallows about this year, plus veritable queues of birds at the feeders. Plenty of horrid horse flies though, sadly...

whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 20:08:49

That is sad if there are fewer insects.

whitewave Tue 04-Jul-17 20:09:16

There are lots of bees though

teifi Tue 04-Jul-17 20:25:40

Yes, plenty of bees! I have some resident wild honey bees in an old porch which seem to be doing really well this year. Interestingly they don't appear to stay in my flowery garden, which they leave to the various types of bumble bee, but fly off purposefully into the distance..

farview Sun 30-Jul-17 16:15:42

..weve had fewer butterflies but masses of moths in the evening..lots of bees..fewer ladybirds..LOTS of slugs/snails