Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Why do we have to save on water?

(31 Posts)
giulia Tue 28-Jan-20 12:45:30

I recently watched a scientific documentary about water.
It was explained that water never disappears: it just changes form.

A rather crude example was given "The water you are using now to clean your teeth with could have once been Hannibal's wee.

So, what is all this fuss about water saving? What goes around comes around seems to be the truth of the matter

ananimous Tue 28-Jan-20 12:51:06

Company profits.

aggie Tue 28-Jan-20 12:51:35

The water from you tap isn’t free , it costs to build dams , it costs to pipe it to the treatment plant . The cost includes using stuff that is finite in useable form , the cement for dams is running out . Maybe you would rather take a bucket to the nearest river and use it untreated?

notanan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 13:05:22

A lot of energy goes into processing the water that comes out of your tap and the waste that leaves your drains!

notanan2 Tue 28-Jan-20 13:06:15

Thats why people used to drink so much ale: the water in streams/wells wasnt safe!

giulia Tue 28-Jan-20 13:22:21

Then why are farmers criticized for the water they use for crop irrigation and for their cattle?

ananimous Tue 28-Jan-20 13:41:59

Baloney!

ananimous Tue 28-Jan-20 13:43:35

Profits before people.

quizqueen Tue 28-Jan-20 13:55:20

Save water, produce fewer people!

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jan-20 14:02:29

quizqueen
You obviously saw the Chris Packham program ? Scary stuff, wasn't it ?

eazybee Tue 28-Jan-20 14:34:27

Because Climate Change is the new religion, and like all religions it contains a lot of hard common sense and rules for life, as well as attracting prophets of doom who delight in giving out dire prophecies and telling the unbelievers what they must not do.

M0nica Tue 28-Jan-20 16:47:13

It depends on where the water is, and an awful lot of it is in the sea and deep in the earth's crust

Supplies of fresh water suitable for human and animal consumption is much more limited and distribution can be patchy. Think of Australia and the long term drought that has contributed to its wildfire problems and is slowly killing its cattle rearing industry. Similarly if too many people live in one area demand soon exceeds supply and has to be brought long distances at great cost

In the 1980s and 90s, in a long dry period, many of my local chalkland streams ran dry because so much water was being taken from underground resources to supply homes, farms and industry that there was none for the streams.

Getting sufficient fresh potable water to all those demanding it can only be done by building huge reservoirs.My village, no parish, in Oxfordshire is threatened by one bigger than Kielder Water surrounded by an 80 foot dam, or a sit is known in this kind of case - a bund -

The alternative is desalination and piplines taking water hundreds of miles across country. Desalination is very expensive. OK if you are a middle eastern sheikh and it is the only source of water available, but in this country it could double our water bills.

That is why we save on water

Farmor15 Tue 28-Jan-20 21:32:57

Excellent explanation M0nica.

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 22:18:41

If farmers cannot irrigate their crops there may be no food and the population will decrease naturally so David Attenborough and Chris Packham will get their wish.

They do not need processed water to irrigate.

ananimous Tue 28-Jan-20 22:22:03

Has someone been getting their water for free?

I've always paid for mine. Vastly overpriced, too.

We let far too much profiteering off of our necessitees like heat and water.
Pursuade me otherwise...

Callistemon Tue 28-Jan-20 22:27:07

Yes, it is the cost of processing it guilia and it is a finite resource.

ananimous Tue 28-Jan-20 22:50:05

*"Water giants make £2BILLION in profit - but SEVEN of them didn't pay a penny in tax
The 19 water made profits of more than £2.05billion in 2013, but paid just £74million in tax, with seven of them paying no corporation tax at all"*

(Cannot understand people arguing to pay more money than they already do to the shareholders - as if they are not already creaming it in.)

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/water-giants-make-2billion-profit-4703371

Chestnut Tue 28-Jan-20 23:18:54

I have no problem paying for the luxury of a clean supply of water straight from my kitchen and bathroom taps. That is the ultimate luxury and we should be thankful. As we've noted, there is the cost of treating it plus miles and miles of pipes to maintain. Leakages are very expensive. People take all this for granted and consequently there is a lot of wastage in the home.

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 15:07:49

Yes let's all pay loads more, as it's so clean! wink

grandtanteJE65 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:27:24

Yes, but as I understand the matter the amount of water we have in the entire world is not enough to supply the amount households, factories etc are actually using in the civilised world.

As long as we continue to water the garden using a hose, leave a tap running while we brush our teeth, or allow taps to drip we are wasting water that doesn't necessarily evaporate and turn into rain, or drain down through the ground to the water table.

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 16:08:17

Good news everybody!

About two-thirds of the surface of the Earth is covered by water (actual, 71%)

We have all the water we need -

Even more if the ice melts due to global warming.

SueDonim Wed 29-Jan-20 16:13:42

I’m baffled by Quizqueen’s post to <<Save water, produce fewer people!>>

I’d have thought that saving water by, for example, sharing baths and showers is likely to produce more people! grin

notanan2 Wed 29-Jan-20 16:21:04

We have all the water we need

Dunno about you but Im not about to start filling my kettle from the puddles out on the pavement..

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 16:23:12

Some people need help finding their own nose

ananimous Wed 29-Jan-20 16:26:42

More Good news everybody...

$1 water filtration discovery - cheap clean water solution.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N5hdOcsKrg