Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Why do we have to save on water?

(32 Posts)
giulia Tue 28-Jan-20 12:45:30

I recently watched a scientific documentary about water.
It was explained that water never disappears: it just changes form.

A rather crude example was given "The water you are using now to clean your teeth with could have once been Hannibal's wee.

So, what is all this fuss about water saving? What goes around comes around seems to be the truth of the matter

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Jan-20 16:35:29

I’m just thankful I’m one of (the lucky minority of) people who has easy access to clean, safe water. Perhaps if we had to walk miles every day to get it from a river we’d appreciate it more. Wasting resources is never a good thing, imho.

I’d recommend the book my 4 year old grandson got his knowledge about

Maggiemaybe Wed 29-Jan-20 16:37:39

the water supply from - Down the Plughole (Thompson Yardley).

And advise never trying to compose a post while in a car on a bumpy road. grin

M0nica Wed 29-Jan-20 16:50:17

The growing world population is not caused by too many people being born. Two thirds of countries have birthrates at replacement or less.

The problem now is rapidly increasing longevity, we are the problem.

Chestnut Wed 29-Jan-20 17:01:05

And also MOnica our medical expertise is keeping people alive who would have died from disease in the past. There were so many killer diseases which wiped out millions (or billions).

M0nica Wed 29-Jan-20 18:14:39

Look how hard the authorities are working at the moment to stop the coronavirus in China spreading.

But it is not so much the 'grand' killers, but the deaths saved by blood pressure medication, statins, treatment for Type2 diabetes, antibiotics, clean water, hygiene regulations. These are what keep us alive and kicking.

MamaCaz Wed 29-Jan-20 18:28:35

Disclaimer: I have jumped from OP to last post.
I have a brief comment to make regarding this sentence from that OP:
So, what is all this fuss about water saving? What goes around comes around seems to be the truth of the matter

It met well be that "what goes around comes around", but there is nothing whatsoever to guarantee that it will come around in the same part of the world! What goes down your plughole here might go on to fall as torrential rain anywhere in the world.

Last time I checked, only a few weeks ago, there are still parts of England where next summer's supply of water still isn't guaranteed!