Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

wounded pigeon

(30 Posts)
Fennel Sun 07-Feb-21 11:52:32

We feed the birds in our back garden and as usual the pigeons dominate.
They're all 'shades of grey' apart from one which is coffee brown and white and now has a damaged wing. Flies with difficulty?
Do you think it has been attacked by the others because it's different? I feel so sorry for him/her, hanging around the back yard and hiding behind a shovel.

Treetops05 Sun 07-Feb-21 12:45:02

More than likely been attacked by a predator hawk or similar, thankfully birds don't see colour as an issue x

Fennel Sun 07-Feb-21 14:25:55

Glad to hear that Treetops.

EllanVannin Sun 07-Feb-21 14:29:40

Or a cat ?

Callistemon Sun 07-Feb-21 14:32:24

The pigeons fight a lot, we had a pair who would scrap quite viciously in our garden last year, beating each other with their wings.

ExD Sun 07-Feb-21 15:43:04

If it flies at all, even with difficulty, there's hope that it's wing may improve with time. But there's nothing you can do unless its tame enough to catch apart from supplying it with safe places to hide from cats and bullying birds. Hopefully there will be people of here with knowledge of pigeon's needs but in the meantime supplying food and water will help keep it strong and fit enough to cope with the cold weather.

Nicegranny Sun 07-Feb-21 16:23:34

In the bird world red is a warning colour that is a sign of aggression but what is more likely is that the other birds know it is injured and vulnerable. As sad as it is ,it’s just nature.
Dovecott owners have been known to sometimes dip their doves in food dye to ward off and confuse bigger birds of prey.

Callistemon. a pair of birds beating their wings about each other is often a mating ritual if they are of the same type. I think those pigeons were probably using your garden to do what randy pigeons do because it was a the perfect place to raise their family.

I’m not wanting to appear a know all but I can be a source of totally useless information ?

Shandy57 Sun 07-Feb-21 16:42:12

Any animal sanctuaries near you that could care for it? We are very lucky to have local volunteers that take injured wildlife to ours, it's a thirty minute journey from here. Does sound as though a sparrowhawk has attacked it.

midgey Sun 07-Feb-21 16:53:26

Callistemon they are not fighting.....she is fighting off his advances!

Nicegranny Sun 07-Feb-21 16:56:56

Also I forgot to add to Fennel is there anyway you could pick up the injured pigeon put it in a box and take it to the nearest bird sanctuary? Pigeons are easily handled and once you put it in a box with some old soft cloth it will stay quiet.

janeainsworth Sun 07-Feb-21 16:59:02

We had a wounded blackbird that couldn’t walk or fly. We kept it in the garage in a box for a couple of days & gave it food but it showed no signs of improvement.
MrA took it to the local vets wondering how much it would cost (we don’t have any pets) & was pleasantly surprised to be told that they don’t charge for wild animals.

Callistemon Sun 07-Feb-21 17:06:50

???
We did wonder if it was a mating ritual but she certainly wasn't keen on him! It was really vicious and we t on for a long time, day after day.

It all started again yesterday, he must be getting frisky. Yes, they do breed around here, there are more pigeons than other birds now.

Fennel Sun 07-Feb-21 17:09:04

I can't see it now - but if it was still around would attempt a rescue.
I've heard you can pick up wild birds if you put a towel over them first. wear thick gloves.

Nicegranny Sun 07-Feb-21 17:21:54

In my experience if it can’t fly and you corner it it’s easier to pick them up without gloves. Feeling their claws may feel strange but they don’t hurt you. Pigeons are quite docile as far as birds go and often fare well in captivity (rescue centres).
It may not have eaten for a while and birds do go down hill quickly, they get ‘light’. Dusk would be a good time to rescue it and get it to a rescue asap.

Shandy57 Sun 07-Feb-21 17:42:33

I've picked up a lot of hurt pigeons, throwing a light cloth over them. then carefully picking them up with two hands normally works. Important to make sure their wings are comfortable around their body, especially if the wing is broken. I am lucky to have pigeon fanciers around here who take them if they are ringed , but the wild pigeons go to the rescue centre. No vet charges for wildlife, but often they don't have the facilities, and they are euthanised.

Georgesgran Sun 07-Feb-21 18:01:15

Wonder if your bird is a wood pigeon, feral pigeon or does it have a ring on its leg? That would indicate a lost racing bird. You could find the owner through the pigeon owners register (yes, honestly) and they could arrange to collect it, or ask you to deal with it - often they don’t survive, as they’re used to being inside and well fed.

25Avalon Sun 07-Feb-21 18:13:02

I saw a sparrow hawk take out a pigeon once. The poor thing had no chance.

Can you give the injured bird some grain just for it, and a little pot of water? If you ring the RSPB they should be able to give advice. If it is a racing pigeon you may find it easy to pick up as they are used to being handled. Then look under the wing which when opened out will have the owner’s telephone number.

Callistemon Sun 07-Feb-21 18:53:51

Yes, I saw a sparrow hawk take out a pigeon here, then it sat in the garden demolishing it.

25Avalon Sun 07-Feb-21 20:43:45

It’s a horrible sight to watch Callistemon. The sparrow hawk just leaves a pile of feathers - no wastage.

Callistemon Sun 07-Feb-21 22:43:52

Yes, that's all that was left on our lawn too.
The Nature World - at least the sparrowhawk had a very good feed and may have fed chicks too.

Callistemon Sun 07-Feb-21 22:44:10

Natural World

Fennel Mon 08-Feb-21 12:36:22

As you say, Nature can seem cruel, and it's amazing that a sparrowhawk can demolish a bird as big as a pigeon.
I couldn't see our Brownie today and husband said he saw him flying with the rest of the flock early this morning.
Where do pigeons "live"? Surely they don't have nests?

Nicegranny Mon 08-Feb-21 13:06:52

Hello Fennel how is your pigeon today?

Granny23 Mon 08-Feb-21 13:30:40

Of course they have nests!! The pair that live in our garden had their nest in the Silver Birch tree in the front garden for a couple of years. Then they must have decided they did not like all the traffic - I am on a main road - because last year they moved the nest, twig by twig and feather by feather, from the Silver Birch into a different tree at the back. They added a few dried leaves and some pieces of string? and their new home was complete.

25Avalon Mon 08-Feb-21 14:22:59

They have a very scruffy nests. From the ground looks like bits of twigs tossed into the tree.