Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

wounded pigeon

(31 Posts)
Fennel Sun 07-Feb-21 11:52:32

We feed the birds in our back garden and as usual the pigeons dominate.
They're all 'shades of grey' apart from one which is coffee brown and white and now has a damaged wing. Flies with difficulty?
Do you think it has been attacked by the others because it's different? I feel so sorry for him/her, hanging around the back yard and hiding behind a shovel.

Callistemon Mon 08-Feb-21 16:28:03

One tried to make a very untidy nest in the plants on our pergola - just outside the bedroom window last year Fennel. It was only in the early stages so I nudged it on its way with a tumbler or two of water. There's a much better tree not far away.

Katie59 Mon 08-Feb-21 16:32:24

They don’t “live” in a nest unless they have eggs or young, they roost in a trees or bush, maybe a barn or large shed.
Racing pigeons will have rings on their legs, there are plenty of feral town pigeons of all colours as opposed to wild pigeons. They get injured by cars, caught by cats and birds of prey, it’s a dangerous life being a pigeon.

Fennel Mon 08-Feb-21 16:44:55

NiceGranny - thanks for asking - still no further sightings, except husband thought he saw him flying with the others.
He could still fly a bit, so hopefully built up strength.
Interesting about nests - they seem to breed so prolifically, I thought they must have some protection for the eggs.
As for racing/carrier pigeons, I had some interesting correspondence with someone who had managed to get hold of messages carried between UK and Resistance workers in France during WW2. I think one pigeon even got an award!

Katie59 Mon 08-Feb-21 17:26:30

Pigeons have an untidy nest of twigs which they abandon when the chicks have fledged

Fennel Mon 08-Feb-21 17:40:42

Here's the pigeon who was awarded the Dickin medal:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-17138990