Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Possible gulf-stream collapse

(110 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 06-Aug-21 00:46:29

I find this terrifying.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/05/climate-crisis-scientists-spot-warning-signs-of-gulf-stream-collapse

Alegrias1 Mon 09-Aug-21 15:22:53

You will note that they use “could” change ocean currents.

We can't wait and see, though, can we. It will be too late then. Why would we take the risk?

Katie59 Mon 09-Aug-21 17:57:16

Global warming is a fact of life, Arctic ice is melting and influencing the Gulf Stream, as temperatures increase.

That is a very long way from deducing that the climate in the UK is going to get warmer or colder, a third possibility is that the two will cancel each other out and we retain the temperate maritime climate we have now.

Really, you should not believe everything you read in the Guardian, you see “could”, “might” and “if” everywhere, it is just whatever the Guardian selects to suit its environment agenda and is certainly not scientific conclusion.

Myself, I acknowledge climate change is happening, I do not believe the global population will change its consumption enough to reduce global warming

Whitewavemark2 Mon 09-Aug-21 18:04:51

Katie59

Global warming is a fact of life, Arctic ice is melting and influencing the Gulf Stream, as temperatures increase.

That is a very long way from deducing that the climate in the UK is going to get warmer or colder, a third possibility is that the two will cancel each other out and we retain the temperate maritime climate we have now.

Really, you should not believe everything you read in the Guardian, you see “could”, “might” and “if” everywhere, it is just whatever the Guardian selects to suit its environment agenda and is certainly not scientific conclusion.

Myself, I acknowledge climate change is happening, I do not believe the global population will change its consumption enough to reduce global warming

I don’t believe everything I read in the guardian, I get my facts from my son who is an environmental scientist dealing with the consequences of climate change on a daily basis.

Alegrias1 Mon 09-Aug-21 18:18:25

Katie59

I'm glad you have assimilated the facts behind the melting Arctic ice and the impact that will probably have on the Gulf Stream.

Now we just need you to understand that it's not only the UK that we need to worry about.

I don't trust The Guardian as a source of scientific research about the climate. NASA, JPL and the IPCC now, they know what they're talking about. Like WWM2's son.

Katie59 Tue 10-Aug-21 09:04:38

The OP highlighted the Gulf Stream changes in addition to Global Warming as it affects the UK, we simply don’t know how that will affect the UK, there are a great many unknowns and anyone with any scientific authority will acknowledge that.

Probably the largest influence on the UK weather is the jet stream which maintains the westerly prevailing wind, when that moves north it gets colder, warmer if it moves south, that is affected by global warming as well.

Alegrias1 Tue 10-Aug-21 09:19:08

Its Global Warming that's causing the change to the Gulf Stream. You've got it the wrong way round re the jet stream; as it moves North, the UK gets warmer.

If you want scientific authority I'll just look out my Physics PhD certificate and copies of the papers I wrote on renewable energy sources. Or I'll ask DH to send you links to his work on forest cover. (Except I won't because it will out us.)

We're not getting this from the Guardian as part of a big environmentally focussed plot, its the truth.

Katie59 Tue 10-Aug-21 10:38:22

“Its Global Warming that's causing the change to the Gulf Stream. You've got it the wrong way round re the jet stream; as it moves North, the UK gets warmer.”

It’s the jet stream winds that govern our weather if it is to the south it’s warm, from the north it’s cold. In April the jet stream moved almost due north and brought an Arctic airflow right across the UK.

One theory is that as polar air becomes warmer the jet stream winds will weaken, will that cause more or less extreme weather events?.

Alegrias1 Tue 10-Aug-21 11:19:09

Summary of the Jet Stream and the weather it creates:
The position of the jet stream over the UK determines the type of weather we experience.
If the polar front jet is situated significantly to the south of the UK we will experience colder than average weather.
If the polar front jet is situated to the north of the UK we will experience warmer than average weather.
If the polar front jet is situated over the UK we will experience wetter and windier than average weather.

www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream/tutorial

Video from the Met office, about 3 minutes in: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg91eowtfbw&t=304s

Racingsparrow Tue 19-Oct-21 12:49:08

As a matter of interest do you have a science based education?