Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Wet wipes

(104 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 02-Nov-21 08:38:45

So shocked to read the article about the above on BBC webpage this morning. I honestly did not realise they contained plastic. I use them in the form of floor wipes, and kitchen and bathroom surface wipes. Only yesterday as i was polishing using a spray can i thought i am going to get some of the furniture wipes once this can is empty. Now the ones i do have will go in the bin and i defo wont be buying anymore. The impact they have on our sewage works and rivers is dreadful. Listening to programmes on the radio and hearing the newcasts about climate change is starting to have me really thinking about what i use and what is happening in the world. Anyone else had a lightbulb moment about the enviroment and what you can do to help.?

Skydancer Fri 05-Nov-21 22:01:45

I feel the same as Scones. I can’t believe that chemicals are sold in garden centres. It’s absurd.

Granmarderby10 Fri 05-Nov-21 22:59:41

I feel I must play the part of Devils Advocate here because many of the people posting suggestions on here for alternatives to wet wipes are concerned with cleaning the home and keeping themselves clean at home.

However due to the very different lives people live now (are often forced to live now) many people spend a goodly portion of their days and evenings in transit either directly to their workplace and back but often with detours to drop off children to nursery or school not local anymore then collect same children after and take them to various after school activities to occupy them until one parent or responsible adult can take over whilst another goes off to work.

It is a logistical nightmare if you have children attending different schools

My point being: these are long days and some hardly touch base so I can’t blame people if they use a wet wipe here or there to make the day more bearable, whether it be a deodorant, cleanser, or botty wipe or one to clean up their surroundings.

They are convenient and COVID aside it is going to take a sea change to get folks to cart damp flannels even if lathered with pretty soaps in there daily baggage burden.

I do “the nice thick/soft flannel- doused in a solution of my best soap -plus a dry one -in a food freezer bag” on picnic type outings or just anywhere where there is a likely to be grubbiness/stickiness; which is regarded with amusement by my adult kids but has come in handy on at least three occasions in the past year eg when younger GC “accidentally” sprayed older GC with sticky squash just before they were due to drive home in an already hot car.

Also manufacturers should just stop lying: stop saying these things are flushable when they are not and be truthful about the facts regarding biodegradability.
Rant over ?

Chardy Sun 07-Nov-21 11:35:51

I believe Which? have done reports on some wipes. Safe to Flush was best in class for toilet wipes (you can get them at Waitrose and Amazon, and presumably elsewhere)