Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Wet wipes

(103 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 02-Nov-21 08:38:45

So shocked to read the article about the above on BBC webpage this morning. I honestly did not realise they contained plastic. I use them in the form of floor wipes, and kitchen and bathroom surface wipes. Only yesterday as i was polishing using a spray can i thought i am going to get some of the furniture wipes once this can is empty. Now the ones i do have will go in the bin and i defo wont be buying anymore. The impact they have on our sewage works and rivers is dreadful. Listening to programmes on the radio and hearing the newcasts about climate change is starting to have me really thinking about what i use and what is happening in the world. Anyone else had a lightbulb moment about the enviroment and what you can do to help.?

Josianne Tue 02-Nov-21 08:45:25

When the huge fatberg was discovered in out town, wet wipes were found to be the worst culprit. I don't think I have ever flushed one away but I do use them occasionally and bin them.

Shinamae Tue 02-Nov-21 08:48:07

I use the face wipes and always bin them, would never dream of flushing any sort of wipe..

Calendargirl Tue 02-Nov-21 08:52:14

Whatever happened to using old rags for cleaning, washing surfaces, floors etc? Why does anyone need a ‘wipe’ to wash the floor?

I use old flannels and cut up old tee shirts, tea towels etc. After they get too tatty,they are binned.

Babies bottoms don’t have to be cleaned with a ‘wipe’ either.

We need to get back to basics, and make do with other stuff.

MerylStreep Tue 02-Nov-21 08:55:08

travelsafar
Your a bit late to the party but thank you for coming ?
Now that you’ve had your lightbulb moment you’ll find there’s another benefit: saving money it’s a win win ?

MerylStreep Tue 02-Nov-21 08:56:32

Shinamae

I use the face wipes and always bin them, would never dream of flushing any sort of wipe..

And then they have to be recycled somewhere ?

Niobe Tue 02-Nov-21 09:06:03

Merely Streep, no they are not recycled. They all go to landfill,

Lucca Tue 02-Nov-21 09:09:36

I don’t use any household or cosmetic ones. I have one pack of baby wipes for emergencies with grandchildren when out, otherwise we all use “cheeky wipes “, small cloths in other words.
The only other ones are for use on long haul flights to freshen up ones undercarriage ?

ayse Tue 02-Nov-21 09:12:22

I’ve been using old worn out clothes for years for all sorts of household jobs, in fact I never really stopped. It always seemed daft to me to pay for something I already have for free.

I like to buy cotton wool for faces but beware, lots of it is synthetic.

I’m glad the media seems to be publicising the damage caused by plastic, especially items in everyday use. I just wish more people would take some notice.

Boz Tue 02-Nov-21 09:13:16

For Crafty people. You can collect your face wipes in a net bag then put them through the wash to use as soft toy stuffing.

I've got one of those floor mops where you clip on a wipe.I have now started putting an old piece of cloth in place which then goes into the wash.

MiniMoon Tue 02-Nov-21 09:20:36

I must admit that I have been using the wood polish wipes. In my defence, I didn't buy them, DH did. I have spoken to him about them and he will not be buying any more.

shysal Tue 02-Nov-21 09:21:49

For removing make-up I use this type of washable pad, with miscellar water.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144249077788?hash=item2195ea401c:g:edQAAOSwe1Zhamv3

Shinamae Tue 02-Nov-21 09:24:39

shysal

For removing make-up I use this type of washable pad, with miscellar water.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144249077788?hash=item2195ea401c:g:edQAAOSwe1Zhamv3

Thank you, I have just ordered some from Amazon

Sago Tue 02-Nov-21 09:29:17

I use IKEA reusable freezer bags, they last years.
All my cleaning cloths are old rags, the older the better, they seem to improve with age!
I love Ecover and Bio D products.
For shampoos, etc I buy huge 1 litre bottles rather than loads of smaller ones and I use soap and soap bags rather than shower gel.

BigBertha1 Tue 02-Nov-21 09:34:03

I dont use any kind of wipe now. I bought a pile of cheap flannels for cleaning my face and washable dishcloths. No need for wipes at all really.

Casdon Tue 02-Nov-21 09:34:23

I use Wilko floor wipes, they are plastic free.

aggie Tue 02-Nov-21 09:34:54

I use face cloths instead of wipes , I loved the face wipes , but once I heard what they did I hunted out my old face cloths , warm water and a spot of cleanser and the same effect

Shinamae Tue 02-Nov-21 09:36:43

I also wash my face in the morning with just warm water and a muslin cloth

PollyTickle Tue 02-Nov-21 09:37:42

We haven’t lived anywhere on mains drains since we were first married. Having a septic tank makes us very aware of what we put down the toilet. Tissue only, nothing else. When we let our holiday cottage people put down wet wipes in spite of notices asking them not to. This resulted in clogging and extra costs to us as well as the environment.
I have never bought a wet wipe in my life, nor quilted toilet paper which is just as problematic.
When we lived in France we were even told to pour a special sachet of bugs down the toilet if we were on antibiotics as the latter affected the system.
If everyone had to have a personal domestic sewage system I’m sure we’d all be more careful.

PollyTickle Tue 02-Nov-21 09:39:03

Often progress is nothing of the sort

Shropshirelass Tue 02-Nov-21 09:39:34

I now only buy bamboo ones or the biodegradable ones. It is frightening how much plastic there is in everyday items. Chemicals in household cleaners is another one!! We just happily buy these things without realising exactly what they are and the harm they do.

timetogo2016 Tue 02-Nov-21 09:47:08

I don`t buy polish/surface cleaner, i use wipes in the car and when i am out of the house,never flush them.
I use cut up old clothing for furniture,mix lemons with water for bathroom windows and kitchen surfaces.
I do buy thin bleach for the toilet and use Coka- Cola to get rid of limescale when need be.

Scones Tue 02-Nov-21 10:22:27

Agree completely with Shropshirelass about "Chemicals in household cleaners" and how "We just happily buy these things without realising exactly what they are and the harm they do."

All those chemical garden products too. The rows and rows of things called stuff like 'Bug Clear' in the supermarket and garden centre make me want to week. All the good work so many do to save bees and other pollinators and half the population is out there spraying plants with chemicals to kill insects. Just let them be and another insect will come along to eat the pests. I'm so sad that people are still so in the dark after years of a barrage of information on these things.

Tizliz Tue 02-Nov-21 10:35:30

The current generation blames us ‘oldies’ for everything but I don’t think we can be using all the 11 billion (?) wipes used in the UK every year. Never use them, use old tea towels etc, very careful as to what goes in our drains.

MerylStreep Tue 02-Nov-21 10:35:33

scones
How true.
I use a product that looks like a wipe but it’s a sheet that’s goes into my washing machine.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=Earthbreeze+%2B+washing+cloths&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari