Gransnet forums

Science/nature/environment

Chilly This Morning

(48 Posts)
Margs Thu 10-Sept-26 04:09:43

Heating on for the first time this Autumn. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

Witzend Sun 13-Sept-26 14:21:21

Greenfinch

The temperature here in Berkshire is 22 degrees. Certainly not chilly and no need to put the heating on.

At the moment I’m just grateful to need neither the heating nor the fan that kept me (largely) sane during the heatwave!

AuntieE Sun 13-Sept-26 14:25:57

Autumn here, rain, cloudy and cold, so heating on, summer clothes washed and laid away.

Plans for Christmas bazaar starting to take shape.

pably15 Sun 13-Sept-26 14:32:40

sandye

I think my hubby is trying to kill me!
Put the heating on to 24.5 this morning at 6.30 and went out to his allotment. It was flipping hot.

same here Sandye, when the radiator cools when the heating gets to a certain temp, instead of waiting till it gets back up he turns the thermostat up higher, so I turn it down at the boiler...

polnan Sun 13-Sept-26 14:42:13

wow! now I won`t feel so daft, I have just put my heating on at 2.30 p.m Sunday, despite the clocks telling me it is 22 deg in my house.. Swindon...

Aely Sun 13-Sept-26 14:49:03

The neighbourhood cat obviously thinks it is chilly as he has already spent a couple of nights sleeping on my laundry basket but so far it has been ok for me although I did resort to my winter dressing gown a couple of mornings last week.

Harris27 Sun 13-Sept-26 14:55:07

I’m confused I was freezing on Thursday on a day out then today I’m hot again. Think my thermostat is broke!

HobbyCat Sun 13-Sept-26 15:40:25

It’s still over 20c where I live and will be for the next few days.

Jenthehen Sun 13-Sept-26 16:00:42

Already using log burner, lovely! Also winter weight duvet.

Mollygo Sun 13-Sept-26 16:06:59

OK here in North West. Walked the dog without a coat at 7.30 am, though I did have a long sleeved top.

Casdon Sun 13-Sept-26 16:14:07

It’s miserable in mid Wales today. It’s been drizzling nearly all day, so although it’s not cold, it’s dank.

LadyGracie Sun 13-Sept-26 16:19:29

I’ve changed our 1 tog duvet for a 4.5 tog that’ll be it for a month or two .

MartavTaurus Sun 13-Sept-26 16:51:54

Devon has been clammy today and we've just had a bit of cool rain. No heating on yet, and my back doors are wide open from 6.30 am onwards for new puppy.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 13-Sept-26 17:21:36

Sunny here and pleasantly warm. I’ve got my holiday wash load dried outside on the balcony which pleased me. No need for heating in this apt it’s well insulated. Probably December and then only occasionally. My electric bill will be low!

Iam64 Sun 13-Sept-26 17:29:59

I walked the dogs.half the time in overcast grey skies, then bright sunshine.
Left the house at 11.30 am to drive forty mins to a fantastic Hall now run by the council but from medieval times till the 1950s by a wealthy family. We took raincoats but the weather shifted to 20degrees of sunshine. Fascinating history and beautiful grounds to wander through in bright warm sunshine. I’m now sitting in a loveky warm sun in my garden, Lancashire - no wonder we plan for all eventualities when venturing out

appletree21 Sun 13-Sept-26 17:58:40

Heating has been on here for a couple of days, it's been really cold. 😬Anyway it seems that we are in for another heatwave from tomorrow (Monday) !!!

GreyKnitter Sun 13-Sept-26 18:09:00

Def don’t need it yet in Hampshire.

Izzy24 Sun 13-Sept-26 18:12:59

I opened all the windows because it’s warmer outside than in. Dorset/Devon border.

JenniRen Sun 13-Sept-26 18:34:43

Still reasonably mild here, about 21C earlier. I was wearing a short-sleeved top and linen trousers when we went out, although carrying a cardigan and mac in case.
Overnight temperature is predicted to be about 16/17C.

win Sun 13-Sept-26 19:22:56

Pilgrimandrew

Who on earth puts their heating on in September? It's still summer for goodness sake, man up, move around more or get outside, it's often warmer!

Speak for yourself, lots of us feel the cold due to various diseases and lack of good circulation, there is no way I could shower without the heating on now first thing in the morning. Yes it is warmer outside, but as I do not shower outside the heating goes on whilst I shower..

Thisismyname1953 Sun 13-Sept-26 20:22:41

I will put the heating on boost for an hour in the morning. Only because my DD and her husband will be on an overnight flight from Jamaica where they have been celebrating their silver wedding anniversary. She will be cold .
Once they’re settled in they will light the new log burner to keep the living room warm .

Dancinggran Sun 13-Sept-26 22:17:01

I haven't had heating on yet - I have really good insulation and temperature in living room at 5.30 this morning was 21° . There was light rain when I took the dog out at 7am (North West regioñ).

Dearbhla Mon 14-Sept-26 00:44:17

Still mercifully mild oop north. It's miserable if you feel the cold, despite being wrapped up in the right clothes. And if your mobility or health are compromised, it's not always easy or possible to move about more or go outside. People's perceptions and actual tolerance of cold vary so widely. 2 weeks before the big heatwave my MIL wanted heating on just after eve meal at 18.30. It must have been 23C but she felt cold. If it's cold, my heating goes on until my place is warm. No guilt, no arguments. Loving the tips on previous posts. Men's thermal outdoor work socks are my go to for cold weather. And I make sure I have a layer (or 3 ), of wool or old army blankets that I sleep on top of. Toasty.