Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Oh FFS!

(172 Posts)
j08 Wed 28-Aug-13 08:54:23

Is this a forum for normal everyday women of the 21st century, or a cosy little space for older ladies straight from the local church hall and with their own sweet reminisces of finishing school or, at the very least memories of the school hockey field and sewing lessons with the nuns?

It would appear that under the new regime, in the soon to be absence of the slightly more broadminded Geraldine, we are not allowed to use even the most inoffensive of Anglo Saxon words. Like FUCK.

Are those amongst us who came here from anything goes Mumsnet supposed to have turned into virtuous beings overnight? How? Why?

Is n' t it ageist to allow younger women to swear, but not older ones?

hmm

Lilygran Wed 28-Aug-13 08:59:02

Hear, hear!

Stansgran Wed 28-Aug-13 09:01:11

So tell us what happened. Mumsnet is sweary even in their names but they lack our broad world weary experience of life . I must admit I often see worthy threads about global warming or Syria and tend to think I no longer give an FF but I skip them.

Ana Wed 28-Aug-13 09:04:34

A crackdown on swearing, urging us to be less 'understanding' and to report more, zero tolerance for oddballs and ambiguous posts....welcome to the New Gransnet! hmm

Sel Wed 28-Aug-13 09:09:56

Seditious question j08 it'll be detention for you grin

Couldn't agree more.

petallus Wed 28-Aug-13 09:15:07

j08 you do have a knack of hitting the nail well and truly on the head.

I have started looking at Mumsnet just to get a bit of relief from the growing 'worthiness' of GN. I often come away feeling uplifted and smiling to myself and they are just as compassionate as we are when someone posts with a problem.

I have noticed that MN get away with 'emphatic language' even as far as the 'c' word. Do the powers that be think there should be different rules for little old ladies?

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 09:22:31

Who's bothered about a bit of swearing? Sometimes, a perfectly placed cuss can be just the word that is needed. grin

Gally Wed 28-Aug-13 09:24:05

Have I missed something? Geraldine? Going? Where?

Ella46 Wed 28-Aug-13 09:27:31

Oh petallus, 'worthiness' is just the word! I've been wondering what happened to the GN that we joined in 2011.

So many of the threads are about serious stuff, but this is supposed to be a site for Gparents, not lecturers/teachers/social workers etc.

There's no fun or frivolity any more because it's 'frowned on', and while I find some of the threads interesting, a little light relief would be nice.

Ella46 Wed 28-Aug-13 09:28:47

Where does it say about 'new rules' please?

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 09:37:07

Hang on a minute. grin We can all inject fun and frivolity whenever we choose. There was a virtual party a couple of weeks ago, and the Banter Bar and Just Jokes threads are always there. There's room for fun and serious discussion. It's our Gransnet to create what we want to reflect our interests. smile

Ceesnan Wed 28-Aug-13 09:50:14

That's not quite true though, is it when ? Recently threads have been deleted for pretty spurious reasons.

Ceesnan Wed 28-Aug-13 09:52:29

It seems to me that some members have more influence tha others. I know this has been remarked on - and denied, but I know I'm not alone on thinking this.

bluebell Wed 28-Aug-13 09:53:20

Absolutely When - how bloody(allowed?) ridiculous to say there is no fun and frivolity on GN. And it's f***ing ridiculous to say its for grandparents and not teachers, social workers etc. firstly, many are both and secondly, the statement stereotypes grandparents and the interests we have. Two threads have just started on MLK and I wouldn't want to be on a forum where today that didn't happen. No one has to read the serious threads - I can't be a**ed with the banter bar - so what?

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 09:54:02

Are you sure? GNHQ asked us to accept that they had good reason. Geraldine was involved, and as Jingle says, she is broadminded.

gracesmum Wed 28-Aug-13 09:54:02

There are other F words too, * fun, frivolity, fellowship, FRIENDSHIP*. smile

bluebell Wed 28-Aug-13 09:54:16

Oh FFS - not the banning again ! Boring!!!

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 09:54:46

Sorry, bluebell nipped in there. That was my reply to Ceesnan smile

Mishap Wed 28-Aug-13 09:56:19

There seems to be a bit of everything as far as I can see - frivolity, seriousness and whatever you will. People can slot into whichever thread suits their mood or interests them. That's OK by me.

Ella46 - some of the grandparents have the misfortune (or whatever) to have spent their lives as "lecturers/teachers/social workers" so are likely to pick up on relevant threads - that's OK by me too.

I don'tt hink there ever was that much swearing on here was there? - I'm easy either way. Swear away as you wish - I will not be shocked. Desist from swearing - I will not feel short-changed.

Room for all sorts.

bluebell Wed 28-Aug-13 09:57:05

Realised that When !

Sel Wed 28-Aug-13 09:58:37

Ella46 you too have hit the nail on the head. I don't feel I fit the preferred profile ie ex teacher/social worker/lecturer Guardian reader. I don't feel worthy enough. My grammar may not be sufficiently up to scratch and I may laugh too much or make a light comment on a heavy thread.

It's apparent too that some members are quick to run to teacher waving their report of inappropriate behaviour hoping to get a banning order. Seems they achieve this and it's nasty. Personally I feel quite upset at these bans and wonder what it does to the person who is banned. Not something I'd want on my conscience.

I've been away for a few days - who's gone now who didn't fit the profile?

bluebell Wed 28-Aug-13 10:03:26

JO's OP about swearing is really interesting - I was quite shocked when I first visited MN at the language there and am rather ambivalent about what should be allowed on GN. I do find FFS as an acronym
often very apposite but would not want to see c* used . I know some members do mind swearing and so on balance would be happy to desist as there are plenty of other words available.( I would rather like to be able to use FFS however- the exasperation that expresses us like no other expression)

bluebell Wed 28-Aug-13 10:07:28

Sel - FFS!!! What preferred profile? Oh yes, preferred by HQ so that any report from them results in a banning order! Oh grow up - if you think so little of HQ, why bother with such a dreadful forum. And you really don't know who's gone? Pull the other one!

whenim64 Wed 28-Aug-13 10:08:09

Where is the 'preferred profile' sel? I want to know if I fit it, too! grin

merlotgran Wed 28-Aug-13 10:11:38

Zero tolerance, reporting more, less understanding.....How long before we spot the head prefects? hmm

I wonder how many lurkers report stuff?