Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Site security

(84 Posts)
Soutra Mon 10-Feb-14 17:58:56

With a webchat on Internet Security I feel now might be the time to tackle the issue of "undesirables". By this I mean someone like an OP recently who turns out to be a former member barred for his/her conduct in the past. A thread started by this person has been deleted but his/her change of persona went unheeded for some days until he/she went "too far". There have been other instances of a former member "reappearing" and then dropping out of sight sharpish when challenged. We all know a change of name following deregistration and re- registration is allowed and usually it is because a member is afraid their anonymity has been compromised and not for any subversive or malign purpose.
The answer from GNHQ is to report suspicious posts to them and leave them to do the policing but given that there are those who slip through the net and stir up dissension when challenged, is this enough? We need to remember not to give away too much personal information especially any which might identify us but at the same time the essence of GN is to be able to pour your heart out and seek advice/sympathy/comfort. I hate the thought that there are predatory posters checking out ex-wives of millionaires, people's financial background or housing or care home issues. Is there a way forward? confused

absent Mon 10-Feb-14 18:36:45

It's a tricky one Soutra and there will always be at least the potential for rotten eggs in every barrel. I suspect that the only answer is vigilance and quick response, as in the case you cite.

Ana Mon 10-Feb-14 18:41:57

It's always going to be a problem with an open site. Anyone in the world can view our posts without having to register as a member, and I think GNHQ do all they can to weed out the 'intruders'. (Some can be very amusing, though...wink)

rockgran Mon 10-Feb-14 18:57:04

You have to remember at all times that anything you post is public. If you would not be happy to divulge some information, say in a conversation on a bus, then don't risk it online. I'm always telling my friends about Gransnet and what a great site it is, but I am aware that if they join they may recognise me and I wouldn't want to be caught saying anything they might object to. It's common sense really.

glammanana Mon 10-Feb-14 21:12:56

Everything that I post on here can be discussed with my family or friends and they all know that I am registered here but obviously I would not put private information on here,what I do object to and it has only happened in the past 2/3 weeks is people using the messaging system to send me unsolicitored PM's where I have to get to the point of barring that member from contacting me this I do not find amusing and I agree with Soutra 100% on her comments.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Feb-14 21:17:08

Be sure to swallow this thread once you have read it. hmm

Ana Mon 10-Feb-14 21:27:11

I've never received (actually, there was one, but that was ages ago) unwelcome PMs from anyone on here. Quite frankly, glamma, I would name and shame them on the site if someone is harassing you, as well as informing GNHQ!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Feb-14 21:34:10

Yep! I would do the same.

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:35:51

I've had some truly lovely PMs since I joined last year. But I did have to block one person a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if it was the same person who bothered you, glamma...?!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 10-Feb-14 21:42:28

Who was it?! Go on - tell.

I don't understand this thread. [shrug]

Galen Mon 10-Feb-14 21:43:54

I've had one from a former(thank god) poster which really upset me. She appeared not so long ago under another name but when challenged vanished!

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:47:02

Bet it's the same one Galen.

whenim64 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:47:34

I also had to block this same person. Intrusive and unpleasant.

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Feb-14 21:51:21

Almost predatory.

Galen Mon 10-Feb-14 21:57:31

Agreed!

Paige Mon 10-Feb-14 22:07:40

It's one of the reasons I changed my name!

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:12:05

God, you too Paige? We should start a club!

Ana Mon 10-Feb-14 22:15:48

Crikey - although I seem to be immune, I promise it's not me...hmm

newist Mon 10-Feb-14 22:16:19

Is this person still posting, give us a clue

Dragonfly1 Mon 10-Feb-14 22:18:26

Haven't seen a post for a while.

JessM Mon 10-Feb-14 22:29:20

Not allowed newist - against site guidelines. I someone sends you a mean PM or you feel uneasy about them, let GN know your concerns.

Lona Mon 10-Feb-14 22:30:26

I had a couple from the same person, nasty!

absent Mon 10-Feb-14 22:31:38

There was a huge outcry when a member did name and shame someone regarding a pm. We can't have it both ways.

Ana Mon 10-Feb-14 22:35:17

Jess, it is not 'not allowed'.

If someone is causing disruption on the site, of course GNHQ would rather they were informed first, but I do think that some of these unpleasant PMs could be stopped in their tracks if members actually reported them on the forum.

Aka Mon 10-Feb-14 22:37:14

It's not just 'undesirables' who haunt forums. After I wrote my blog someone from the Daily Mail tried to find me to do a follow up interview.