Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Reporting a post

(19 Posts)
mollie Fri 21-Feb-14 12:54:53

Lots of talk about reporting posts and asking for posts to be deleted recently so can I ask how? I know there's a 'report this post' button but is that just for posts that offend you? How do I ask for one of my posts to be deleted - do I report myself? Apologies for my ignorance...

ffinnochio Fri 21-Feb-14 12:57:45

Yes, mollie - You just need to use the report button and ask for your post to be deleted.

mollie Fri 21-Feb-14 12:59:11

Ta muchly.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 22-Feb-14 14:54:43

Yep do use the report button on top of the post you're referring to for anything - whether it's reporting a poster, spam, your own posts smile

Ana Sat 22-Feb-14 14:56:36

So we can just report any of our own posts we've had second thoughts about and they'll be deleted, just like that...? hmm

Soutra Sat 22-Feb-14 15:06:42

Yep
That was what I apparently failed tried to recommend on the the thread about an edit/delete button a wee while ago.hmm

Ana Sat 22-Feb-14 15:34:40

Well, let's hope we don't all do it at once.

mollie Sat 22-Feb-14 15:37:31

I know Soutra, your point wasn't lost on me but it still means involving a third party. A delete button, or an edit button, is much more desirable IMHO.

merlotgran Sat 22-Feb-14 15:38:14

grin Ana

Aka Sat 22-Feb-14 15:58:34

If GNHQ aren't paying attention (I expect it's time for their cucumber sandwiches and cupcake ) it would be a fun thing to organise Ana and by the time they'd figured it out they'd have deleted so many posts they wouldn't know who was to blame.

shysal Sat 22-Feb-14 16:14:03

Aka/Ana grin

JessM Sat 22-Feb-14 17:11:33

Basically mollie the GN staff don't have time to monitor all the threads and make sure that their "talk guidelines" and other rules are being followed by all posters. So if for instance you spot a new poster trying to advertise (without paying GN) or posting a link to something nasty it is helpful to report it. Likewise if you see anything else that breaks guidelines. In this way we can all help to keep GN legal, decent and honest. To find the guidelines click on the Getting Started link at the bottom and then the Netiquette link on that.
If it was not a thread that was the problem - e.g. if it was a PM, (and it has happened for instance that journalists abuse this) then there is also the contact us option at the bottom of the page.

Ana Sat 22-Feb-14 17:12:59

mollie wanted to know about getting her own posts deleted, Jess.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 22-Feb-14 18:36:01

Aka

If GNHQ aren't paying attention (I expect it's time for their cucumber sandwiches and cupcake ) it would be a fun thing to organise Ana and by the time they'd figured it out they'd have deleted so many posts they wouldn't know who was to blame.

Oi, not on my shift you don't! wink

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 22-Feb-14 18:38:49

Of course if there's a genuine reason, like you've posted something too revealing, we'll happily withdraw your post(s) for you. We do read each report and take each one into consideration.

As for having a delete/edit button, Cari posted why we wouldn't have one here.

Galen Sat 22-Feb-14 19:02:02

Why can't we post animated emoticons like you can on other forums? ? Forae?

Ariadne Sat 22-Feb-14 19:07:07

Fora. It's a neuter plural.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 22-Feb-14 19:25:27

Galen

Why can't we post animated emoticons like you can on other forums? ? Forae?

That hasn't really come up before, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be one of tech's priorities... <loses count how many items we've recently added> grin

Galen Sat 22-Feb-14 19:39:09

Pretty please ask them? Marshmallows and [cupcakes]