Gransnet forums

Site stuff

All this repeating other posters' remarks in italics...

(132 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Jul-14 22:49:30

...isn't it just encouraging fighting between posters, rather than just debating the subject up for discussion?

As well as driving me totally round the bend.

hmm

Ana Tue 22-Jul-14 22:53:05

I don't mind it if the poster says who they're quoting. If they don't, it's a pain having to trawl back to find out.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Jul-14 23:12:43

It's confusing. What do you do when you need to use italics in the normal way - for emphasis? People would look back to see you are quoting.

Soutra Tue 22-Jul-14 23:24:44

Does it really matter? As Ana says f you know you are reading a quote it does save going back to find what the original comment was, and frankly whether you use "" marks, italics or bold seems totally irrelevant to me.

GrannyTwice Tue 22-Jul-14 23:55:48

^...isn't it just encouraging fighting between posters, rather than just debating the subject up for discussion?

As well as driving me totally round the bend.^

I don't mind it if the poster says who they're quoting. If they don't, it's a pain having to trawl back to find out.

It's confusing. What do you do when you need to use italics in the normal way - for emphasis? People would look back to see you are quoting.

Does it really matter? As Ana says f you know you are reading a quote it does save going back to find what the original comment was, and frankly whether you use "" marks, italics or bold seems totally irrelevant to me.

All crystal clear to me

GrannyTwice Tue 22-Jul-14 23:57:44

Clearly haven't enough to do

GrannyTwice Tue 22-Jul-14 23:59:19

Clearly haven't enough to do

But have now mastered the art if italicising whilst finishing off my rose

GrannyTwice Wed 23-Jul-14 00:00:38

But not the art of mastering predictive texting

GrannyTwice Wed 23-Jul-14 00:01:08

Just did - time for bed I think

thatbags Wed 23-Jul-14 06:59:59

Chuckle.

thatbags Wed 23-Jul-14 07:01:17

It's easy to send jings round the bend. Let's think of some new way now. wink

MiceElf Wed 23-Jul-14 07:14:14

Bags grin

Gagagran Wed 23-Jul-14 07:44:47

Let's not start on jings - I'm surprised at you bags ! She's the salt that savours our porridge and she has been SO good recently! wink

Grannyknot Wed 23-Jul-14 08:15:21

jings these forums are for everybody and we can all do as we please (including you, of course) grin

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Jul-14 08:22:07

And I'm getting fed up with the colour scheme round here!

Time to get the decorators in HQ?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Jul-14 08:23:03

That And was not a quote BTW.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 23-Jul-14 08:26:22

grannytwice if you can't get your head round what I mean, well - never mind dear. smile [encouraging pat on the head]

GrannyTwice Wed 23-Jul-14 08:31:30

Actually I'm really with J on this

jings these forums are for everybody and we can all do as we please (including you, of course)

Apart from the fact that its manifestly untrue that we can all do as we want, as I am a bear if very little brain, I do get lost in longish posts that use a lot of italics. It's a perfectly reasonable comment for J to make -as is the comment about the colour scheme

MiceElf Wed 23-Jul-14 08:41:47

Yes! It's PINK. And Pink Stinks. That's a campaign group BTW.

GrannyTwice Wed 23-Jul-14 08:44:40

Oh Mice- shush

Elegran Wed 23-Jul-14 08:47:55

Better than repeating them in bold as though you are shouting them out as your own emphatic contribution to the conversation (and doing the same to every second sentence of your post so as to make World War III of your opinion) ?

Come to think of it, if you are repeating what someone posted, then ypu are quoting. If you were doing it thoroughly, of course, you would add the posters name and the date and time. That would leave no time or energy for the rebuttal, but by then no-one would still be reading it anyway.

Nonu Wed 23-Jul-14 08:49:13

But, pink is a nice GIRLIE colour, I like it !!

grin

Soutra Wed 23-Jul-14 09:23:28

shock

HollyDaze Wed 23-Jul-14 09:23:42

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 22-Jul-14 22:49:30

...isn't it just encouraging fighting between posters, rather than just debating the subject up for discussion?

As well as driving me totally round the bend.

hmm

If you are expecting me to bothered by your references to this, I'm not bothered - not in the least.

Now people who make posts that carry no-one's name, no quote of what is being referred to so no-one has any idea who you are talking to or what you are talking about - that is irritating but easily solved: I've just stopped reading most of your posts.

HollyDaze Wed 23-Jul-14 09:25:21

MiceElf

Yes! It's PINK.

It looks more like a shade of lilac to me!