Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Dear GNHQ

(48 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Aug-14 21:58:45

I wonder if I could ask you a question which has been puzzling me for a while. Well, since yesterday, I think.

When I used, on occasion, got the registration removal page, it said something like, "If you delete your registration you won't be able to post. Of course, you can rejoinder later if you change your mind.

It no longer says the bit about being welcome to rejoin at a later date.

Does this mean a change of policy? If we leave and then a week or two later want to come back, do we now gave to send a humbly worded plea for forgiveness, and beg a return to the fold?

If the policy has changed here, has it changed "Over There" as well?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Aug-14 21:59:37

went to. Not got to.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Aug-14 22:00:25

cross off the der from rejoinder.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Aug-14 22:01:18

have to. not gave to.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Aug-14 22:02:36

Just say if you would like me to try again without the mistakes.

Ana Fri 08-Aug-14 22:06:32

I would also like to ask why any reference to a member's former identity seems to be taboo in some cases, but not in others.

It really does seem to smack of 'friends in high places' in the case of some name-changers, and doesn't make for a friendly environment.

thatbags Fri 08-Aug-14 22:08:26

Perhaps it depends on what the name-changer wants, ana, rather than what GNHQ 'decide'. Some who have changed their username may not want us to know. Others don't mind.

Ana Fri 08-Aug-14 22:08:59

Ignoring any request for enlightenment isn't helpful either, but of course you know best, GNHQ moon

Ana Fri 08-Aug-14 22:17:25

Yes, bags, I know that thank you. It's understandable that some former members wouldn't want us, necessarily, to know who they were before - as I said in my previous post.

What pisses me off is that certain former troublemakers are allowed back on and no mention of their former identity is allowed, even though it's bloody obvious who they are!

I don't give a damn if I get banned for this post. Had enough.

thatbags Fri 08-Aug-14 22:27:41

How do you know about the alleged return of these "troublemakers", ana? Do you have secret information that the rest of us (well, me anyway) lack?

thatbags Fri 08-Aug-14 22:29:17

In short, the bloody obvious bit isn't and has never been bloody obvious to me.

Apart from that, why get pissed off about it? Are they bothering you, these alleged "troublemakers"?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Aug-14 22:43:15

This was meant to be between me and HQ. Which, on a weekend, most likely means Julie. hmm

Terrafirma1 Fri 08-Aug-14 22:55:11

I thought any thread was for open discussion so while I personally haven't anything to contribute I would defend the right of those who want to, to do so. " Private" communication with GNHQ might be more effective in the form of an email.
Just saying.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 08-Aug-14 23:01:40

Oh, for goodness sake. That was meant as a joke.

hmm

Aka Fri 08-Aug-14 23:05:47

Yes, it's obvious to me Ana and yes, they are the reason I rarely post now Bags

newist Fri 08-Aug-14 23:08:36

You 2 are my favorite posters, smile

Annaries Fri 08-Aug-14 23:12:14

Are you a troublemaker, ana?

Ceesnan Sat 09-Aug-14 07:02:14

Aka and Ana - me too! smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-Aug-14 08:50:19

Annaries are you a Mumsnetter? Of course, that's fine. But I just wondered. Something in the style of posting. smile

And perhaps terrafirma also?

Lona Sat 09-Aug-14 08:54:11

Allowed back on and then seem to think they're now in charge!
Allegedly!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 09-Aug-14 08:59:24

I think all-comers should be welcome. Including returning leavers/barred-ites. I like a bit of argie-bargie now and then. wink

Got to get up "their" poor old noses now and then. grin

Lona Sat 09-Aug-14 09:08:43

I don't see the point of coming back with a new name and then continuing with the same old feuds.

But, I do think we should be able to leave and then come back if we wish to.

POGS Sat 09-Aug-14 10:55:51

I think it is perfectly in order to change you name if it's for personal reasons, I don't think there is one GN who would argue that point.

I think there are times when we all might get a bit fed up and get our knickers in a twist and give up GN for a while. That's the nature of the beast and unless you are a fence sitter, so much so you get a splinter in your bum, then that would probably apply more to the regular posters who do join in debate.

What I find annoying is when a poster changes name after you have had time to 'get to know' their style, views and have taken the time to debate with them but sense they have returned under another name. It will inevitably follow from that particular posters name no longer being seen but a new name with the same, dare I say it, usually barbed tongue or slight egotistical characteristic suddenly appears. It is obvious this point cannot be proven but that is how I read the situation some times.

There is another thread going that is to be honest a no brainer as to how changing your name could upset other GN's and I honestly don't see the point. There must be something I'm missing.

Can I ask this question to those who have changed names, did you find for a while you were getting a different response from other GN's for a while until they 'got to know you', probably never knowing who you posted under before? I don't mean jings 12345 that is pretty evident.

Mishap Sat 09-Aug-14 11:17:29

I can see the point of a change of name over a privacy issue, but otherwise it seems a strange thing to do.

kittylester Sat 09-Aug-14 11:22:33

I tend to agree with Pogs. I find it really confusing if people come back as someone else (unless it's obvious eg jings and bags) unless they tell us. I especially find it difficult if they aren't blue'd either as there are absolutely no clues at all. I tend not to analyse writing styles but take on board the sentiments expressed.

Presumably, that means I am a bear of little brain or having arguments on GN doesn't loom large enough in my life! confused