Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Arguments attract aggressors.

(80 Posts)
Elegran Sun 03-May-15 10:59:07

I wonder if anyone else has the impression that a good ding-dong on a thread seems very often to attract swarms of spammers and inspires trouble-makers to start up new threads on controversial and divisive subjects and keep stoking them?

Most of the time the forum goes along as usual, lots of conversations and exchanges, mostly goodnatured chat or reasoned debate with the occasional raised voice. Sometimes a more heated debate gets going, where more people join in. After that, there is a rash of angry threads which seem to come from nowhere, started by people I have never heard of before, and lots of posts wanting us to go to someone's website and presumably spend money there.

I assume they see the arguments on a search engine, and think "Is this a private fight or can anyone join in?" so they join set GN and set up their boxing ring (or their market stall on the edge of the bare-knuckle bout)

I don't include here the anger in some threads from established posters - they are not the opportunist hitchhikers I am talking about.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Jun-15 18:44:35

Shall we have an answer jeannie?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Jun-15 18:43:50

Ana that is such a good observation! grin (Sat 06-Jun-15 23:16:57)

trisher Sun 07-Jun-15 16:24:16

Are there really people doing this? Could it not simply be that people see the arguments and want to add something to them and they don't usually post because they find the threads boring. Otherwise we may have a very strange phenomena-not "Reds under the bed," but "Grans under the net"

soontobe Sun 07-Jun-15 13:26:57

So far. I am not so sure the later part is going to.

soontobe Sun 07-Jun-15 13:24:33

Yes. My life turned out almost exactly as I was expecting.

durhamjen Sun 07-Jun-15 12:08:04

Did your life turn out how you were expecting, soon? Are you in that category?
Just asking.

soontobe Sun 07-Jun-15 08:44:23

And some people carry around huge sadness. Some peoples' lives dont turn out how they were expecting.

soontobe Sun 07-Jun-15 08:40:34

jeanie99 may be venting.

People in life who may not speak nicely all the time, are actually perfectly capable of doing so.
So I assume it feeds something inside themselves when they choose not to speak nicely.
Stress can cause it. And anger from decades ago. It is a very sad situation for them.

Soutra Sat 06-Jun-15 23:59:19

I too am so glad that you are so not interested in this type of communication and wouldn't get involved that you felt obliged to get involved!confused and glad you didn't waste your time either grin

Ana Sat 06-Jun-15 23:16:57

You were bothered enough to bring this thread back up again though, jeanie99. For what purpose?

jeanie99 Sat 06-Jun-15 23:14:18

I have noticed on some posts throughout that people can be very nasty to each other.

I don't bother to note who these people are because I am not interested in this type of communication and wouldn't get involved it would be a complete waste of my time.

Ana Tue 05-May-15 18:30:43

It's a very useful tip, Anya, better learned late than never, eh? grin

Anya Tue 05-May-15 18:12:29

Exactly Ana grin well worked out!

So this time I was less subtle and ......grin

rosequartz Tue 05-May-15 18:04:50

All unkind remarks are wrong behaviour. People should actually try their best not to do them.

I do try my best, honestly soon
As they used to say to me at school: 'Your best is just not good enough'
(can't do any better though can I, or it wouldn't be my best!)
wink

Repeats:
Every Day in Every Way I'm Getting Better and Better
[halo]

Ana Tue 05-May-15 18:02:59

grin rose!

But actually it was quite a clever way to ensure that no fury was forthcoming.

rosequartz Tue 05-May-15 17:59:22

it would have meant some posters exposing themselves
anya I am in shock

This is too much for someone of my tender years

Soutra Tue 05-May-15 16:50:07

Goodness, I never thought my post a propos of a couple of comments from -Magpie would rank as unpleasantness!! I was merely referring to the 2 occasions when Gransnetters were accused of having " sad lives" by the poster in question. Now that was what I call "unpleasantness", that along with the assumption that we were all suffering from Alzheimer's. Unpleasant AND uncalled for.
So Anya don't shoot me down in flames please. Hey, anything to brighten up a sad life. grin

soontobe Tue 05-May-15 14:40:54

Not sure how to answer that jingl. I row with my husband from time to time. Does that count?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-May-15 14:36:23

Or have they? Come on. 'fess up. When did you last think something evil wicked slightly non Christian?

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-May-15 14:34:17

No it's not! It's - human nature. grin

Alright for you missis. An impure thought has obviously never entered your brain.

soontobe Tue 05-May-15 14:30:20

All unkind remarks are wrong behaviour. People should actually try their best not to do them.
Saying human nature, is a cop out.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 05-May-15 14:03:00

Oh! It's human nature to respond in kind. We're not saints. hmm

I'm surprised people can remember past small wrongs experienced on here. Better memory than me.

hildajenniJ Tue 05-May-15 13:51:42

Me too loopylou. I was once "told off", not long after I joined the site. I almost went away intending not to come back. I decided to stay after thinking it through and coming to the conclusion that I might not have been very clear in my post. I always know what I want to say, but sometimes it doesn't come across well. Now I make sure that what I do say will not cause anyone offense.

GrannyTwice Tue 05-May-15 13:38:00

You mean I don't own the site ? shock confused

Eloethan Tue 05-May-15 13:24:59

Anya You originally said "Most of the real nastiness comes from a small band of long term posters who think they own the site".

To which, Magpie responded:

" Anya, well said. Sad lives that's all I can think of".

Given the unpleasantness of both those comments, I thought Soutra's rather witty riposte was appropriate.