Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Dear gransnet

(173 Posts)
soontobe Fri 29-May-15 10:32:31

I would like some advice please.

On some threads, I am asked question after question after question etc[plus a couple of not so nice comments] about what I have posted.

At what point should I refuse to answer any more posts, even if they are incorrect about me or someone has got the wrong end of the stick about something I have posted.

I know I dont have to answer, but I dont like misconceptions about what I have posted. Plus no matter how many posts I answer, there are still more questions. I am actually quite happy to answer them. But is that ok with gransnet ok?
[Any bad feeling on a thread about me,I can more than deal with and I dont have a problem with]

I think this happens to other posters as well, but maybe they dont have quite as many questions asked of them as I do.

soontobe Fri 29-May-15 13:17:28

I think that my problem, if I have one, is that I need to see things that I write are correct.
So if someone misinterprets what I write, or misunderstands, I need it corrected. And I think that it is quite a big need.
Truth is hugely important to me.
Perhaps I should accept though, that whatever I, or anyone writes, may not be able to be wholely expressed to its entirety. But I cant leave some of the misunderstandings or misinterpretations, because else it alters what I am trying to say.

LucyGransnet answered my question, as I had wondered if I was breaking any rules, but realised, as the thread progressed, and partly last night that I wasnt. Yeah.

rhetorical questions - I find them hard to spot, if not impossible.

mcem - nothing to do with last word or attention seeking. And now I know for sure that I am not breaking gransnet rules, I will answer those sorts of posts a bit more robustly in future when they crop up.

harrigran Fri 29-May-15 13:28:05

biscuit

Katek Fri 29-May-15 13:29:22

It's all in your control Soon, just stop when you want!! Did you really expect GN to rule on unwritten threads with unknown content happening at some indeterminate time in the future? How can they? I think I would have used a different word than disingenuous.

Never mind tea and biscuit....large piece of carrot cake required. Very large.

soontobe Fri 29-May-15 13:32:00

I will stop on this thread now.

Ana Fri 29-May-15 13:37:04

Last word on the subject?

(Don't answer that, it was a rhetorical question...)

Agus Fri 29-May-15 13:44:00

Last piece of advice soon. You do not have to announce to everyone that you will be stopping on a thread.......Just stop!

thatbags Fri 29-May-15 13:54:36

Truth can be elusive. There are very few absolute truths.

pompa Fri 29-May-15 13:59:40

"There are very few absolute truths" well that's one for a start smile

Anya Fri 29-May-15 14:25:43

Get thee to the philosophy thread bags & pompa wink

Lilygran Fri 29-May-15 15:29:12

Thank you for the cake, bags!

kittylester Fri 29-May-15 16:34:37

What have I missed this time? confused #always in the wrong place.......

Stansgran Fri 29-May-15 16:34:50

I generally post and move on as I seem to have a natural gift for killing a thread#somethimgipridemyselfon

durhamjen Fri 29-May-15 16:40:18

Are you getting worried now, stansgran? Six minutes and nobody's posted on the thread.

Nelliemoser Fri 29-May-15 17:09:44

Three whole hours off this thread. I have not looked anywhere else. Is this a record? #rapsownknucklesforbeingnaughty. Bad nelliemoser.

janeainsworth Fri 29-May-15 17:15:47

#conversationkiller

TriciaF Fri 29-May-15 17:27:18

Soontobe:
If you're still reading this, and are interested in religious study, I suggest you look at this link:
www.theologyofwork.org/new-testament/pastoral-epistles/2-timothy-encouragement-for-a-faithful-worker/a-challenge-to-guard-your-tongue-2-timothy-214-26/
It's about guarding your tongue but also applies to writing and posting on forums.
I hope I don't sound holier-than -thou but I was,and still am a lover of idle chatter, and have been following a course of guarding my tongue for some years now. With a little success.
Originates from psalm 34, verse 31.

soontobe Fri 29-May-15 17:34:25

We all need to guard our tongues. I quite agree.
But as regards me answering posters' multiple questions, gransnet HQ dont have a problem.
But I take your point that me learning to stop posting eventually is a lesson I need to learn.

petallus Fri 29-May-15 18:40:42

TriciaF I read your link and found it very interesting and wise.

Regarding unhelpful, unkind and unnecessary words, soontobe wasn't the only one contributing those to this thread. Far from it in fact.

rosesarered Fri 29-May-15 18:46:44

The truth is out there.

rosesarered Fri 29-May-15 18:47:38

They just won't let us tell it! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 29-May-15 19:08:55

petallus just answer the individual posters you are referring to. I can take criticism, but I hate bloody paranoia. And Gransnet can be very paranoia inducing. hmm

Just give it straight between the eyes, or don't comment at all.

smile

Soutra Fri 29-May-15 21:33:00

Thank goodness I have been in London today and missed all this much ado about bugger all nothing.grin
It would never have occurred to me to start a thread all about myself hmm

Anya Fri 29-May-15 21:40:40

Really Soutra????? I seem to remember......

Ana Fri 29-May-15 21:42:11

grin

Galen Fri 29-May-15 21:59:27

soon2be
I thought you were stopping on this thread!