Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Gransnet has shrunk

(42 Posts)
Swanny Tue 08-Nov-16 10:22:32

Clicked onto GN this morning, on my laptop as usual, and it is only half the normal size. There's big empty gaps each side of the screen and everything is compressed into the middle. The type size is tiny. All other sites are normal size and I haven't been fiddling with settings or anything. If I click on the magnifier it goes as big as other magnified sites confused

Can anybody out there help please?

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 19:24:00

Nope, doesn't work, but thanks for trying to help, Wobbly!smile

Wobblybits Wed 09-Nov-16 19:28:50

I'm not giving up yet, but there is an easy way out that will work better than IE11. Download Google Chrome, it works faster than IE11 and IMO is much better.

www.google.co.uk/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html?brand=CHBD&gclid=CjwKEAiAr4vBBRCG36e415-_l1wSJAAatjJZb4PPBj7P2GjIDpzMnRwbKI8N5nw0vX_FJs3VnapjchoC3wrw_wcB

But I will see if any of my old PC's have IE11 on them and see if I can find a solution. There must be one.

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 19:32:42

I'm worried about downloading Chrome. Think I did years ago and can't remember why I didn't like it...

Wobblybits Wed 09-Nov-16 19:37:15

If you download it you can try it. You can still go Back to IE11.

Chrome is different and takes a while to get used to, but it works well and is much faster. Have you looked to see if you have any other browsers installed.

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 19:59:51

Thanks Wb,I had been unable to download Chrome since I went back to factory settings, but your link worked!

Now, I just need FlashPlayer smile

Wobblybits Wed 09-Nov-16 20:07:28

get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 20:10:12

If I use your link and download Chrome, Wobbly, will that automatically delete IE11?

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 20:10:59

Thanks Wb but I have tried that link about 10 times, the file saves but won't open to run and install.

Never mind, having a new pc for Christmas!!

Wobblybits Wed 09-Nov-16 20:53:05

OK, let's not worry about it then, there are comments online offering solutions.

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 20:54:03

I looked at them too, have given in, thank you anyway [wmile]

Jalima Wed 09-Nov-16 20:54:12

smile even

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 20:58:47

Oh dear...sad

Well, I'm very grateful for your efforts anyway, Wobbly smile

Wobblybits Wed 09-Nov-16 21:05:09

Ana, I was talking about flash player. I will continue with your problem. I need to hunt out my old laptop, but I ma struggling to get upstairs atm, I will try to remember to bring it down in the morning.

Ana Wed 09-Nov-16 21:08:44

No hurry Wobbly, my problem will still be here tomorrow!

I'll seriously consider downloading Chrome but won't do anything until I hear from you. Thanks again.

Wobblybits Wed 09-Nov-16 21:11:03

I wish I could see the problem in situ, most of these things are fairly simple.

Wobblybits Thu 10-Nov-16 08:34:58

Ana, Unfortunately, I do not have a system that I can load IE11 onto, all my PC's are either Windows10 or Windows XP and IE11 is not compatible.

You can try to reset IE11 to defaults :-

Reset Internet Explorer settings
Close all Internet Explorer windows. ...
Select the Advanced tab, and then select Reset.
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, select Reset.
When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, select Close, and then select OK.

If this does not work :-

It all depend how confident you are. The first thing I would try is to download Chrome and get it working so that you have a browser to fall back on. Then I would un-install IE11 then download a new copy and re-install it. When you go to the uninstall window, there may be an option to repair it.