Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Help us choose a winner - Churchill Awards

(39 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Oct-17 10:48:55

This year, once again, we are asking gransnetters to nominate a political figure for these awards. Your shortlist will be discussed by the judges (including Esther Rantzen, Lawrie McMenemy, Jacqueline Wilson (and me!)) and a winner announced at a ceremony early next year.

Ann Clwyd was chosen as the winner in 2014, Harriet Harman in 2015, and Baroness Sally Greengross in 2016. This year, once again, we would love to receive your nominations - ideally within the next couple of days.

The awards scheme - run by leading retirement developer, Churchill Retirement Living - is designed to honour the work of the UK’s over 65s and celebrates the significant role older people have to play in British society.

You can nominate anyone you like who has made a significant contribution in the political field (they absolutely don't have to be an MP). The two criteria to bear in mind are:

- Nominees must be 65 or over
- The awards recognise specific achievements made by individuals in the last 12 months

Looking forward to your nominations and suggestions - many thanks

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 10:52:12

Jeremy Corbyn, for increasing the number of Labour MPs against the odds, and providing a real alternative to May's government.

louli Mon 23-Oct-17 11:04:50

Donald Trump. Given the political turmoil in the UK over the last year or so, it is quite something to make me appreciate living in Britain even more than ever. I am grateful every day that I do not live in America

Riverwalk Mon 23-Oct-17 11:11:20

Based on the two criteria I too say Jeremy Corbyn.

mumofmadboys Mon 23-Oct-17 11:58:09

I agree Jeremy Corbyn. He has made youngsters interested in politics again.

pattypan Mon 23-Oct-17 12:04:03

Not an MP but I would like to nominate Floella Benjamin or to give her her full title Baroness Benjamin (she is a lib dem peer)

I have been impressed this year with the work she has done in part due to her role as vice president of Barnardo's but she also brought this important issue to the House of Lords. This is to do with the fact that children's visits to their parents generally fathers in prison are governed not by the needs of the child but by the behaviour of the inmate. I found this quote from her “It should be a child’s right to visit their dad in prison, not for a dad to earn the right to see their child.

“Children massively struggle with the distress and confusion of having their father taken away. To then stop them spending a few precious hours with their dad simply traumatises them even further.”

pattypan Mon 23-Oct-17 12:04:22

She is 68 by the way

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 12:13:06

Good heavens, pattypan, I never think of her as being that old. Same age as Corbyn.

bookworm55 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:19:32

Can I nominate Harriet Harman? I think she is 67. She is the longest serving female MP and I like the way she sticks to her guns and is not afraid to speak out about what she believes in. I may have to do a bit more digging about things she has specifically done this year aside from carrying on the good work but i do recall after the acquittal of Chet Evans she called for a ban on lawyers asking rape victims about sexual history which I thought was an important thing. I forget everything she said after the case but it made absolute sense and would take the idea that a woman is "virtuous" or "fallen" before proceedings even begin out of the equation and make trials for specific cases much more fair. I thin k she is a great role model

suzied Mon 23-Oct-17 12:20:10

Hilary Clinton - 1st woman to be democrat candidate for US president, she won the popular vote and stood up to a heap of nastiness along the way

pattypan Mon 23-Oct-17 12:20:51

I know durhamjen. If she is that old what does that make me? Clearly it is a longer time since my children were young and enjoying Playaway than I think grin

suzied Mon 23-Oct-17 12:21:10

Or do they have to be British?

pattypan Mon 23-Oct-17 12:21:21

Oh Suzie I will second that too

grannnn Mon 23-Oct-17 12:23:50

I thought Margaret Beckett was the longest serving female MP but I might be wrong.

bookworm55 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:25:12

I just checked. Harriet Harman is the longest-ever continuously-serving female MP in the House of Commons so I think the cotinuously part may have caused confusion

Ilovecheese Mon 23-Oct-17 12:47:52

Jeremy Corbyn for increasing the number of Labour MPs, and inspiring young people to take an interest in politics, increasing the membership the Labour party, and providing a real alternative to to the Conservative Party.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Oct-17 15:04:51

Just to clarify - they must be either British or working/have worked in Britain

mcem Mon 23-Oct-17 16:00:48

Does GNHQ have to take the most-named nominee as our choice or can GNHQ 'exercise discretion'? (Overrule the majority as we've recently seen happen).
If enough of us choose Corbyn that might ruffle a few feathers!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Oct-17 16:16:30

We present the judges with a short-list of the names on the thread and then they make the decision after discussing it further. So it's all down to whoever chooses to nominate here until the final judging session

lemongrove Mon 23-Oct-17 16:44:28

It may have to be Corbyn or Harman......who else is old enough? ?
It seems the previous winners were all women.

lemongrove Mon 23-Oct-17 16:46:06

I would like to nominate Sarah Champion....but she fails the age test.

Luckygirl Mon 23-Oct-17 16:52:42

Jeremy Corbyn - for all the reasons stated above.

midgey Mon 23-Oct-17 17:09:49

Lady Trumpington

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 17:25:00

Can't think of anyone of that age, previous winners have done much for women's causes , I can only think of women younger and I want to nominate a woman again.

lemongrove Mon 23-Oct-17 19:58:18

The Labour MP Sarah Champion ( late forties, fifty?) deserves an honour for her work in Rotheram, I cannot think of anyone who has done anything worthwhile in politics who fits all the criteria for the award.Why the age criteria anyway, just because it’s Gransnet?