Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Help us choose a winner - Churchill Awards

(40 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 23-Oct-17 10:48:55

This year, once again, we are asking gransnetters to nominate a political figure for these awards. Your shortlist will be discussed by the judges (including Esther Rantzen, Lawrie McMenemy, Jacqueline Wilson (and me!)) and a winner announced at a ceremony early next year.

Ann Clwyd was chosen as the winner in 2014, Harriet Harman in 2015, and Baroness Sally Greengross in 2016. This year, once again, we would love to receive your nominations - ideally within the next couple of days.

The awards scheme - run by leading retirement developer, Churchill Retirement Living - is designed to honour the work of the UK’s over 65s and celebrates the significant role older people have to play in British society.

You can nominate anyone you like who has made a significant contribution in the political field (they absolutely don't have to be an MP). The two criteria to bear in mind are:

- Nominees must be 65 or over
- The awards recognise specific achievements made by individuals in the last 12 months

Looking forward to your nominations and suggestions - many thanks

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 20:04:14

I agree Lemon, there is no one that age I admire

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 20:26:40

Michael Mansfield, for trying to keep Grenfell in the public eye, and standing up for survivors.

lemongrove Mon 23-Oct-17 20:28:30

Grenfell has never been out of the public eye.

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 20:35:06

Are we allowed several nominations ?

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 20:45:08

I nominate Joan Bakewell and Margaret Beckett.

Bakewell for being so active in her mid eighties Labour Party baroness and strong supporter of women's rights,

Margaret Beckett , longest serving PM, totally dedicated to the Labour Party , was first female foreign secretary and so loyal to the party, has accepted promotion, demotion, from different leaders and always with dignity, no whinging , party first

durhamjen Mon 23-Oct-17 20:51:33

What achievements in the last 12 months for either of them?

Anniebach Mon 23-Oct-17 20:52:30

Google them

Moocow Tue 24-Oct-17 10:55:59

Vince Cable the only sensible UK party leader at present who finally became Lib Dem Leader this year.

Anniebach Tue 24-Oct-17 11:29:20

But the vote isn't for a party leader Moocow, I agree with on Vince Cable though

durhamjen Tue 24-Oct-17 11:48:09

The problem is, Moocow, that he became leader by default, because nobody stood against him. May did that, too, and we know how that turned out.

I do like him, though. He was born in York like my eldest grandson.
I would vote for him if he hadn't privatised Royal Mail, and given export licences to sell arms to Saudi Arabia when he was in coalition. Probably a few other reasons, too, but those will do for now.

Still Corbyn for me.

Moocow Tue 24-Oct-17 13:34:45

It wasn't for a party leader but don't want to start a political discussion thread. If only for that reason then, that he hails from York! I was trying hard to throw another name into the pot. Won't go into politics here but thought another name was needed to help us think.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Oct-17 15:47:40

lemongrove no, the age criteria is nothing to do with the fact it's Gransnet. It comes from Churchill and is particularly relevant to what they do (retirement property) but it is also a chance to recognise the contribution that those over the official age of retirement continue to make in fields from literature to politics and beyond.

Many thanks for all your nominations - those that fit the bill on age/nationality will be sent over to the judging panel for their consideration very shortly

durhamjen Tue 24-Oct-17 15:55:52

Like I said, Moocow, I do like Vince Cable, and he has at least got some economic qualifications, PHD, I think.
Good for the age criterion, too, as he's the oldest elected party leader since Churchill, I think.

He should also be commended for trying to stop Murdoch taking over BSkyB, a cross party effort, this year.

durhamjen Tue 24-Oct-17 15:57:15

How can you nominate a political figure without going into politics? Just wondering.