Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Poll: Would you like the facility to change your own username?

(197 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Nov-17 11:40:21

www.gransnet.com/online-surveys-product-tests/would-you-like-to-be-able-to-change-your-username

Morning all!

Many of you will know that we don't allow members to change their usernames unless they really need to, unlike Mumsnet. However, following recent requests to change this, we'd like to know your thoughts.

Historically, we've taken this stance because we like members to be able to build relationships and confidence in knowing who they're talking to (as much as you can on an anonymous forum!). But we'd also like to find out how many of you are for or against a change - by way of this handy poll: www.gransnet.com/online-surveys-product-tests/would-you-like-to-be-able-to-change-your-username

Please pop over to the page and cast your vote, so we can see the lay of the land. Much appreciated! smile

kittylester Thu 02-Nov-17 11:45:26

No thank you.

gillybob Thu 02-Nov-17 11:46:47

I have voted but would have liked to have had further options.

I don't want to change my name. I have been gillybob since the beginning but now and again if there was a very sensitive subject that I was worried might be spread across facebook or whatever, I might want to be more anonymous.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Nov-17 11:53:17

Hi Gillybob

At the moment, if there is a sensitive subject you are more than welcome to email us and we can change it for you temporarily.

Though in the long-term it may be easier for you all to have the option to do so yourselves. That way everyone can decide for themselves if they want to keep their usernames constant and just change on the odd occasion. Or if they want to change more frequently.

gillybob Thu 02-Nov-17 11:55:08

Thanks for that Lara.

Would you be-able to make a temporary change (say for one particular subject ) and then change back ?

harrigran Thu 02-Nov-17 11:55:31

No, I would not like to change my name.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Nov-17 12:09:30

Yes, we can do that for you now.

Change your name for a particular post or subject if it's sensitive and then change it back for you. So for anyone else taking the poll, please bear that in mind.

If you want to do that just email contactus@ and we can make the change.

humptydumpty Thu 02-Nov-17 12:20:44

The thing is, those people who don't want to change their username wouldn't be affected one way or the other - if you don't want to change, don't!

Allowing members to change their username would mean it could be changed temporarily as long as members are allowed to change to a username already used - that would be a very important component of this change, IMO.

Willow500 Thu 02-Nov-17 12:39:20

No I wouldn't want to change mine but just wondered if you wanted to post something confidential (to your current name) couldn't you just set up a new user account under a different e-mail address? Not that that would work for me as all of mine have the same prefix anyway grin

POGS Thu 02-Nov-17 12:43:26

Am I being thick ?

I clicked on the link to vote but nothing came up that made sense.

I pressed no but it only highlighted the response percentages thus far.

POGS Thu 02-Nov-17 12:48:45

Question please Lucy

Am I correct in thinking you are considering posters can change their user name virtually willy nilly , even thread to thread , post to post.?

Could that happen under your new proposal.?

grannyactivist Thu 02-Nov-17 13:22:17

My family know who I am on GN and that's fine. However there are a few sensitive threads where I would have liked to be able to change my username to discuss particular issues under a nom de plume, but only if I could then go back to being grannyactivist.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Nov-17 13:23:17

Hi Pogs, yes, theoretically they would be able to. Though we imagine most wouldn't. And of course we'd be keeping an eye out for any sock-puppeting.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Nov-17 13:35:32

It would be MUCH nicer to have a private room that we could be assured wouldn’t go on Twitter or FB or Daily Fail pages then we could confidently be ourselves but know it wasn’t going to be plastered all over the place without our knowledge .....that is the abusive part

FarNorth Thu 02-Nov-17 13:37:04

POGS it looks like you're not thick, and that is all there is to the poll.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Nov-17 13:37:13

What the heck is sock puppeting ? Never heard that one before

FarNorth Thu 02-Nov-17 13:41:44

"Would you like to be able to change your user name?" is the title of the poll.

Someone who answers No to that question might nevertheless be happy for others to have that option, so it seems not to be a very useful poll.

FarNorth Thu 02-Nov-17 13:44:05

BlueBelle, I agree with you on the abuse, by GNHQ, of GNers' trust.

I think sock-puppeting is one person pretending to be two or more.

mcem Thu 02-Nov-17 13:47:59

I agree with BlueBelle. Much more useful idea.
I don't want my vote to block the wishes of anyone who feels strongly on way or the other.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Nov-17 13:56:20

I'd quite like to change mine but only because I'd pick something I like better. When I signed up to GN I had to think of a user name quickly off the top of my head and now I wish I'd made a better choice.

NotTooOld Thu 02-Nov-17 13:58:02

Just voted - looks fairly conclusive to me!

Bridgeit Thu 02-Nov-17 14:21:30

Sock puppeting!!! I am getting really old !

Bridgeit Thu 02-Nov-17 14:25:21

Plus I could never understand why we couldn't change our user name ourselves , so I think it's a good move by GNHQ

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Nov-17 14:27:05

Hi all,

Yes, by sock-puppeting we mean one person pretending to be two or more in order to stir up trouble.

In terms of more options, or a more in-depth poll, we may do that later on, but at the moment we're really just looking for a rough idea of people's inclination for themselves on this subject.

AbrileSmetschel Thu 02-Nov-17 14:58:43

yes