Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Poll: Would you like the facility to change your own username?

(198 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 02-Nov-17 11:40:21

www.gransnet.com/online-surveys-product-tests/would-you-like-to-be-able-to-change-your-username

Morning all!

Many of you will know that we don't allow members to change their usernames unless they really need to, unlike Mumsnet. However, following recent requests to change this, we'd like to know your thoughts.

Historically, we've taken this stance because we like members to be able to build relationships and confidence in knowing who they're talking to (as much as you can on an anonymous forum!). But we'd also like to find out how many of you are for or against a change - by way of this handy poll: www.gransnet.com/online-surveys-product-tests/would-you-like-to-be-able-to-change-your-username

Please pop over to the page and cast your vote, so we can see the lay of the land. Much appreciated! smile

Cherrytree59 Sun 19-Nov-17 21:38:01

GNHQ have you reached a verdict?
Will you be giving GN the same option as MN to change user name?

Cherrytree59 Sun 19-Nov-17 21:40:23

It seems that 82% would like the option of change of user name

MissAdventure Mon 20-Nov-17 23:03:36

Is something afoot?
I just had a float around my profile page, and saw something saying 'if you have a profile under a different username' or something like that. smile
Maybe its always been there?

humptydumpty Wed 22-Nov-17 11:55:06

GNHQ has anything been decided/done about this yet?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Nov-17 12:01:17

Our tech team is looking into what we hope is a good compromise. We'll let you know as soon as we know it can be done and when. smile

FarNorth Wed 22-Nov-17 12:01:37

Read the OP.
It doesn't say anything about actually making a change. They just want to know our thoughts so, job done!

FarNorth Wed 22-Nov-17 12:02:33

X posts.
Okay, surprise us with the compromise.

anitamp1 Sun 31-Dec-17 11:53:28

I would like to change my username. Didnt take timento think about it when i completed form. Didn't occur to me when i set it up that I might be recognisable by family. So perhaps giving us one chance, within a short period, of changing it once we've begun to use the site. I don't think people need to be constantly changing it.

Anniebach Sun 31-Dec-17 12:09:58

If posters can change their names at the click of a few keys several times a day it will mean bullying and bitching from a small number

Christinefrance Sun 31-Dec-17 12:52:21

I agree anitampl that's what I did too.
A chance to change would be helpful but don't think it should be done too often

humptydumpty Sun 31-Dec-17 12:53:00

GNHQ, it's been a while now, any progress on this?

Cherrytree59 Sun 31-Dec-17 15:57:55

What are you thoughts at GN HQ,
Has the name change option been put on the back burner?
Would be interested to know what the GN elves technical team have come up with.tchsmile

cornergran Sun 31-Dec-17 16:17:44

anitampl I did the same and asked HQ to change, giving my reason. They were very helpful so if you are concerned I would email them and explain.

Squiffy Sun 31-Dec-17 17:11:27

Why does GNHQ appear to think that GNetters are likely to have sock puppets, but not MNetters? Or have I missed the point? (Wouldn’t be the first time!)

Gin Sun 31-Dec-17 18:17:13

Because one chooses ones name when new to Gransnet, it was to me an unknown world and perhaps a more suitable name would have been chosen

Squiffy Sun 31-Dec-17 18:28:50

Gin Because one chooses ones name when new to Gransnet

If that was in reply to my post, then I'm still none the wiser! MNetters also have to choose a name when they are new, so surely the same applies to them? tchconfused

FarNorth Thu 25-Jan-18 17:02:53

Yoohoo, GN.
Those in favour of name changing, at will, as on Mumsnet, are 82%.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Jan-18 17:14:52

Thanks FarNorth wink
Tech are working on it but it's not a quick fix. Hope to have an update soon.

FarNorth Thu 25-Jan-18 17:19:20

smile

Cherrytree59 Thu 25-Jan-18 17:33:16

Lara The techies are obviously not getting enough brew andcupcake
They have been working on it since 22.11.17 12:01

? does this count as like??

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Jan-18 17:37:41

Personally I think it might be too much of the Christmas festivities that got in the way grin. We'll round up the mouldy mince pies to tempt them with and see if we can get an update sooner rather than later. And apologies - we know it's been a while.

POGS Thu 25-Jan-18 18:40:00

So am I correct in thinking Gransnet has decided to allow posters to name change at will without notifying GNHQ Laura.?