Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Can't be arsed to read it all acronym and green highlighting please, oh Great Ones

(36 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Baggs Thu 28-Dec-17 20:14:36

Please could you check out this thread. We're putting in a bid for a new acronym and for the green highlighting of opening poster's subsequent posts on that thread, IYSWIM.

kittylester Thu 28-Dec-17 21:13:21

Well done baggs.

Crafting Thu 28-Dec-17 21:53:06

Well baggs I clicked on your "this thread" link above and it took me to the thread about acronyms.
I read the page but I was completely stumped by what CARE meant and how come everyone else knew except me.
I was just about to pose the question when I realised your link above had taken me directly to page 2of 2 and the reason I didn't know what CARE was is because it was posted on page 1.

I suppose that's what happens when you CBATRTWT grin

Baggs Fri 29-Dec-17 15:01:54

Certainly one of the possible things, crafting grin

Lona Fri 29-Dec-17 15:06:35

grin
I second Baggs

FarNorth Thu 25-Jan-18 16:59:49

Green highlighting of all posts in a thread from the OP would be very useful.
It's a function Mumsnet has so should be easy to carry over.

M0nica Thu 25-Jan-18 17:53:51

I do not even understand this thread, let alone any of the acronyms.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 26-Jan-18 17:11:35

I definitely support the highlighting thing. ?

Farmor15 Fri 26-Jan-18 17:20:42

Me too - the highlighting of posts from OP.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jan-18 17:38:28

I had to read through the wholethread to get back to page one Monica when CARE was suggested meaning Can’t be arsed to read everything Personally I think that’s pretty destructive sentence and anyway I hate acronyms a real pet hate of mine as I have a brain that needs to translate all the time especially when we get things like sil meaning sister in law or son in law so you have to read it all again to make sense of it then all this darling or dear business gets on my txxx Why people can’t just write words I ll never understand Either lazy or trying to be cool

Bathsheba Fri 26-Jan-18 18:49:09

Either lazy or trying to be cool

No, not lazy BlueBelle - I can touch type and if I use my laptop it's not a problem to type granddaughter / father-in-law etc in full. But if I'm using my mobile phone, it's a different matter entirely and I'm very grateful to be able to key in GD or FiL. Remember, there are some people who only access Gransnet by phone, and the abbreviations must be very welcome to them smile

Smithy Fri 26-Jan-18 18:58:14

Bluebelle, have to agree with all your points. The only time I'd use an acronym would be if it was too explicit to write out, you know which ones I mean. I too hate this DGc Ddil etc.

Christinefrance Fri 26-Jan-18 20:30:54

Me too BlueBelle and I don't understand why using a phone makes it harder

BlueBelle Fri 26-Jan-18 20:36:40

I use a phone or my iPad and don’t find it any different to write father in Law to fil I knew what I said wouldn’t be popular but it’s nice to know at least two people feel frustrated by it as well as me

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 26-Jan-18 21:32:41

Hi everyone. Sorry for not replying sooner. We'll certainly discuss this next week. Enjoy your weekends!

chelseababy Mon 16-Apr-18 15:55:22

Hi HQ are the OPs posts going to "go green" - was this discussed and if so what was the outcome?

BlueBelle Mon 16-Apr-18 16:12:55

I ve still no idea what any of this is about as the OP posts have always been green ??? for me

hildajenniJ Mon 16-Apr-18 16:24:56

Here too BlueBelle No joy with the new acronym yet then.

humptydumpty Mon 16-Apr-18 16:28:00

I don't see OP posts highlighted in green except for the original post - it would be great to see later contributions also highlighted ingreen.

If some posters can already see this, it can't be too much of a problem to extend to all devices (I'm using a PC) I suppose?

chelseababy Mon 16-Apr-18 17:44:47

Yes the original post is green but not if the OP adds to the thread later

Cherrytree59 Mon 16-Apr-18 20:15:48

I agree highlighting in green all further comments made by the OP would be helpful.
(As on MN)

Farmor15 Mon 23-Apr-18 20:22:31

Just used my phone to look at Gransnet and discovered that later posts by OP are now highlighted in green, but same ones are not highlighted on iPad. Haven’t checked laptop, but hope this will be extended to all devices Gransnet can be viewed on.
Maybe some others will check and confirm that what I’m seeing isn’t just a fluke.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Apr-18 20:38:38

Not on my iPad or my phone still just the original post in green

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Apr-18 09:52:36

The highlighting thing is something we are looking at. Bear with us.

In terms of acronyms - we can add one to the list if it works for everyone.

This is what people tend to use on MN

'haven’t RTFT but...’

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Apr-18 09:53:34

HQ posts should all come up in blue