Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Your favourite brands

(109 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Feb-18 17:57:09

We are constantly looking at the way we work with brands and thought it might be useful to ask which ones you like best, why, and what you would tell them they were doing right/wrong if you had the chance. We would also love to know about any products you particularly like from your favourite brands too

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 20-Feb-18 17:58:31

I'm happy to kick things off by nominating Lakeland. I can pore over their catalogues for hours on end. I have a set of magnetic measuring spoons that I bought from them years ago and they are still the most useful things I have in my kitchen. And I am a sucker for bakeware

NanaandGrampy Tue 20-Feb-18 18:13:19

Oh I love Lakeland !! It’s full of gizmos and gadgets I didn’t even know I needed Cari ! One of my favourite brands is First Direct!

But of an odd choice I know but I’ve been with them for nearly 20 years and they are the best bank I’ve ever been with by miles !

Nanabilly Tue 20-Feb-18 18:18:48

I love NEXT clothing but not their shoes. Sandals are ok but shoes always tear my feet to shreds until they are broken in . Clothes are on trend , of course and well made using nice fabrics . My only criticism of clothes is the sleeves are very slim so I have to be careful what style I order.

janeainsworth Tue 20-Feb-18 18:20:58

Yeo Valley full-fat Greek yoghurt.
I feel deprived if I can’t have it for breakfast.

My Miele C3 vacuum cleaner, the best I’ve ever had.

Moocow Tue 20-Feb-18 18:23:12

No one really beats Lakeland though do they? Maybe John Lewis match them, almost. Will return if I think of an alternative to throw into the mix.

Rosieroe Tue 20-Feb-18 18:23:56

Lurpak spreadable. From time to time I try alternatives, but nothing comes close.

Pittcity Tue 20-Feb-18 18:34:57

I am a recent convert to Aldi, especially the beauty and laundry products.

Marydoll Tue 20-Feb-18 18:45:33

I love Lidl. I get so much more for my money and their jams are the best.

kittylester Tue 20-Feb-18 18:49:06

Another for Lakeland! I also love Seasalt, Joules, Moshulu, Sainsbury's, John Lewis, Waitrose, Napoleon, Schar and Thornton's. I'll be back no doubt!

lemongrove Tue 20-Feb-18 21:03:20

Lakeland toaster bags and silicone muffin cases.
Thorntons brazil nut toffee
Sainsburys own brand soups, especially broccoli and stilton.
Original Source shower gels, especially the orange and the lime scents.
Hotter shoes, sandals and boots ( all of them!)
Chanel number 5 parfum

phoenix Tue 20-Feb-18 21:35:43

Check out the fruit content of the jam in Lidl, hard to beat, same as the (I think Kania?) brand of tomato ketchup they sell. Heinz is usually alongside it, but the Kania contains far more actual tomato per Gramm.

Lidl ribeye steak, around £5.45 for 2, never had a duff one and we have it most weeks.

On cleaning products, Dettol Mould & Mildew spray does a great job on dingy grout in the bathroom.

merlotgran Tue 20-Feb-18 23:35:00

Schweppes! grin

Chewbacca Tue 20-Feb-18 23:46:13

I do 99% of my food and household shopping in Aldi and I'm 100% satisfied with the quality and prices of their products. Most of my kitchen items are from there too including pots and pans, glassware, kitchen scales, slow cooker etc. Even the GC's school uniforms are from Aldi and the quality is easily, if not better, than from M &S. Every week I grab their newsletter to see what the next week's Special Buys are and to checkout their recipes which are always good.

hildajenniJ Tue 20-Feb-18 23:56:55

My poor bunions love Sketchers shoes, particularly the air cooled memory foam styles. It's like walking on clouds. Also my Dyson V6, makes the stairs and curtain rails so easy to dust.

gmelon Wed 21-Feb-18 00:54:04

Cereals just have to be Kellogs always.
Unless it's nutty muesli then Dorset Cereals.
Pilgrims Choice extra mature cheddar.
Heinz soup.
Princes salmon.
Marks and Spencer dine in for two.
The Co-Op.
Ariel and Comfort.
Flash , most of the range.
Domestos , The Big One , bleach.
Diet Pepsi, Normal Pepsi.
Robinsons squash.
Yorkshire tea bags.

gmelon Wed 21-Feb-18 00:58:23

I love Lakeland, but then again I love the pound shop too.
Found some Jane Asher bakeware and utensils in the pound shop. Very nice.

Cadburys Chocolate, any of it, by the barrowload please.
Lindt Dort
Thortons original toffee and that sugary tablet stuff they sell.
Toffifee
Black Magic for a box of chocolates.
Andrex.

Willow500 Wed 21-Feb-18 08:21:43

Coffee has to be the Tassimo XL5 which I dilute with a little water or instant Kenco Millicano - they're the only ones which taste vaguely like coffee to me. I used to have R Whites lemonade lollies every day due to the texture but they've changed the recipe (and shape) and ruined them so now on Tesco's finest orange ones. Don't think we stick to any other brands really although cat litter has to be the Worlds best as it's flushable smile

Christinefrance Wed 21-Feb-18 08:42:27

Living in France I miss M & S meal deals and like others Lakeland, Next and Thorntons chocolate are favourites.

Teetime Wed 21-Feb-18 09:03:20

Yes definitely Lakeland although they can be pricey.
Kelloggs
Twinings
Persil
Fairy Liquid and Power spray
Domestos
Heinz
Baxters
Haagen Daaz
Taylors (coffee)
Sainsbury
Lurpak
Green and Black
Lindt
Clarins
Clinique
Dior
Chanel
Liz Earle

I could go on. grin

Teetime Wed 21-Feb-18 09:04:43

Mustn't forget Gordons and Schweppes although Silent pool is in the running too.

michellehargreaves Wed 21-Feb-18 10:03:23

Lidl for ever.

loopyloo Wed 21-Feb-18 10:05:34

I am always trying to save by trying cheaper brands but stick to Persil non bio, PG tips , Fairy liquid. Taylor's coffee.

wildswan16 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:06:04

Hotter - their shoes may not be the best for strutting down a red carpet,, but they are soooooo comfy.

Cadbury Dairy Milk
and
Heinz tomato soup

Missfoodlove Wed 21-Feb-18 10:08:45

I am rarely “ brand loyal” and flit from different brands depending on promotions and price, however five years ago I started using Bare Minerals cosmetics and will not buy any other brand, their foundations, bronzers and lipsticks are the best I have ever used, as the products go a long way they are good value.
As far as High street shopping is concerned I love TKMAXX, I have had some outstanding buys from there, it is always my first port of call if I’m looking for clothing and homewares.
At the luxury end I adore Diptique and Penhaligons candles and scents but these are usually presents or an annual treat!