Gransnet forums

Site stuff

St Andrews Day

(90 Posts)
annodomini Sat 24-Nov-18 15:52:23

30th November is St Andrew's Day. Every year we have emojis for the other patron saints' days - a rose, a leek, a shamrock; but every year I find there is no thistle for us Scots and I post about it on this site, asking for recognition for the many Scots who are members of Gransnet. Please, this year, find us a thistle!

Marydoll Thu 29-Nov-18 15:55:35

I'm surprised GNHQ have not taken our motto to heart. wink.
The clock is ticking.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 16:14:51

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scottish-thistle
A pattern for a Scottish thistle - sorry it is crochet Feelingmyage; I would make you one but I have never been able to crochet.
It looks quite easy, though, for those who can.

RachellaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 29-Nov-18 16:17:50

We're also keen to get a thistle emoji for you! tearing our hair out Waiting patiently for our design team to get knitting.

mcem Thu 29-Nov-18 16:33:30

My sister knitted this and I 'll ask about pattern. Too late for this year !
I think GN will also be too late despite requests made years a week ago!

Feelingmyage55 Thu 29-Nov-18 18:40:06

jalima1108. Thank you. I can do some crochet. I can also change this so I can knit it so thank you and if you see someone in a hat with a knitted thistle it will be me.

varian Thu 29-Nov-18 19:21:01

Well done to your sister mcem

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 19:42:06

You could fill every posts with a thistle picture tomorrow!

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 19:48:16

Why does it need to be knitted? Can't we draw a thistle?

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 19:50:44

Cari said that the tech guys were trying to knit one for you Grammaretto

Who am I to argue?

(she didn't mention how fumble fisted they are, knit one drop one)

Cherrytree59 Thu 29-Nov-18 20:50:11

3hrs 10 minutes....grin

Grammaretto Thu 29-Nov-18 21:26:25

Ah Jalima, mustn't seem ungrateful. I shall be so busy boiling haggises tomorrow and peeling neeps and tatties I will hardly have time to take my pinny off and change into my plaid and pin my knitted thistle in position before the pipes start up.
Have a happy St Andrew's day all you Scots out there. I'm off to bed.

Jalima1108 Thu 29-Nov-18 23:23:52

I would stay up all night and knit you one Grammaretto but the post being like it is, it would never reach you in time ….
wink

mcem Fri 30-Nov-18 07:44:46

Feeling let down by GN. DGC have a holiday from school so hope to join them today.
This is for anyone who cares!

Pittcity Fri 30-Nov-18 07:55:02

???????is the only appropriate emoji on my phone (there is a shamrock and a maple leaf)
So I wish you Happy St Andrew's Day with a ?

NanKate Fri 30-Nov-18 07:56:18

There is a bit of Scottish ancestry in me as well being in St Andrew’s House at school. So after breakfast I shall pop a couple of swords on the grass and do a bit of nifty dancing. I think I can here some bagpipes. ?

gillybob Fri 30-Nov-18 08:01:33

Happy St Andrews Day to all Scottish grans .

Elegran Fri 30-Nov-18 08:21:06

Happy St Andrews Day. Google has dancing thistles!

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-18 08:41:19

Where's our thistle?
Happy St Andrew's Day to all Scots grans - especially to my fellow St Andreans.

Alima Fri 30-Nov-18 08:47:39

DH is Scots. “What day is it today” says I to ‘im. “Friday” says he.

Anniebach Fri 30-Nov-18 09:04:55

Happy Saint Andrews Day x

MawBroon Fri 30-Nov-18 09:12:13

Happy St Andrews Day and especially to all St Andreans
“ Gaudeamus igitur”

Happy memories of where I met my darling Paw 52 years ago.

Cherrytree59 Fri 30-Nov-18 09:20:10

Happy St Andrews Day.

HQ hang your head in shame. sad

paddyann Fri 30-Nov-18 10:41:58

Varian dont know what part of Scotland you grew up in but St Andrews day was never a holiday where I am.In fact there has been an ongoing campaign to make it a holiday for the past 20 years ,since the surge in the Independence movement.JANE10 The SNP didn't monopolise the Saltire ,they are the NATIONAL party of Scotland why would they not use the Scottish flag? The SNP symbol isn;t the Saltire BUT the Independence movement does use it and of course any other political persuasion is free to use it.Sadly many unionist (British /Scots) prefer to wave the Union Flag and have been seen on may occassions to BURN the Saltire .There is evidence of this on line .Happy St Andrews Day to my Greek and Russian friends who we share him with as well as my Scottish friends worldwide .

Agus Fri 30-Nov-18 10:58:42

???????????????????????????? Happy St Andrews Day ????????????????????????????

Poor show GNHQ despite repeated requests, the same excuse is trotted out every year?

Don’t even contemplate the offer of the ridiculous ‘ Jimmy’ ?

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-18 11:03:27

paddyann, I agree. Even when I was a student in St Andrews, the university didn't recognise the day as a holiday although that has changed since I was there 60 years ago. And it wasn't a national holiday either. I think it's still the case that different cities or local authorities have different holidays in Scotland. Edinburgh might have one while Glasgow doesn't. I remember the Glasgow Fair fortnight in July just after the schools closed, and we drove over from Ayrshire to Fife to stay with Granny while it seemed that Glasgow decamped to the Firth of Clyde - doon the watter.