Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Starting a profile page

(70 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

BradfordLass72 Fri 18-Jan-19 06:31:49

My welcome email aid I could have my own personal page and upload photos for people to see.. I know how to upload photos when I make a comment on the Forum but have been unable to find anything, even in Setting where I could start a profile page.
Any advice and links would be welcome. Thanks thanks

Alima Fri 18-Jan-19 08:10:29

Hi, sorry couldn’t remember so I looked in Frequently asked questions, near the top of the page, the info is in there. Many more GNers used to have a profile, photo and info. Many then removed them when there was a possibility of being made known on say FB or via D Mail! Go careful, welcome!

Pittcity Fri 18-Jan-19 09:00:23

I think that the profile pages were curtailed when the new privacy laws came in. The reference hasn't been changed on the welcome email.
I'm sure GNHQ will be along soon to clarify.

Jasmine111111 Fri 18-Jan-19 11:22:59

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 18-Jan-19 11:57:04

With the new GDPR rules that came into effect last year, we no longer have profile pages for members on the site anymore.

Please can you email us on [email protected] to let us know where you read this so we can correct it? Thanks smile

kittylester Fri 18-Jan-19 12:16:47

Is there no way we could have some basic info on profile pages?

callgirl1 Sat 19-Jan-19 01:03:37

I really miss the profiles, I loved reading up on people and perhaps seeing what they looked like.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 07:20:18

I don’t know why anyone would want a profile page, especially with pictures when Gransnet share it all with Twitter and Facebook. I think there are people still unaware that they can post a personal problem on Gransnet and it gets tweeted and people can be commenting on Twitter- remarks the original poster may never see.
I don’t bother logging into Gransnet unless I see a link on Twitter that looks interesting.
Gransnet didn’t change their policy of sharing everything with social media so it is good that they at least protected people by not letting them post identifying material.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 07:25:59

I came across today because MissAdventure and her babysitting problem was on Twitter. Would she really want people then coming on to log onto her profile page and see pictures of herself and her grandson, her age, hobbies etc?

BradfordLass72 Sat 19-Jan-19 08:05:20

You've just shocked and educated me about posts here being shared on social media sites. That's dreadful. No profile page for me then and I'll be very careful from now on exactly what I post. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

NfkDumpling Sat 19-Jan-19 08:20:53

It would be useful to know roughly where in the world people are - nearest city for example, much as is on Facebook.

It’s lovely on the Good Morning thread to see what the weather is like in other places, Marydoll deep in snow while Rufus is sweltering in the heat, and I think someone is in Malta, but I don’t remember who!

Maggiemaybe Sat 19-Jan-19 09:17:32

I liked the profiles, which were of course entirely voluntary. Most of them just contained a vague idea of where we lived, our family set up without names, and our interests. Nothing too personal, though some did choose to share more.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 14:39:23

I think that quite a lot took them off when they realised that they could be seen on social media.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Jan-19 14:42:52

sad well, that's my own fault I suppose.
I'm giving up posting anything but bland answers to boring questions from now on.
Again, my own fault because I did know stuff is lifted and put elsewhere.

A forum which is closed, for more personal stuff would be lovely.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 14:45:41

A lot of people on here are quick to point out they do not do Facebook and yet, with a quick look, the latest is that 34 of you told Facebook users your favourite places to curl up this time of year. No harm is done if you are anonymous, ( except that some of you are completely unaware of it) but I wouldn’t want people clicking on a profile to find out more about me.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 14:55:01

Gransnet is fine but you need to realise that it is a social media site and one where you have less control than some others. On Facebook I stick to a small number of real friends. On Twitter I can block followers that I don’t like- I could even have protected tweets where I only admit followers that I have vetted- if I wished. On Gransnet you have no control as to where it ends up e.g with the Daily Mail and I bet that it is read by many people who never post anything themselves. For that reason I think it very unwise to start posting personal details about yourself - however bland.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Jan-19 15:40:48

Well, I have asked gransnet to delete my thread, and been informed that they won't, as I have lots of helpful suggestion on it.
I wonder what is happening on Twitter with it.
I wont know, as I don't use bloody Twitter!

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 16:16:15

You are OK- nothing happened on Twitter. I think the intention is to grow their numbers on Gransnet and that you will follow the link. There is however nothing to stop people starting a conversation on Twitter and not coming across.
I only mention it because people who think they wouldn’t touch social media with a barge pole don’t seem to realise that Gransnet is social media! It isn’t a cosy little club where you want to put hobbies and photos etc.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Jan-19 16:19:09

Thank you.
Its a reminder (to me too) to be careful what you share.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 16:21:52

I have had a look for you and the thread didn’t get any replies, ‘likes’ or retweets and is unlikely to be noticed now. I will try and do a link for people to see Gransnet Twitter account.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 16:27:14

If you look here you can see the Gransnet Twitter account and scroll down. You will see that they have over 21 thousand followers.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Jan-19 16:28:06

Lovely.. I really need my depression being shared with all those people.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 16:33:37

This is their account on Facebook here
I never look at it from there but scrolling down just now I see that people are far more likely to comment or share it so their friends can see it.
Maybe people don't mind but I am putting links because I think many of you are completely unaware.

Blencathra Sat 19-Jan-19 16:38:31

Sorry MissAdventure -I just picked you because I thought it was one that was not appropriate to share -it wasn't quite like a recipe suggestion for cold weather. It is best that you know.
In view of that it isn't wise to have a personal page in my opinion.
Mumsnet do the same -or at least I assume they still do, not having looked for ages.
Both are social media sites and they want to grow members-having accounts elsewhere is advertising for them.

MissAdventure Sat 19-Jan-19 16:43:24

Thank you, I'm glad you reminded me.
I too think its inappropriate, but apparently not.
Its also very insensitive not to delete the thread from here, but well...