Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Gransnet users

(27 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 19-Feb-19 10:16:33

We are often approached by the media who want to talk to people who use Gransnet wanting to find out how you use the site, what value it brings to your life etc. We'd love to have a number of regular Gransnet users to call on. If you feel that Gransnet has been useful to you and you might feel comfortable talking to someone in the media about it, please email us at [email protected] so that we can make a note and call on you if we get a request again. Registering your interest doesn't mean you are obliged to take part in anything of course, but it would be great to know who might be willing. Thanks smile

Teetime Tue 19-Feb-19 14:28:07

I have been on Radio several times for Gransnet but I dont feel I want to do that anymore - its not like it used to be.

Auntieflo Tue 19-Feb-19 19:46:28

I also feel like Teetime.
I would be concerned that anything I said could be taken out of context, or twisted to suit their programme. The thought of the dreaded Facebook, Twitter etc, looms and things that we have posted, have been hi-jacked and broadcast far and wide, with no thought to how we may feel. Sorry No.

Fennel Tue 19-Feb-19 20:22:35

No thanks - I don't trust any of the 'media'.
Most of it owned or influenced by rightwingers.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Feb-19 21:02:08

I echo the other posters

mcem Tue 19-Feb-19 21:12:08

There's something lacking these days on GN. The deleting of so many profiles should have acted as a warning that the whole FB /twitter/ msm revelations destroyed an element of the original GN.
I believe any media interviews would reveal that.
Is that what you want?
Maybe you need newcomers who won't make comparisons!

RosieLeah Wed 20-Feb-19 05:56:06

I know how the media are always looking for sensation. If I were to give my real reasons for being on this site, I'm sure I'd be branded some sort of weirdo..because I'm a loner and the media dislikes loners.

harrigran Wed 20-Feb-19 09:22:38

I don't trust the media, it would be a no from me too.

Charleygirl5 Wed 20-Feb-19 09:28:18

I also would not like my words twisted or taken out of context so sorry, a no from me also.

B9exchange Wed 20-Feb-19 09:37:00

Perhaps quite a few of us are on this site because we can post anonymously and therefore be honest. Why would we want to give that anonymity away to the media?

henetha Wed 20-Feb-19 10:04:17

Same here. I'm very careful not to post anything really personal on here, not because I don't trust GN, but because I don't want the media in general to get hold of it.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 20-Feb-19 10:18:42

That's absolutely fine and we understand it's not for everyone. For what it's worth, here are just a few examples of the kinds of things we're sometimes asked: The press often want to speak to grandparents who provide childcare for instance, or who became grandparents when they never thought they would, or want to talk to users about how a site like Gransnet can help those who are lonely. It's not necessarily all negative but we appreciate the concerns of those who would rather not be involved. For those who have emailed us directly, thank you. flowers

BlueBelle Wed 20-Feb-19 17:59:42

Still a no from me the media have ruined the country in my opinion .. count me out

Opal Wed 20-Feb-19 18:17:53

The responses on here speak volumes don't they? No-one trusts the media or social media anymore. In particular I think social media can be evil in the wrong hands.

mcem Thu 21-Feb-19 08:35:32

Also don't like the idea of being a readily-available pool of opinions to be used to obtain sound-bites for msm. Another income stream for GN?
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who actually likes the idea.
If a self-selected few are seen to be representative of grandparenthood I 'd find that disturbing too.
Are you one who is happy to take on the role ? I'd love to know why.

M0nica Thu 21-Feb-19 21:45:11

My views are usually so at odds with everyone else's, I would not be a fair representative of the generic GN member anyway.

Harris27 Fri 22-Feb-19 07:39:43

I think it's sad that we all feel like that gransnet has helped me feel I'm not alone at times when I thought I was. Especially with family problems too personal to air with friends. I am a very private person so this has helped me a lot.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Feb-19 08:15:40

Harris as a very private person are you aware that your posts can be shared on Twitter, Facebook and even the dreaded Daily Fail Your privacy is not tpreally private and this is what Gransnetters are so concerned about

GabriellaG54 Wed 27-Feb-19 22:27:57

I'm out too. ?

Iam64 Thu 28-Feb-19 15:54:42

MOnica - maybe I’m at odds as well but I haven’t found you at odds, even if we haven’t been agreeing
Carrie - I share the comments above. I’ve no desire to be exploited, misquoted or humiliated by the media. Shocking isn’t it that a group of grannies feel so mistrustful, there must be reasons for that

Lazigirl Fri 01-Mar-19 09:57:05

I understand that GN has to make this site pay, I would honestly rather pay a subscription, but I share the misgivings already stated.

Harris27 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:06:42

No bluebells I didn't. Thanks for informing about this I will think twice as I type and respond now.

Harris27 Sun 03-Mar-19 11:07:57

I think I also would pay a fee to keep us exclusive now Ive thought about it.

POGS Sun 03-Mar-19 14:31:13

Lara /Justine

I think Mumsnet / Gransnet is more than capable of telling the media what we think without posters doing so .

I was a bit upset to watch Justine on Daily Politics on the 26th of February talking about Mumsnet posters and how they feel about Brext and a Mumsnet survey on Parental Leave .

Justine on Brexit you said " Mumsnet users on the whole
would rather it went back to the people " I wonder how Mumsnet /Gransnet users think about being their views being used in the media ?

PamelaJ1 Sun 03-Mar-19 18:07:57

I suppose Justine made her judgement on the posts that the remainers make.
Did it not occur to her that we brexiteers tend to keep a very low profile?