Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Deletions

(46 Posts)
mcem Tue 02-Apr-19 08:45:40

This is not a thread about a thread. I'm not referring to content at all.
I simply want to know when/if GNHQ agrees to delete a post at the request of the OP because "it isn't nice".
Don't think I've seen this before and am genuinely curious. Is it simply the case that OP has reported the post as offensive, GNHQ agrees and deletes it?

NanaandGrampy Tue 02-Apr-19 08:48:27

I wonder when opinion , frankly given but not fitting an OPs desire for coddling can be deemed as ‘not nice’ ?

It seems to me that we now live in a world where you cannot voice an opinion .

aggie Tue 02-Apr-19 08:56:06

wrong generation to try and shut up grrrrrrrrrr

sodapop Tue 02-Apr-19 09:00:19

Or simply the poster has decided they are not happy with what they have written and regret pressing 'post '.
I do agree N & G that if one's opinion does not coincide with current thinking or some other posters disagree then it's decried.

kittylester Tue 02-Apr-19 09:07:33

sodapop, there has been a recent thread where a post was deleted by the OP not the poster. That is wrong in my view. By all means report a post but then HQ should make the decision. We'd get half empty threads otherwise.

Grannybags Tue 02-Apr-19 09:42:51

It seems that anyone who suggests a thread is a wind up gets deleted.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-19 09:48:36

We have very few rules, but troll-hunting is one - if you suspect a post is not genuine please do report it to us but don't voice your suspicions on the thread. There have been times when this has happened and the OP (or poster) is absolutely genuine. Just hit report and we can take a look.

In answer to other questions - personal attacks get deleted. There is occasion when a post might not be a personal attack per se, but if it's particularly nasty it may be taken down nonetheless.

And if a poster has written something that they subsequently realise may (for example) have given away identifying information then we can withdraw that particular post. HTH.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Apr-19 09:49:16

I asked for one of my posts to be deleted, as the post I referred to had been deleted, as it was against "guidelines".

My post wasn't deleted and I found it strange as I had quoted the deleted posted word for word!!!!

kittylester Tue 02-Apr-19 09:51:55

I just have because I might have caused distress to the OP.

What about all the distress caused by the OP on the thread in question to people imagining the distressed dog.

Sorry, mcem, I will have caused your thread to be deleted now. Which just shows the idiocy of this particular ruling. *anja's' post was deleted by the OP but those of us warning that the thread is stirring it get deleted.

Signed

Disgusted of gn.

kittylester Tue 02-Apr-19 09:54:41

It seems to me that GM would rather take the side of people posting with malicious intent than people who have been members long enough to be able to smell a rat. I am really not happy.

kittylester Tue 02-Apr-19 09:55:31

I did report the thread in question!

Oldwoman70 Tue 02-Apr-19 09:56:26

It seems posts/threads are being deleted more and more - yes threads do get a bit heated but are we not all adults well able to deal with it. Of course if something truly offensive is posted then I think we all agree it should be deleted it is the arbitrary use of deletions that I think most of us object to. I have seen posts which question a persons intelligence and others which practically call another poster a liar - yet those remain

mcem Tue 02-Apr-19 10:14:46

sodapop I agree that if someone regrets a post and asks to have it deleted that's standard practice. I'm just wondering if the original poster can say that another poster's reply is "not nice" and have it deleted. That would be the thin edge of the wedge.

However it may be that GN agreed the deleted post broke guidelines and so pulled it.
That was possibly the case but I think we'd all agree that "not nice" isn't a good enough reason.

maryeliza54 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:21:07

I can’t believe for a moment that an OP can have a post deleted. They can ask of course but HQ will then decide wrt the guidelines ( not that there’s always consistency in how they’re interpreted but that’s guidelines isn’t it)

Oldwoman70 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:22:08

Can I also say I don't see the problem with having a little fun when a post is obviously made up!

maryeliza54 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:24:43

Well old the problem is the word ‘obviously’ and there is a danger in getting it wrong

maryeliza54 Tue 02-Apr-19 10:25:13

And that has happened

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-19 10:37:35

kittylester

It seems to me that GM would rather take the side of people posting with malicious intent than people who have been members long enough to be able to smell a rat. I am really not happy.

Not the case at all. And we look at every report very carefully and independently of other reports. Absolutely, there have been a number of posts which have turned out not to be genuine. But there are others, where people have speculated, which have been fine.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 02-Apr-19 10:38:17

maryeliza54

Well old the problem is the word ‘obviously’ and there is a danger in getting it wrong

Exactly this.

maryeliza54 Tue 02-Apr-19 14:13:09

Hi HQ - is it fair to delete a thread because of the volume of deleted posts on it because the OP was thought to be a troll? Isn’t that pandering to self styled troll hunters who have made their mind up someone is a troll and then pile in on the thread, get deleted in droves and so achieve their objective? Just wondered how the OP felt about that?

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 15:26:58

There is a definite awkward squad on GN these days. grin wink

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 15:29:34

shock I put a really good reply on that doggy thread and now it's gone forever! What if the OP missed my beautifully formed words of wisdom?!!!

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 15:30:25

And that was no troll. Our dog was the same. hmm

Gonegirl Tue 02-Apr-19 15:30:46

I'm gonna shut up now.

toscalily Tue 02-Apr-19 15:33:43

Been out shopping, come back and its gone grin, as expected.