Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Churchill Awards 2019 - help us choose a winner

(38 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Sep-19 14:01:05

It's that time of year, and once again we're asking gransnetters to nominate a political figure for these awards. Your shortlist will be discussed by the judges (led by Esther Rantzen) and a winner announced at a ceremony early next year.

Last year our winner was Dame Margaret Hodge (and previous winners include Joan Bakewell, Ann Clwyd, Harriet Harman, and Baroness Sally Greengross).

This year, once again, we would love to receive your nominations. Note that nominees absolutely don't have to be MPs - they can be involved in politics at any level. It's been an, um, interesting 12 months or so, so we are really looking forward to seeing who you put forward.

The awards scheme - run by leading retirement developer, Churchill Retirement Living - is designed to honour the work of the UK’s over 65s and celebrates the significant role older people have to play in British society.

As previously mentioned, you can nominate anyone you like who has made a significant contribution in the political field. The two criteria to bear in mind are:

- Nominees must be 65 or over
- The awards recognise specific achievements made by individuals in the last 12 months

Looking forward to your nominations and suggestions - many thanks

Riverwalk Wed 25-Sep-19 14:29:17

Baroness Hale, President of the Supreme Court.

No contest!

LondonGranny Wed 25-Sep-19 14:32:17

Carole Cadwalladr

LondonGranny Wed 25-Sep-19 14:32:48

Aaargh, no, she's too young!

mcem Wed 25-Sep-19 14:41:13

Lady Hale
(Joanna Cherry of course but too young!)

EllanVannin Wed 25-Sep-19 17:27:42

Shirley Williams.

Nortsat46 Wed 25-Sep-19 17:49:55

Baroness Hale (and her marvellous brooches).

BBbevan Wed 25-Sep-19 20:09:01

Another vote for Baroness Hale

Tea3 Wed 25-Sep-19 20:44:13

Shirley Williams

JessK Wed 25-Sep-19 22:11:28

Dame Margaret Hodge

annodomini Wed 25-Sep-19 22:54:15

Baroness Shirley Williams

Riverwalk Thu 26-Sep-19 07:28:49

Dame Margaret Hodge won last year.

Baroness Shirley Williams is very nice but what has she specifically achieved in the last 12 months?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:48:50

Lady Hale.

winterwhite Sun 29-Sep-19 18:49:46

I think Riverwalk is right - Lady Hale is a no brainer this year, unless I’ve missed anyone really outstanding.

Tangerine Sun 29-Sep-19 20:21:06

Lady Hale

Anniebach Sun 29-Sep-19 21:08:56

Is Lady Hale involved in politics ?

LondonGranny Sun 29-Sep-19 21:33:48

No. She was a law lecturer working part time as a barrister when she was younger. She's always been in law. She's hugely clever. I think I'm right in saying she got a Starred First at university.

LondonGranny Sun 29-Sep-19 21:37:22

Yeah, I just googled her. Although she's a member of the House of Lords but very senior judges are, like Bishops are which isn't the same as being a politician.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Hale,_Baroness_Hale_of_Richmond

M0nica Sun 29-Sep-19 22:19:39

Lady Hale

Riverwalk Mon 30-Sep-19 08:14:02

I think Lady Hale could be said to be involved in politics with a small 'p'.

The decision of the Supreme Court is above party politics but it's surely a momentous political occasion.

Currently the political landscape is so polarised that it would be impossible for me to choose someone readily identified with party politics.

M0nica Mon 30-Sep-19 08:44:11

Yes, an interesting point. Judges have to be apolitical. I have a close friend who was a judge, I know how her sympathies lie on social issues, but not what her political beliefs are.

She was not involved in criminal cases, but, as she always made clear, her job was limited to considering how the law applied to those who she dealt with, regardless of whether she had sympathy for their circumstances or not.

Anniebach Mon 30-Sep-19 08:55:05

Lady Hale was one of eleven judges wasn’t she ?

lemongrove Mon 30-Sep-19 09:08:24

Therefore not involved in politics, surely?

lemongrove Mon 30-Sep-19 09:18:23

I nominate Theresa May for her dedicated work to bring an
Agreement to the HOC that most of the MP’s could vote for.
They didn’t of course, but I feel she worked tirelessly to try and unite both Leavers and Remainers in Parliament, and in the country in general.It was a thankless task, but she never gave up and remained polite at all times, which in itself required backbone.

trisher Mon 30-Sep-19 09:19:03

Like to nominate Sandi Toksvig for having the confidence to take new career steps in her late 50s, get into politics and still remain someone with a sense of humour who cares about people.
But I like Lady Hale as well!