Gransnet forums

Site stuff

HQ please

(41 Posts)
grapefruitpip Thu 24-Oct-19 13:59:08

spout ignorant remarks

How is this acceptable?

Is it OK for one poster to say exactly as she wishes and not abide by the rules?

I was under the impression that insults were not permitted.

It is insulting to call somebody ignorant.

Many thanks.

Baggs Thu 24-Oct-19 15:02:15

You need to report the post containing the offending words, then HQ know exactly what you're talking about.

Not having seen the context, I don't think "spout ignorant remarks" sounds bad. It could just be someone's (jaundiced?) opinion. Jaundiced opinions are allowed, I think.

grapefruitpip Thu 24-Oct-19 15:12:57

Ok fair enough. I think it's very rude.

petra Thu 24-Oct-19 15:31:52

It wouldn't offend me at all. If that's someone's opinion of my view, so be it, that's their right.

I'm the one with the problem if I'm offended by words from someone I've never met or ever likely too.

Gonegirl Thu 24-Oct-19 15:36:53

I don't like it.

Gonegirl Thu 24-Oct-19 15:39:07

It implies that the poster is ignorant.

I don't understand why some posts should be 'spouted' and others just, well.... posted. confused

lemongrove Thu 24-Oct-19 16:07:15

It’s mild compared with many things said on GN, why would anyone worry about it? hmm
The last time you started a thread like this grapefruitpip others told you the procedure, which is report a post to GNHQ not start a thread of your own.

petra Thu 24-Oct-19 16:29:25

Gonegirl
I'm assuming that spout ignorant remarks was said to the OP.

'If' I ever was offended I wouldn't need other people's opinions to validate mine.

grapefruitpip Thu 24-Oct-19 16:39:31

The last time you started a thread like this grapefruitpip others told you the procedure, which is report a post to GNHQ not start a thread of your own

Aw man, who exactly do you think you are?

notanan2 Thu 24-Oct-19 16:41:52

I think its fine for a poster to think an opinion/point of view/remark is ignorant.

Not as insulting as saying "YOU are ignorant" (as a more blanket comment on the person)

lemongrove Thu 24-Oct-19 17:08:21

grapefruitpip ......I think that I’m a poster on GN who knows the rules/procedures.You had a thread similar to this one deleted.If HQ don’t agree with you about a post that you report then you don’t start a thread complaining about it.
Those are the rules, not made up by me.

Greenfinch Thu 24-Oct-19 17:09:03

To me it is the same thing.An ignorant comment is made by an ignorant person. Both are unacceptable.

notanan2 Thu 24-Oct-19 17:30:35

Dont agree. Nobody is an expert in everything. You can be intelligent and an expert in many things but still form your opinons on some subjects from a point of ignorance.

petra Thu 24-Oct-19 17:48:07

notanan2
Exactly. When watching some quiz programs I'll shout what!! OH will point out that I can't grasp Algebra.

Gonegirl Thu 24-Oct-19 17:55:12

Why does the poster (whoever it was) say Grapefruitpip "spouts" her posts.

grapefruitpip Thu 24-Oct-19 18:10:35

It wasn't actually directed at me. It was the thread about guts and medications.

Now, I'll get it in the neck for thread about thread about rudeness.

Gonegirl Thu 24-Oct-19 18:12:24

grin Never mind. Laugh it off.

Greenfinch Thu 24-Oct-19 18:12:38

I was thinking of the more informal meaning of ignorant ie discourteous or rude. This is one of the problems of the English language :the same word can have several meanings and on GN it is not always clear what a poster is saying.

Callistemon Thu 24-Oct-19 18:16:26

Aw man, who exactly do you think you are?
Is that an offending post?
hmm

If you report the offending post, grapefruitpip, then HQ can decide whether it's a personal attack and whether or not it should be deleted.

Callistemon Thu 24-Oct-19 18:17:52

I'm just wondering whether it's the ignorant or the spouting which is offensive

hmm

grapefruitpip Thu 24-Oct-19 18:25:57

Ok many thanks.

Callistemon Thu 24-Oct-19 18:29:00

grapefruitpip
I've just had another look at the gut and pills thread; possibly it became rather 'lively' and you and I (and others) could be guilty of using the sm*g word more than once, so I'm not sure if that could be considered equally offensive.

I would think Let it Go, Let it Go ....

I expect this will be deleted soon as a thread about a thread anyway.

Gonegirl Thu 24-Oct-19 18:50:29

The what word? confused

Greenfinch Thu 24-Oct-19 18:52:57

This thread seems to be "an exchange of mutual mystification".

Callistemon Thu 24-Oct-19 18:58:37

smug, Gonegirl

{It's not swearing!}

Greenfinch grin