Gransnet forums

Site stuff

HQ is it really acceptable ....

(221 Posts)
suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 12:22:34

to post any story at all about Meghan and Harry no matter how lacking in evidence from whatever gutter source? Can they just be libelled by posts on GN because it’s open season on them and they therefore have no rights? Opinion is one thing but on here it’s now often inseparable from lies.

Chewbacca Thu 23-Jan-20 14:07:45

here we go- invoke the Nazis

I claim Godwin's Law! grin

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 14:09:43

Yes I was surprised at that annie. You were quite right to report that and HQ’s reply is awful.

Chewbacca Thu 23-Jan-20 14:13:42

You really do protest too much suziewoozie. You asked on one of the threads, and site stuff, as to whether there was a hide button, so that you didn't have to see threads that irked you. You were given the details as to how threads can be hidden. But you're obviously not using it and neither are you just scrolling past the threads you dislike. For the sake of those of who do want to discuss items of news, and your own satisfaction, why don't you just scroll on past or hide threads? confused Or do you actually enjoy throwing a tantrum because no one is listening to you? Not even GNHQ?

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 14:13:49

Thank you suzie I really was concerned it would cause trouble for the forum, seems not unless it is libelling a poster.

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 14:16:27

suzie you didn’t speak out again the allegation yet you
start a thread complaining that what has been in the press is
being discussed.

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 14:24:09

Read my OP properly annie I was making the point about truth and lies, fact and opinion. Distinctions I realise that are not highly valued or maybe not even understood by some on GN.

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 14:30:24

Soz Chew given that the Nazis didn’t win the war, I am exercising the democratic right I therefore have to change my mind, be inconsistent, protest about whatever I want just as you lot are free to gossip, malign, even if appears, lie about, make it up as you go along, about M and H. I know you’d all rather be left in peace to post as you wish but well tough

Chewbacca Thu 23-Jan-20 14:35:45

Godwin's Law twice in one thread! grin

kittylester Thu 23-Jan-20 14:36:49

suziewoozie please dont be rude to other posters. Argue your point - yes - but to insult people is dreadful.

I consider you owe merlot, at least, an apology!

Chestnut Thu 23-Jan-20 14:39:07

suziewoozie H and M are real people with a little baby who should not just be a punch bag on GN?
Oh the hypocrisy! How many 'real people' have you used as a punch bag SW including other GN posters. Stones and glass houses come to mind. Why don't you concern yourself with your own posts and let others do the same.

kittylester Thu 23-Jan-20 14:40:25

And thank you for permission to report your posts.

quizqueen Thu 23-Jan-20 14:47:31

As the general public doesn't actually know what are lies or what are not, it's all really down to a personal opinion. An opinion is not libellous and everyone is entitled to have one on any topic they see fit.

Also, how can anyone say something they have read or heard is actually a lie, unless they have proof of it personally. That is just as ridiculous a statement . Really, it's just an opinion that something is a lie or something is truth depending on one's thoughts on a subject. People who take public funding should be open to receive criticism ( or praise or, indeed, neutrality).

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 14:57:34

kitty you know I wasn’t giving permission but responding to merlot. You lot are really scraping the bottom of the barrel aren’t you? Sure sign of losing the argument re the acceptability of lying.

quizqueen Thu 23-Jan-20 15:01:16

Last night during the Thomas Markle interview, we were shown home videos, which purport to show that he and his daughter had a close and loving relationship when she was growing up. This looks like actual proof to me of the real situation, and not lies. Now, Meghan is reported to not be in contact her father. Why that is, can only be a matter of opinion for outsiders. Truth versus opinion; it's all up for discussion surely.

merlotgran Thu 23-Jan-20 15:06:07

Thank you, kitty

The insults will continue no doubt.

Some people don't know any better.

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 15:12:05

quiz of course I can see that the interpretation of something is an opinion. But if you state fo example ‘ MM received. money for allowing her photo to be taken in the park’ that is either true or not - a fact or a lie and definitely not an opinion

suziewoozie Thu 23-Jan-20 15:12:35

Insults = criticism

Jaycee5 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:17:02

Anniebach I agree. That should have been reported and the response was wrong. It is not a word that should be used directly of anyone who has not been convicted.

Suziewoozie I agree. It is like a fishewives' convention at times. There seems to be at least one a day. The gleeful hope for a divorce to gloat over is the least of it, the detailed knowledge people have of personal relationships is something to behold.

Artdecogran Thu 23-Jan-20 15:18:49

Suzie regarding your last statement about MM taking money or not, it is still only a matter of opinion because no one actually knows whether she has accepted money. It cannot be stated as fact, so until you have definitive proof from the horses mouth, then you are castigating someone as a liar with no basis in truth.

Oopsminty Thu 23-Jan-20 15:23:53

It is like a fishewives' convention at times

Have you ever been to one, Jaycee5?

I've never been to a 'fishewives' convention' so I'd not know what they are like

Maybe that's a 'lie'

This thread has been started for no real reason

Surely if we're concerned about posts we should report?

I must say I am amazed that the Prince Andrew one is allowed to stand though

3nanny6 Thu 23-Jan-20 15:28:25

I am in agreement with Anniebach about the post saying Prince Andrew was a paedophile. I did not go as far as to report it however I thought it presumptuous to make the accusation as after all Prince Andrew has not been on trial or convicted of that offence as yet.

To have been friendly with someone he knew behaved in that sort of way with underage girls shows he was not making a conscious effort to distance himself from that disgusting behaviour.
Prince Andrew has two daughters but no grand-children as yet I would for certain think twice if I was his daughter whether I would want him near my children.

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 15:48:41

It was stating someone was guilty of a crime but he had not even been charged with that crime or any crime.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 23-Jan-20 16:35:29

Hello, HQ here.
@anniebach if you could report that post again we will take a look at it. As far as we are aware we've dealt with any libellous posts but if one has slipped through the net please let us know and we will rectify.
As far as general moderation goes, we do try to delete any posts that we feel go too far whilst still allowing people to voice their opinions. We will continue to delete any posts we feel are racist or break any of our other guidelines so please do report anything you feel is amiss. We don't always get it right, we know, but please bear in mind moderation can sometimes be a very grey area and we're never going to please everyone. Thanks again for being our eyes in particularly busy times when it's not possible for us to see every post. HQ

Anniebach Thu 23-Jan-20 16:45:46

LaraGransnet it would mean searching through all the threads on the royals, I wish I hadn’t deleted the reply I received. I definitely asked was it safe for Gransnet. My concern was it being read by other than members of the forum.

I will try , it still troubles me .

Eglantine21 Thu 23-Jan-20 16:50:42

It was in the “I feel sorry for Prince Garry” thread and sparkii stated categorically that he was a paedophile. Her post has since been deleted.

I was very shocked that Gransnet left it in the thread for such a lng while. Even more shocked Annie that you were told it was acceptable.