Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Answering your questions about Mumsnet premium and how this affects Gransnet

(65 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 16:16:45

Hello! We wanted to address a few questions that have come up about Mumsnet's new Premium service and whether or not Gransnet will be doing the same.

We just wanted to start by saying that we are not asking you to pay to use Gransnet and we have no plans to.

We think it's really important that anyone, no matter their situation, is able to access the collective wisdom, support and connection that the site offers. Gransnet is free and we are committed to keeping it that way. Cost shouldn't be a barrier.

But, as you're no doubt aware and we've mentioned before, we are dependant on advertising in order to keep the site running, and marketing budgets have been slashed across the board. It's affecting all businesses, including ours. This is not an easy time for anyone. flowers

Mumsnet has this week launched an optional premium service. The benefit to users who opt for this is that they will see far fewer ads (in particular banner ads). But we really want to emphasise that this is optional and Mumsnet too will remain free otherwise.

We would love to hear from those of you who would like to see Gransnet thrive, who get enjoyment, or support, or friendship from others on the boards.

If having fewer ads on the site would benefit you and you feel it would be something you would be prepared to pay for, then we can see if this is something we can offer on Gransnet too. It depends on how many of you would be interested so do comment below if this might be for you. But again, the site will remain free otherwise, whether many of you are interested in a premium option or not.

Here is a link to Mumsnet's FAQs which should answer any further questions you have.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy Easter full of sunshine (and hopefully a decent amount of chocolate). sunshine

Thanks
GNHQ

inishowen Sat 11-Apr-20 10:50:33

I dont notice the ads.

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 11-Apr-20 11:31:43

It's fine as it is.
I just ignore the ads.
Keep it accessible and free.

SueB14 Sat 11-Apr-20 12:06:35

Keep Gransnet as it is. Many lonely grans enjoy the wisdom of other grans who ‘know the answers’ or have good ideas etc. Living on a pension only can be a struggle so having to pay for Gransnet might mean they can no longer afford to have it and I for one really enjoy another persons take on things. It’s also an interaction with other people which is important. Keep it free please.

gulliver12 Sat 11-Apr-20 12:27:34

Happy with ads As above barely notice them. Like NikDumpling researchers used to question me about drug adverts and I could say it was for an antibiotic, an NSAID or a contraceptive pill but had no idea which so the advertisers were increasing awareness of their field but not their own products over their competitors

CardiffJaguar Sat 11-Apr-20 12:42:41

No need to change. Those who find ads a problem there are quite a few methods online to use that are effective.

FlexibleFriend Sat 11-Apr-20 12:51:11

I buy virtually everything on line but never get any ads at all, not that I'm complaining.

Joelise Sat 11-Apr-20 12:53:41

The ads don’t worry me !
Keep GN as it is please.

Heather51 Sat 11-Apr-20 12:58:59

Another one here voting to leave well alone. Never notice the ads.

Esmerelda Sat 11-Apr-20 13:09:21

Not only am I not bothered by the ads, I very rarely see any. I think I scroll down too quickly for them to load (but don't tell them that)! ???

Joesoap Sat 11-Apr-20 13:32:23

Cant say I have noticed the ads, if they are there they havent made an impression, but if they pay for GN to exist who are we to complain.Long live GN

Molly10 Sat 11-Apr-20 13:53:10

I was made aware of, and continue to use, two different products that Gransnet did a testing and advertising promotion for. I'm most grateful for being introduced to these products and hope your advertising support like this continues as it definitely works.

As for paying to not see adverts etc I would not sign up to this. I neither watch influencers or be influenced by them. If I'm not looking for a particular product I will not look at the advert.

Gransnet is a wonderful site which provides a wealth of knowledge, fun and wisdom from many coming from very different walks of life. I see on here almost daily many who rely on this as one of their few contacts with the outside world.

Keep up the good work all at Gransnet. flowers

Annaram1 Sat 11-Apr-20 14:08:10

I actually fell for the clothes ads and looked at the website, and the pictures look good, prices are low, so I succumbed and bought 2 dresses. I had to send one back immediately as it was just too awful, nasty stretchy cloth, and the other I am keeping although it is too long. I will alter it. I have never received a refund for the one I sent back.

Kartush Sat 11-Apr-20 14:15:14

I am a tad confused about all these Ads I should be seeing. As far as I can see there is one on my page. That’s about 30 less than most of the other sites that I visit.

HiPpyChick57 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:02:08

If I do notice an interesting ad I scroll past and think I’ll go back after reading all the posts which of course I forget to do... so the ad couldn’t have been that interesting.

HiPpyChick57 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:04:40

...the comments are far more interesting than the ads!

HannahLoisLuke Sat 11-Apr-20 15:05:27

I do notice that anything I've been browsing pops up on GN, FB etc but it doesn't bother me.
I'm happy to keep GN as it is.

Sue162 Sat 11-Apr-20 15:40:54

Another one here who just ignores the ads. In fact I scroll through TV ads and ignore the ones in newspapers. grin

MrsH21 Sat 11-Apr-20 17:01:38

I didn't realise there were ads on here.I just don't notice them.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 11-Apr-20 17:11:41

SueB14

Keep Gransnet as it is. Many lonely grans enjoy the wisdom of other grans who ‘know the answers’ or have good ideas etc. Living on a pension only can be a struggle so having to pay for Gransnet might mean they can no longer afford to have it and I for one really enjoy another persons take on things. It’s also an interaction with other people which is important. Keep it free please.

Rest assured that there are no plans to charge for Gransnet at all. Mumsnet will be available to all, as it always has been, but with a subscription 'premium' for those who choose, but nothing will change here at Gransnet.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 11-Apr-20 17:13:00

Annaram1

I actually fell for the clothes ads and looked at the website, and the pictures look good, prices are low, so I succumbed and bought 2 dresses. I had to send one back immediately as it was just too awful, nasty stretchy cloth, and the other I am keeping although it is too long. I will alter it. I have never received a refund for the one I sent back.

If there are ads you have seen on this site for companies whose service you've had problems with, let us know - we can look at making sure they don't appear in future

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Sat 11-Apr-20 17:13:57

And a massive thank you, once again, for all the kind words, which are greatly appreciated

Sofa Sat 11-Apr-20 20:01:40

I’m another that doesn’t notice the ads!

Wendy Sat 11-Apr-20 20:09:33

I haven’t noticed any adverts. I enjoy Gransnet, although I don’t comment much. I wouldn’t pay for it.

Aepgirl Sat 11-Apr-20 20:51:41

What ads? The advertisers are clearly wasting their money.

Fennel Sat 11-Apr-20 22:16:30

I'm a member on Mumsnet and was a bit worried when they sent me an email about this. But not surprised. The income from adverts etc will be an important part of their income.
Not just the popups, but sponsored researches etc.
We need you both, especially now.