Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Answering your questions about Mumsnet premium and how this affects Gransnet

(65 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 16:16:45

Hello! We wanted to address a few questions that have come up about Mumsnet's new Premium service and whether or not Gransnet will be doing the same.

We just wanted to start by saying that we are not asking you to pay to use Gransnet and we have no plans to.

We think it's really important that anyone, no matter their situation, is able to access the collective wisdom, support and connection that the site offers. Gransnet is free and we are committed to keeping it that way. Cost shouldn't be a barrier.

But, as you're no doubt aware and we've mentioned before, we are dependant on advertising in order to keep the site running, and marketing budgets have been slashed across the board. It's affecting all businesses, including ours. This is not an easy time for anyone. flowers

Mumsnet has this week launched an optional premium service. The benefit to users who opt for this is that they will see far fewer ads (in particular banner ads). But we really want to emphasise that this is optional and Mumsnet too will remain free otherwise.

We would love to hear from those of you who would like to see Gransnet thrive, who get enjoyment, or support, or friendship from others on the boards.

If having fewer ads on the site would benefit you and you feel it would be something you would be prepared to pay for, then we can see if this is something we can offer on Gransnet too. It depends on how many of you would be interested so do comment below if this might be for you. But again, the site will remain free otherwise, whether many of you are interested in a premium option or not.

Here is a link to Mumsnet's FAQs which should answer any further questions you have.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy Easter full of sunshine (and hopefully a decent amount of chocolate). sunshine

Thanks
GNHQ

arosebyanyothername Sat 11-Apr-20 23:53:18

To be honest, any adds on here pass me by.

GreenGran78 Sun 12-Apr-20 00:17:45

Tweedlw24. Ref your ‘pleasuring chair’ ads, For ages I kept getting email ads offering me, ahem, p**is enlargement! As I am female, I was almost tempted to ask how this would be accomplished. I kept blocking them, but others came in their place, but they eventually stopped.
I also can’t think how I got onto a mailing list for such products! ?

GabriellaG54 Sun 12-Apr-20 03:19:40

I used to see add for 'teen' clothes and awful grungy Joe Brown clobber but since downloading ESet security on my phone, I don't see any ads at all. There are big blank spaces between some of the posts with the miniscule word 'Ad' in blue in the top right corner.

Txquiltz Sun 12-Apr-20 03:29:55

Ads don't bother me.

TerryM Sun 12-Apr-20 06:31:11

I do see ads but not sure if Google or GN. Confession time I do look at online ads and have purchased things via that.
However the only GN is Amazon Audible ...the others are period knickers which I am long since passed smile

TerryM Sun 12-Apr-20 06:34:19

Just read Mumsnet FAQ. I am not a prolific poster but do enjoy GN. If funds will assist I would be more than happy to pay an annual fee

hicaz46 Sun 12-Apr-20 09:15:38

I too never really notice the ads. I rarely notice ads on any sites and merely just think of them as a slightly irritating nuisance.

MerylStreep Sun 12-Apr-20 09:39:11

Annaram
It was for posters like you who were ( and still are ?) being ripped off by these companies. I contacted GN months ago concerning these adds but was told there wasn't much they could do.
If you see any sites that you might be interested in, go onto FB, there you will get the truth.
I continue to wage my campaign on these companies via FB.
I've had 2 strikes ( serious warning) the next time it's a life ban so I'm very careful now how I word my posts.

NanaPlenty Sun 12-Apr-20 10:30:25

Very happy as it is and I don’t notice any ads

Harris27 Sun 12-Apr-20 10:33:53

I’ve niticed the ads don’t bother me I just quickly skip over them too busy reading the posts

blondenana Sun 12-Apr-20 11:39:37

I think the Tiger one was for Esso
I wouldn't pay for a no ad site, and i think at the moment a lot of people wont be able to afford to pay any more for anything

glammagran Sun 12-Apr-20 12:48:18

I see GN is carrying adverts for a Chinese company that keeps changing its name and sells the most unbelievable shoddy tat. I know because I fell victim to this scam. I ordered 2 dresses neither of which fitted. One was a tent for someone of about size 20, the other about size 10 with nearly a one foot difference in length. They said I could only return the items to China at my own expense when I complained. I reported them to trading standards and eventually I got my money back through the credit card I had used.

Bamm Sun 12-Apr-20 19:05:35

I quite like the adverts.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 13-Apr-20 11:45:17

glamma do email us and let us know details if there are ads for any company you have problems with - thanks so much