Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Answering your questions about Mumsnet premium and how this affects Gransnet

(64 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Apr-20 16:16:45

Hello! We wanted to address a few questions that have come up about Mumsnet's new Premium service and whether or not Gransnet will be doing the same.

We just wanted to start by saying that we are not asking you to pay to use Gransnet and we have no plans to.

We think it's really important that anyone, no matter their situation, is able to access the collective wisdom, support and connection that the site offers. Gransnet is free and we are committed to keeping it that way. Cost shouldn't be a barrier.

But, as you're no doubt aware and we've mentioned before, we are dependant on advertising in order to keep the site running, and marketing budgets have been slashed across the board. It's affecting all businesses, including ours. This is not an easy time for anyone. flowers

Mumsnet has this week launched an optional premium service. The benefit to users who opt for this is that they will see far fewer ads (in particular banner ads). But we really want to emphasise that this is optional and Mumsnet too will remain free otherwise.

We would love to hear from those of you who would like to see Gransnet thrive, who get enjoyment, or support, or friendship from others on the boards.

If having fewer ads on the site would benefit you and you feel it would be something you would be prepared to pay for, then we can see if this is something we can offer on Gransnet too. It depends on how many of you would be interested so do comment below if this might be for you. But again, the site will remain free otherwise, whether many of you are interested in a premium option or not.

Here is a link to Mumsnet's FAQs which should answer any further questions you have.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy Easter full of sunshine (and hopefully a decent amount of chocolate). sunshine

Thanks
GNHQ

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 20:51:20

I honestly don’t notice the ads - not sure what this says about me but I must be an advertising agency’s worst nightmare.

suziewoozie Thu 09-Apr-20 20:52:01

But Happy Easter and much chocolate

NfkDumpling Thu 09-Apr-20 21:32:32

The only time I notice ads is when I inadvertently click on one while scrolling. I’m afraid they don’t have any affect on me (that I’ve noticed). But don’t tell the advertisers that if it keeps GN free!

Barmeyoldbat Thu 09-Apr-20 21:37:41

I have never really noticed the adverts either. Happy to keep it as it is

NfkDumpling Fri 10-Apr-20 07:37:22

A long time ago, a friend's mum got a job as a researcher going round asking what you noticed about certain adverts and whether you then bought the product. (A lot of freebie's were involved.) I could sing a lot of the jingles, knew the logo's - Put a tiger in your tank, etc. But could never remember the name of the product. The tiger was for petrol, but which one?

Mal44 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:36:51

I agree I never notice the adds and always wonder why television adds use stars and celebrities to promote their products.I would probably remember the celeb but not the product.Perhaps it's an age thing not being influenced by advertising.We know what we want and where it can be found!

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 09:42:28

I am another who rarely notices the ads and have never responded to any.

If they keep GN free, I can live with them.

Nonnie Fri 10-Apr-20 09:52:06

Please don't say you don't see them. GN will close if you convince the advertisers they are wasting their money!!

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 10:15:31

Shall I pretend I have bought lots of the cheap shoddy clothes that are endlessly advertised on GN.

It is almost insulting that they think we would want to wear such cheap tat.

If people want to advertise to us, then they should advertise things we may want to buy, that given our wide varity of ages, incomes, health and living circumstances, gives them a huge choice. Supermarkets and food, places giving senior discounts, restaurants, cars, make-up, benefit entitlements. That is a good wide range to start with and I am sure others could mention other categories that might actually interest at least some of us on GN. Even aids for those with disabilities, chairs, beds, adjustments etc. (but NOT funeral plans)

libra10 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:19:09

I use an ad blocker which stops intrusive advertising.

However, am turning it off if it helps to support Gransnet, such a useful resource.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Apr-20 10:28:37

Thank you very much for the support - we really appreciate it! flowers

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Apr-20 10:31:12

Hi MOnica, some ads are from partners but others like the clothing ones you mention are most likely from Google and are usually based on cookies or browsing history so not within our control. smile.

Thank you for the suggestions though. Much appreciated.

henetha Fri 10-Apr-20 10:47:39

I completely ignore the ads and have often wondered why they bother

glammanana Fri 10-Apr-20 10:47:48

The ads don't bother me at all but would any premium service be paid for as just a one off subscription or annually ? just asking really

Nortsat Fri 10-Apr-20 11:13:40

Happy Easter GNHQ.

I don’t mind the ads and sometimes things come up which I find interesting or companies I haven’t heard of, so I follow the links.

I enjoy GN and as in life, I pick and choose the elements that interest me and ignore some of the others. ?

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 13:36:52

All I can say is that google profiling is very poor. I rarely buy clothes online - and certainly not of the quality I understand these clothes to be. Why do I not get adverts for garden supplies, plants, secondhand books, organic face care. In fact any of the things I actually do buy online.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Apr-20 15:28:53

To answer your question glammanana, IF and only if we did offer a premium option, it would probably be along the same lines as Mumsnet (currently they're offering a monthly or an annual one, the annual working out slightly cheaper).

M0nica, I feel your pain. I am not in the market for slippers right now but the same (quite ugly) pair have been following me around the internet for weeks! grin

Babs758 Fri 10-Apr-20 15:29:05

I think adverts for compost and plants on line, veg boxes and home deliveries of stuff would be more appropriate than clothes being advertised right now. Happy to volunteer for Gransnet marketing and advert sourcing! Our own large village has done a tremendous job of getting g people together to put together and deliver stuff and we are sharing information as to where to order online for food etc when the main supermarkets do not have slots until July!

Tweedle24 Fri 10-Apr-20 17:49:44

I got an ad for a ‘pleasuring chair’ from Wish. Have I ever said I am that frustrated?

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 10-Apr-20 18:15:33

Hi Babs758 - again that sounds like Google ads and again based on cookies and nothing to do with us I'm afraid. Thanks for the offer though!
That said, if you do see any dodgy looking ads (Tweedle24 - that chair sounds suspect!) please email us (with a screenshot if you can) and we can see what we can do about those.

Tweedle24 Fri 10-Apr-20 18:27:12

It wasn’t on GN - just an example of the sort of ads that the internet throws up as appropriate.

mumofmadboys Fri 10-Apr-20 21:22:13

I am another one who never notices the adverts.

Moggycuddler Sat 11-Apr-20 10:45:29

Nope. I barely notice ads. Scroll right over them.

Roni Sat 11-Apr-20 10:48:56

Happy as it is.